PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Row Boat

CraigReuter
04-02-2010, 09:49 AM
First time post: I've been a subscriber for a few years now, really enjoy your publication. A good friend just gave me an old 10' wooden flat bottom plywood rowboat, has a brass plaque on it "Manufactured by the FW White Co. Old Town Maine" The boat belonged to an elderly gentleman who rowed it in Barneget bay (Jersey Shore), he brought it to my friend to put a larger skeag on it, which he did. Told my friend it came from Maine, had belonged to a lobsterman. When the elderly gentleman got cancer he gave it to my fiend who had it for 15 years, used it a few times in his pond. Now he has given it to me and we are going to sand, caulk, repaint and bring it back to Maine to use at or cottage on Coleman Pond. Paint is peeling, needs to be caulked and painted. What is the best caulk to use and is it worth spending the money on marine paint? Been hearing about using latex house paint or rustoleum with good results??? thanks
>>

Peerie Maa
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Have you any pictures that you could post?
If it is plywood, then traditional caulking would not be appropriate, so a picture of the areas that worry you would help us to give useful advice.

Thorne
04-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the Forum! I see you have two posts on this same topic in this section of the Forum -- best to delete the other one before you get responses on both and everything gets confused...

Much depends on the condition of the plywood and solid wood parts of the boat, in particular the edges of the seams / joints.

Will the boat be left outdoors all year, or just part of the year, or kept under cover? Trailered around or left at the pond?

Personally I'd take it back to bare wood as much as possible, then judge the condition at that time. Any rotted ply needs to be removed -- small bits can just be patched, larger / structural bits need to be replaced with new marine ply.

If the ply is checking, my personal recommendation would be to clean and sand it, then coat with CPES before painting. I've had good luck with the Rustoleum Marine paints, but some like the workboat look and finish of acrylic latex porch paints.

Here’s how to post photos on this forum:

First - don’t attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

Second - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website, or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com), picturetrail, photobucket, etc.

Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to copy the URL (web address).

{For Flickr only: view the image by clicking on it. Then click the small link named ALL SIZES with the magnifying glass icon. Once the larger image is displayed, scroll down and you'll see two options for linking the image on websites. Select and copy the second one -- or just right-click the enlarged image to get the image location.}

Always test first by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http:// ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays.

Third - once posted on the web, try this procedure while logged in to this Forum:

1. Click the “User CP” link in the browser window in the top left of the menu bar.

2. Click the “Edit Options” link about halfway down the left column.

3. In the “Misc Options” at the bottom of the next page, select “Enhanced Interface” from the pulldown list.

4. Once this interface has been selected, in any “Reply” window you can click the “insert photo” icon --> a little yellow square icon with the stamp in the upper right corner, the mountains in the lower center. http://woodenboat.com/forum/images/editor/insertimage.gif

5. Once the little dialog box titled “Please enter the URL of your image” comes up, paste the URL of the photo in the field.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
If unsure of the procedure, test first by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http:// ) of a web browser.

Remember, the PHOTO URL will end in .jpg, not .htm or html. URLs ending in .htm are the page that the image is at, not the photo location itself. If the photo URL ends in other code, try deleting everything after the “xxxxxx.jpg” part of the URL to get it to display on web forums.

cap'nRod
04-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Rustoleum actually makes a version of its paint that is marine grade. I can't say that I've ever seen it on a store shelf though, just online.

jerry bark
04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Rustoleum actually makes a version of its paint that is marine grade. I can't say that I've ever seen it on a store shelf though, just online.

my local hardware sells it. i bought some for use on my kayak, not sure how well i like it. it really would be fine if you thinned it enough. the can says to only thin 5% I think you need to thin more like 10-15%.

if its in your area you could give it a try.

Jerry

CraigReuter
04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I posted pictures under the other entry, I need to delete this entry.