PDA

View Full Version : Boat on Rossel's book cover

Stephen D
10-20-2000, 06:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm wondering what the boat on the front of Rossel's _Building Small Boats_ is as its not mentioned in the book at all. He does use the Catspaw Dinghy as an example for his lofting, so is that it?

Thanks very much,
Stephen

McMichael
10-20-2000, 09:40 PM
It's not the CATSPAW. I asked Greg the same
question at the school last year and he told me the picture was taken in the New York City
area. I don't think he knew the builder but
he certainly has a good eye for beauty. Greg
uses the CATSPAW in his lofting classes and felt if you can loft this pretty little round
hulled boat,(he puts in another WL, and there are quite a few lines altogether),you should be comfortable with most other designs. He's a great teacher and just a fun guy all around.
If he only liked beer.......yeah,right!

Hazy Chris
10-21-2000, 12:45 PM
Someone asked this question a while back. A fellow named Tom Jackson wrote the following. "It's a Shew & Burnham whitehall. The same boat was featured in WB No. 24 in an article about fitting a whitehall with a centerboard. Plans are not available--Shew & Burnham built all of their boats straight off the lofting floor."

I looked, and it is in fact in WB#24

Stephen D
10-21-2000, 01:23 PM
That is severely dissapointing.. I don't think I've ever seen such a beautiful small boat and as I'm planning to build my first traditional boat for oar & sail I was quite keen on the boat from the cover.

Well, thanks for your replies and I apologize for duplicating a previous post. I should've searched for "Rossel" instead of "Catspaw".

Cheers,
Stephen

McMichael
10-21-2000, 02:51 PM
Don't go postal on us now Steve, the hard part is deciding on WHICH design. There are
lot's of gooduns out there. Ask for THAD on the forum. His site shows some beautifully constructed traditional craft and he seems
very well read in tradional designs available. It's worth a try. LOL