PDA

View Full Version : Catamaran Launch Plans

JohnWelch
01-08-2001, 08:53 PM
Looking for plans for Catamaran Launch for assisting in Sculling/Crew Rowing Club.

DougWilde
01-09-2001, 07:28 AM
John, I don't think I've ever seen a catamaran "launch". Why must it be a catamaran? How many people ARE you taking along to yell at the crews? Or do you expect a lot of capsizes and subsequent rescues?

Doug Wilde

rbgarr
01-09-2001, 01:45 PM
I bet that Phil Bolger has a design for a low power cat that would be suitable, but I don't know for sure. Search for "Phil Bolger and Friends" on the search facility here and you might get his e-mail.

To answer Doug's concern-

Two features that are desirable for a crew coach's launch are low power requirements and as little wake throwing as possible at all speeds. As a coach does his thing he wants to be right alongside the shell so he can see and talk comfortably to the rowers, thus low power and quieter engine. When other crews row by the slight wake made by a catamaran makes it unnecessary for the coach to slow down so his wake won't disturb the other boats rowers. If a shell were to capsize, swamp or sink, which I've seen, the catamarans hulls can support the crew members while transporting them to shore, if necessary.

Dale Harvey
01-09-2001, 05:19 PM
16 ft. Hobie. Replace tramp with plywood floor and build bracket for longshaft outboard. Can suppliment with electric trolling motor.

rbgarr
01-19-2001, 01:36 AM
What is the idea behind the electric trolling motor?

Originally posted by Dale Harvey:
16 ft. Hobie. Replace tramp with plywood floor and build bracket for longshaft outboard. Can suppliment with electric trolling motor.

Dale Harvey
01-19-2001, 03:03 PM
If you can catch up to your crew with an electric trolling motor, you want to be sure they can hear every word you shout at them and not have to worry about being drowned out by the outboard.

rbgarr
01-19-2001, 04:09 PM
If a coach can keep up with his crew with an electric trolling motor he's got one VERY slow team!

JohnWelch
01-22-2001, 05:06 PM
Thanks J Welch
tried Phil no reply.

Originally posted by rbgarr:
I bet that Phil Bolger has a design for a low power cat that would be suitable, but I don't know for sure. Search for "Phil Bolger and Friends" on the search facility here and you might get his e-mail.

To answer Doug's concern-

Two features that are desirable for a crew coach's launch are low power requirements and as little wake throwing as possible at all speeds. As a coach does his thing he wants to be right alongside the shell so he can see and talk comfortably to the rowers, thus low power and quieter engine. When other crews row by the slight wake made by a catamaran makes it unnecessary for the coach to slow down so his wake won't disturb the other boats rowers. If a shell were to capsize, swamp or sink, which I've seen, the catamarans hulls can support the crew members while transporting them to shore, if necessary.

DavesFlatsBoat
01-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Try one of these two:

FishCat (http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boats/Power_Boats/fishcat.htm)

or
My Power Cat (http://www.davesflatcat.com)

Neither is exactly what you want, but modify, modify, modify...

Dave

JimConlin
01-11-2003, 08:25 AM
There's a line of 'wakeless' launches made by Dick Pereli at Still Water Design (http://www.stillwaterdesign.com/) in Chelsea, MA. They range from 18' to 31'.

Dick Newick (207 439 3768) designed one of 'em.

Pocock (http://www.pocock.com) in Seattle make 'em, too.

One improvement I'd suggest:
The mid-size Stillwater boat is horribly un-maneuverable because it has a rudder only on one hull. I'd use two.

[ 01-11-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: JimConlin ]

garland reese
01-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi John,
Our club just purchased a small Stillwater coaching launch. I had hoped that I could get them to try to find an alternative, as the production launches seem toi me to be waaaaay overpriced. I was even more convinced after seeing the thing.......very simple, blocky construction. I'm no N/A but there does not seem to be anything overly special about this particular launch. For the money spent, I am unimpressed (but it is better than an aluminum fishing skiff).

There is a plywood design, that I think is available in kit form, but I cannot find the link to their site. They don't sell plans. I'll keep looking for the information.

Interesting that you bring up such a thread .......I just contacted a designer (yesterday) about the possibilty of doing a simple coaching launch design that could be easily homebuilt. Contact me offline if you would like to talk.....

One other option is the Wild thang (I think), which is a GRP kit to turn a Hobie type cat into a motorized boat. The company is out of FL, I believe. I'll attempt to find the link for it too.

Glen-L and others have some plans for catamarans and pontoon boats. I've wondered how good a launch could me made by modifiying some of these plans.

I thought that Bolger's Sneakeasy would make an elegant and comfortable launch, albeit impracticle. The coach could have a nice comfortable sit-in hull, with plenty of room for gear.......even load it with electronics....and a small bimini in the hot sun or rain :D :D . Storage and protection of such a nice boat would be a pain though, and at 26 feet, she's long!!

rbgarr
01-11-2003, 12:17 PM
When I rowed in college the varsity coach's boat was a narrow, double-ended 48' L.F. Herreshoff launch donated by an old alum. Talk about a storage problem! But he looked like a god riding in that beauty. The other coaches had boats called Seamasters, a no-longer-built narrow and low wake/low power fiberglass motor launch built in Duxbury, Mass. If anyone knows where one of those hulls is I'd like to now about it.