PDA

View Full Version : air pump in 84 dodge pickup

seafox
04-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I was delivering a cord of wood yesterday and just as I got to the guys house what Ive been told is the air pump underneith a EGR valve froze up and destroyed the v belt luckly it was a seperate belt than anything else and so i was able to drive home with no problem. one friend said they run about 65 dollers A and not having it might hurt the catalitic converter but luckly i have 10 months till the next emissions but what other effects will driving with out this thing that no longer wants to turn? is it something I might get at a junkyard fairly easily for lower cost?
thankyou for your comments
jeff

BrianW
04-05-2010, 12:51 AM
I'd also look at a salvaged pump. After all, how much longer is the truck going to run?

mmd
04-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I drove my old truck ('87 GMC S-15) for about four years with the air pump disconnected. Didn't do any harm to the vehicle, didn't change performance nor gas mileage. Don't know about emissions quality - we don't have that kind of testing 'round here.

Dan McCosh
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
The smog pumps were an exhaust aftertreatment, and didn't affect the engine performance much one way or another. Without it working it would probably show a rich mixture in an emission test. The truck is probably polluting at 500 times the rate of a new car anyway.