PDA

View Full Version : Bronze/Steel Corrosion

meuritt
04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
my tabernacle mast is steel, it has a bronze belaying pin on each side, one for each halyard. One is stuck tight. One pin was free, but wouldn't go into its hole, I ran a drill bit through and dislodged a lot of corrosion. I gently tapped the stuck pin and saw no movement, didn't want to beat on it with the ball peen and thought asking here night be a good idea.

What can I use to free these two different metals?

thanks

Mike

Breakaway
04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Is the bronze pin something special that's hard to get or needs to be fabricated? If not, I'd douse it with some penetrating oil and whack it with a hammer. Worst case you break the pin, drill it out, and replace.

Thorne
04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure how much heat the bronze can take before you start to lose temper/strength, but I'd try penetrating oil and a propane torch to heat it and the steel up. Then pack ice around it for 10 minutes, then use a wooden mallet to get its attention...

gibetheridge
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Heat works wonders in a case like this. You may need to touch up the paint afterward. Try putting a cushion between the hammer and the brass, a scrap of hardwood. If that, combined with the previously prescribed penetrating oil, doesn't work try the heat.