PDA

View Full Version : the buddha

Paul Pless
04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Probably gonna watch this tonight. It'll be tough ignoring Richard Gere though.

http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha/

Popeye
04-07-2010, 01:53 PM
it's good to relax a little after a long hard day of relaxing

Paul Pless
04-07-2010, 01:54 PM
i agree

ishmael
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
The skip on a tour boat I crewed on must have worn out a t-shirt. We had to wear khakis and white shirts, but under the white shirt Greg was fond of a Buckaroo Banzai shirt. "Wherever you go, there you are."

Is that Bhuddist enough for you?

My favorite story of the Buddha is of a man asking him, seeing that there was something special here, are you a god? "No, I'm not a god, I am awake."

Personally, I met the buddha on the road the other day. She was lost, didn't know where home was. I gave her a ride to town. When we got to town she still didn't know where she was going. That lost look in the eyes which speaks of the road.

Try to be kind and honest. That's all I know.

Uncle Duke
04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Personally, I met the buddha on the road the other day. She was lost, didn't know where home was. I gave her a ride to town. When we got to town she still didn't know where she was going. That lost look in the eyes which speaks of the road.
Uhm... that's not the buddha, dude. That's your desire manifesting itself.
And that last sentence isn't one.

ishmael
04-07-2010, 03:33 PM
You can see it that way if you want, Duke. She was just a rambling lady who I had no connection with except that I offered a lift. She was nice enough, I've been in her position. Maybe not quite. It was a minor encounter, a middle-aged lady in need of a lift and I gave her one. Was she the Buddha? You bet, without equivocation.

paladin
04-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Prince Sidhartha was one cool dude.

Uncle Duke
04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Was she the Buddha? You bet, without equivocation
I think that you are taking liberties and re-defining "buddha" here - making it mean what you have personally decided it means. Stretching it to cover your personal feelings at the moment.
Did she educate you on the 'Four Noble Truths" or the "Eightfold Path"?

Hollingsworth
04-07-2010, 07:02 PM
It's starting now and I'm still stuck at my desk... on a conference call. WWTBD?

BrianY
04-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Well, you did the wrong thing. An old Zen Koan is often quoted as "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

It (the saying) actually comes from an old koan attributed to Zen Master Linji, (the founder of the Rinzai sect). It’s a simple one:

“If you meet the Buddha, kill him.” — Linji

I’m sure you already realize that it’s not being literal. The road, the killing, and even the Buddha are symbolic.

The road is generally taken to mean the path to Enlightenment; that might be through meditation, study, prayer, or just some aspect of your way of life. Your life is your “road.” That’s fairly straightforward as far as metaphors go.

But how do you meet the Buddha on this “road?” Imagine meeting some symbolic Buddha. Would he be a great teacher that you might actually meet and follow in the real world? Could that Buddha be you yourself, having reached Enlightenment? Or maybe you have some idealized image of perfection that equates to your concept of the Buddha or Enlightenment.

Whatever your conception is of the Buddha, it’s WRONG! Now kill that image and keep practicing. This all has to do with the idea that reality is an impermanent illusion. If you believe that you have a correct image of what it means to be Enlightened, then you need to throw out (kill) that image and keep meditating.

Chris Coose
04-08-2010, 05:34 AM
She was lost, .

Lost = Enligntened ?

TomF
04-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Interesting juxtaposition on the TV last night. My son flipped channels between UFC Fight Night ... and (during commercials) The Buddha.

Sometimes life is comedy.