PDA

View Full Version : DOUBLE ENDER DESIGN PLANS

Peter karaguleski
08-18-2000, 01:50 PM
G'Day
I am very much interested in building a Colin Archer / Willim Atkin Double ender. I would like to build the vessel from Steel, round bilge LOD of 50+ ft. If staisfactory steel plans are not available I would consider wood, but I do not want to utilise carvel wood constrcution as I am informed it is much to difficult. Is any one able to recommend any design plans along these lines. I know of george buehler designs but he only utilises single chine. I am not to familiar with Arvher designs..I should be... but am not for the moment........So i would appreciate any particular ecommendations of designs.

Peter karaguleski
08-18-2000, 02:33 PM
...ADDING to my original post........
I should add that i have seen a magnificent example of an Atkin design (design name DRAGON by Atkin) called Pequot. This vessel is an ideal imo & is what i am after, except for 2 things.. 1...it uses carvel.....would prefer steel..or other wood... 2... it is smaller than i would like
Any recommendations of Atkin designs along this line would be very much appreciated.

Jeff Lane
08-19-2000, 04:53 AM
If you write me directly, I can provide plans for a 50', round-bilged double-ender in either cold-molded wood, or steel. Also a 45-footer, (which, I would think, would better suit most people sizewise), done in cold-molded wood/epoxy; not nearly as difficult as carvel planking.
I am definitely familiar with the original Archer designs, and feel that the boats mentioned above are better all-around cruising boats.
I suppose you aren't interested in a double-ended
Norwegian Fishing Vessel, which can be easily converted to sail, for about 1/3 total cost of building your own boat? See those entries in both this forum and the "Building/Repair forum!
Cheers, Jeff Lane
<jeff.lane@hl.telia.no>
P.S.: I have Atkin designs too, but am not aware of any double-enders larger than the 42' 8 1/2" "Little Ranger".
J.L.

Ian McColgin
08-19-2000, 11:19 AM
Then for something really skinny and neat, look in LFH's 'Sensible Crusing Designs' at the Marco Polo. I much admire the Archer types but I think 55'x10'x6' is hard to beat. She can be built most any way you want, including steel. Dr. Lewis used an enlarged MarcoPolo for his recent Antarctic work. But it would be hard to beat the durability of wood, whether conventional, glued & splined, or Cutts method.

If you check the later of Roger Taylor's series of more&more&more&more Good Boats, he has Marco Polo and Munroe's Pilgrim Belle and interesting comparisons.

I like that book 'cause it has most of Cmdr Beebe's account of taking a MarcoPolo NYC to Abaco. It was the first Yachting magazine article that I read as a child and understood and is why I loved the design from afar for over 30 years before finding Granna.

I know the Atkins/Archer units are more ubiquitous than the MarcoPolo and they are wholesome designs in a broad hipped scandanavian way but, as St John Perse wrote in 'Seamarks' (pardon a translation from memory)

Narrow are our vessels
And narrow our lover's couch.

G'luck

Phil Young
08-23-2000, 01:29 AM
There has been for quite some time, probably still is, for sale in Adelaide SA a very nice looking 50'double ender, carvel, seems to be very solid and good condition. Asking about A$160 000 I think, maybe Quinn's have it listed. Well worth a look I'd suggest for probably quite a bit less than it will cost you to build and fit out a new boat.

Michael
09-19-2000, 10:48 AM
...and would you mind disclosing your commission on this deal, Phil?

Dave K
02-10-2004, 08:59 PM
I doubt if anyone is checking this thread this late, but just in case - for steel double-enders you might consider... 1) "Tahitiana" -updated "Tahiti" ketch by Weston Farmer 2) Several steel "pinky" designs by Tom Colvin. I know Tom personally an dhis designs have wandered over all the oceans.

Jeff Robinson
02-10-2004, 09:10 PM
I had a link a while ago to a reprint article on building Tahitiana, and all about her. Now lost - can anyone provide it?

JR

John B
02-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Isn't Pequot the Hedgers old boat. If so, you might want to seriously reconsider. If the workmanship on that boat is anything at all like that of Decatur, you might want to grab it with both hands before it escapes.
What's so bad about carvel timber constuction for you ?

Chris.
02-11-2004, 01:23 AM
There is also a steel marco Polo for sale at Oyster Cove, just south of Hobart. I had a look at it from the dock in January, and it shapes up good. At AUD125,000 it is a lot cheaper than building your own. have a look at
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Content/WebPhotos/313/TM/TM097-313-01.jpg
Oyster Cove marina (http://www.boatpoint.com.au/oyster)