PDA

View Full Version : flourescent lights

switters
04-02-2010, 06:06 PM
last night in the shop my $8.99 POS overhead flourescent light went thump and then it was dark. Still wont work.

I suspect the ballast, the fixture (two bulbs, 48 inches long) is only 5 months old, unheated shed.

thoughts and recommendations?

goodbasil
04-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Was it made in China?

switters
04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
well for 9 bucks I bought it at that place that no other forumite has ever tread, wall-mart, so I'm sure it was made in China.

Bob Adams
04-02-2010, 06:17 PM
well for 9 bucks I bought it at that place that no other forumite has ever tread, wall-mart, so I'm sure it was made in China.

Ya gets whats ya pays fer:p

The Bigfella
04-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Only one fixture?

I just bought 7 of these btw.... at a lot more than $9. I seem to recall $50 for the ones I bought locally, and about $39 for the ones I got across town.... they are a different setup to the old ones "electronic"... instant on, no starters.

Maybe its time to lash out and buy the $20 ones?

switters
04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
right, after flailing around the internet i find half the cost or more is for the ballast. I didn't realize this as the lights in my old/ex wifes garage have been there for 20 years and never had a problem. After a bit of reading bad ballast seems to be a pretty common problem when buying cheap fixtures.

And so with the confirmation of the smartest forum on the interwebs, I'm off to look at new fixtures with an eye toward some quality ballast.

Michael D. Storey
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
If the ballast is warm when it has been plugged for a while, it is prolly good. If not, get another fxtr. Even at $9yagetswhatyapayformadeinchina bux, it's still a deal. Hope that it used T8's, the skinny tubes. 32W each. Plenty o' light.
BTW, I'd bet on Made in Mexico

TMny
04-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Cheap fixtures Might be OK , but most of the action is in the ballast.
The connections develop some resistance with corrosion.
The bulbs use a heating filament to initially start... when these wear, the ends of the tubes discolor.
One technique that works:
After a bulb/ballast couplet fails >> try a new bulb set.
If that doesn't solve it , you need a new ballast (preferably with new bulb set).
There are cheap ballast transformers , and better ones ... and then there are fancier electronic ballasts. The electronic ones have higher initial cost , which i believe to be recouped in improved efficiency of operation.