PDA

View Full Version : Apple trees

Phillip Allen
04-03-2010, 08:40 AM
I've got two new trees but it has been years and years since I've taken care of such things...who knows what to spray with?

Bare in mind that my bee hives are very close

JMAC
04-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Not sure about spraying, but I've pinched the buds the 1st two years to put more energy into growing the tree. I'm no expert on this though, just doing what the nursery guy said....

Phillip Allen
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
planted them last year...got one apple out of maybe 5 or 8 blossoms

David G
04-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Or, with the bees, you might want to read up on organic techniques. Local extension service. Garden/orchard clubs. Google.

Phillip Allen
04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Or, with the bees, you might want to read up on organic techniques. Local extension service. Garden/orchard clubs. Google.

good point...I had forgotton

ChefCarl
04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Read the LABLE, it will tell you if it is bee safe. If it does not, do not use it around your bees.
This is one time that the lable is your friend, keep the bees safe.

Phillip Allen
04-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Read the LABLE, it will tell you if it is bee safe. If it does not, do not use it around your bees.
This is one time that the lable is your friend, keep the bees safe.

you bet

TomF
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
...Four trees were girdled by the rabbits, so I took sections from the tops and grafted them onto an older Jonamac tree. Maybe they'll take, and maybe they won't.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/fredz859/Midfex/Topwork_041110.jpgI envy your space for such an orchard.

And I'm seriously impressed that you've found some way to graft even a few rabbits onto old apple trees, though I dunno why you'd bother ... except for the Nobel, of course. :D

paladin
04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Just graft the meaty parts....

seanz
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Now there's an idea. Do you suppose the sight of their buddies' heads mounted on branches would keep the buggers away next year?

If you've got a wood lathe, you could turn little pikes.
:)

John of Phoenix
04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Fred, do you have any pictures of your garlics? Do the rabbits bother them?
I have rabbits that eat cactus, yucca, lantana, mesquite, just about everything.

Rich VanValkenburg
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I've been trying to recover five old apple trees by selective pruning and last year I even had blossoms. This year I topped out two trees that needed it and I'm sure the result will be even better.

I, and my neighbor who's really good at the apple tree stuff, sprayed about two weeks ago and used Volck oil spray, but any poison that'll kill dormant bugs will work. The spraying has to be done BEFORE you get any blossoms, and wait until after the last blossom has fallen before you pick up spraying again for the seasonal bugs. The best thing you can do is head to your nearest feed and grain or tree nursery to find out what to use that will protect the bees. Some of those folks have degrees in that stuff and are more than willing to help.

My problem with these trees is that they're older varieties and need cross-pollination to bear any fruit. The farmer planted Hawthorns between each apple tree but the Hawthorns are a mess and don't bloom anymore. So I've been after those, too. Last year I got enough apples to make four or five pies.

You can use split edge-drain tubing around the trunks to protect the trees in winter