PDA

View Full Version : I think I need to cook more.

Captain Intrepid
04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Made these this afternoon after work.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3240/appletart.jpg
Caramel apple tarts.

Figured out two things with these, finally figured out my own way of making flaky pastry, and learned how to make caramel.

I made the crust with flour, unsweetened butter, a bit of sugar and salt, and cold water. I mixed the dry ingredients, and added chilled butter cut into small cubes, just until the cubes started breaking apart. Then I added cold water until it held together, laid it on the counter, and rolled it out and folded it a couple times, to try and form more layers of butter in an attempt to make it flaky. (I think it worked, but it's hard to tell with the caramel soaking the crusts) I cut out the crusts and put em in greased muffin tins, which went in the refrigerator. Then I made caramel for the first time ever. I did it the wet way, where you dissolve your sugar in water first as I don't trust my range's ability to be controlled enough to try it with dry sugar.

Just when the caramel reached the colour I wanted, I added diced apples (tossed in nutmeg and cinnamon with a dash of vanilla), and used those to shock it. The apple caramel mixture by itself would be a wonderful sauce on a good vanilla ice cream. I spooned the mixture into the tart shells and baked them until they were lightly browned. I think the most wonderful discovery was as the caramel bubbled up, it coated the outside of the crusts, and then hardened. It added a delightful crunch to them.

Now I just need to decide what to try next. I've been thinking about puff pastry, but perhaps I should try something that isn't mostly butter. :D

oznabrag
04-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Just when the caramel reached the colour I wanted, I added diced apples (tossed in nutmeg and cinnamon with a dash of vanilla), and used those to shock it. The apple caramel mixture by itself would be a wonderful sauce on a good vanilla ice cream. I spooned the mixture into the tart shells and baked them until they were lightly browned. I think the most wonderful discovery was as the caramel bubbled up, it coated the outside of the crusts, and then hardened. It added a delightful crunch to them.

Sounds to me like you should get a coupla scoops of Mexican Vanilla nice and soft, nuke one of your pastries there, and mash the sizzling pastry into the ice cream.

Heh, heh, heh....:cool:

Captain Intrepid
04-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Well, as a matter of fact, I had a couple refuse to come out of the tin nicely, and plan to do just that if there are any left when I wake up tomorrow. :D Though I'll use a french vanilla ice cream. (afaik, mexican vanilla ice cream is just french vanilla ice cream using mexican vanilla beans.)

LeeG
04-03-2010, 07:40 PM
ohh, nice

paladin
04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Try stuffing the pastry back into the fridge for a couple of hours before baking....you will get a flakier crust....usually.....When I make croissants I work it, toss it in the fridge...and bring it out to work etc....ya dunno wanna the butter to get soft as it is absorbed by the flour.

Captain Intrepid
04-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I put the pastry in the freezer for a bit to chill it before i rolled it out.

Vinny&Shawn
04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Just looking at them made my mouth water, we are having cream puffs for desert,yummy!!

paladin
04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I have bread in the pan waiting to rise...should be good tomorrow morning about8-9 a.m. Fresh, fresh sandwich rolls, cole slaw, corn on cob, potato salad, smoked pork butt and sauce, ribs, got the big mushrooms and tore the stems out and making a bunch of crab filling, may make crab/shrimp Chai Gio. I did make a nice peach cobbler and a blackberry cobbler but no ice cream. Tonight...French onion soup gratinee.

Bruce Taylor
04-03-2010, 09:30 PM
finally figured out my own way of making flaky pastry

Maggie has a little trick that helps: she freezes the butter, then grates it into the pastry dough with a cheese-grater.

S B
04-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Flaky pastry,keep it all cool, cut everything in and don't work the dough too much. Used to bake, I'm too messy, no longer allowed.

Nicholas Carey
04-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Now I just need to decide what to try next. I've been thinking about puff pastry, but perhaps I should try something that isn't mostly butter. :D(My grandfather was a dairy farmer) What's wrong with butter?

:p

You've never lived until you've had milk straight from the teat of a Guernsey cow at ~ 101 deg F (cow body temp). Pale yellow, flecked with darker yellow (can you say "high-butterfat cream? Sure you can!").

Mmmmmm....

Captain Intrepid
04-04-2010, 04:03 PM
(My grandfather was a dairy farmer) What's wrong with butter?

:p

You've never lived until you've had milk straight from the teat of a Guernsey cow at ~ 101 deg F (cow body temp). Pale yellow, flecked with darker yellow (can you say "high-butterfat cream? Sure you can!").

Mmmmmm....

I said perhaps! :p

I've actually always wanted to try exactly that. I've heard guernsey milk is particularly rich and delicious and highly sought after by cheesemakers.

Concordia...41
04-04-2010, 04:50 PM
but perhaps I should try something that isn't mostly butter. :D

Why would you want to go do something gnarly like that ?? ;)

If you do it right, you can deep fry butter. :)

Seriously, there's enough yogurt and granola out there. :D

Captain Intrepid
04-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok, this one's done with mostly lard, as almost all of the butter I bought mysteriously disappeared. There are benefits to acquiring far too many strawberries just to eat plain (as if that's truly possible!).

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4384/strawberryscream.jpg