PDA

View Full Version : Looking for building help in the NH Lakes Region - Gerr Marine 28' Offshore Skiff

mhtimber
04-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the right WB forum to post this in but at least it's on topic.

I am looking for someone from the NH lakes region to help me on nights and weekends, building a 28' Offshore Skiff from Gerr Marine (http://www.gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr28skiff/gerr28skiffC.GIF).

I am happy to pay for their time, commensurate with experience. I am hoping to find someone with a lot of experience so I can learn from them while we work and, if they are interested and available, they could work on the project sometimes when I cannot.

Specific experience I am looking for include plywood boat building; laminating stems, knees, beams; epoxy work; general joinery.

Also happy to work with a boat building shop, have them fabricate parts in their shop as necessary but the boat itself is being built in my workshop.

The project is taking place at my summer camp on Rattlesnake Island, Lake Winnipesaukee, in Alton NH and being documented at Sustainableboat.com (http://sustainableboat.com/blog1/). I can provide transport to/from the island and have dock space available if they have their own boat.

I would appreciate talking with anyone here who may be interested or could make introductions.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

CundysHarbor
04-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Looks like a fun boat, keep the pictures coming. As a Scout I went to camp every summer in West Alton, overlooking Rattlesnake. I'll bet it has changed a little. We drank from the Lake then (51-58).

mhtimber
04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Looks like a fun boat, keep the pictures coming. As a Scout I went to camp every summer in West Alton, overlooking Rattlesnake. I'll bet it has changed a little. We drank from the Lake then (51-58).

Thanks, I'm really excited about the project. The pictures will start up again in May after I transition back out to my workshop on Rattlesnake and knock of my honey-do list.

Next step in the project is to assemble the frames (all pieces have already been cut), build the grid, and start erecting frames.

Funny you mention drinking from the lake; we still do occassionally, at least if we're out of water for a cup of coffee. In a pinch we still strain through coffee filters and do a quick boil to sanitize but fortunately the water is still very clean and my foot valve is placed directly over a spring.

Cheers
Jeff