PDA

View Full Version : Plans for Moth class sailing dingy

Omay Elphick
08-22-2000, 11:05 AM
I am looking for stitch and glue plans for a Moth style sailing dingy. Can anyone help me? Any thoughts or opinions on the design?

Thanks

KarlSchmid
10-09-2000, 05:58 PM
The Independence Seaport Museum lists plans for the International Moth Class sailing dinghy in their catalog of available plans. Noticed it as I was looking for something else. It is listed as their Small Craft Plan #70 and is 3 sheets. I guess you won't know if it's stitch and glue until you see them. The home page of the museum is www.libertynet.org/seaport, (http://www.libertynet.org/seaport,) and the phone number of the library (which sells the plans is (215) 413-8640 (Michael Angelo.....will return phone calls.) Be persistent.

Dave Carnell
10-10-2000, 07:59 AM
The Museum of the Albemarle, Elizabeth City, NC, has some plans of the original MOTH. Of course it is an open class, so there is no fixed plan. I believe that museum is kind of headquarters for the class.

BandAidMan
11-01-2001, 01:15 PM
I found plans for a so-called mini-moth from the late 30's (?) on Dave Gary's Polytarp sail site. It is called the "Little Bear" and is designed as a plywood and pine "boy's boat". Although it is called a mini-moth, it has about the same sail area as international moths with 63 (I calculated 65) square feet. It is slightly smaller than a Moth at 10 feet and is Marconi rigged instead of cat rigged. The plans are at http://hometown.aol.com/polytarp/tbear.htm

I am trying to see if I can partial or completely convert the plans to stitch and glue. If I can modify it to my needs, it will be a spring construction project. I can post my design progress if anyone else is interested.

Nora Lee
11-13-2001, 11:20 AM
The Museum of the Albemarle mailing address is 1116 S US 17, Elizabeth City, NC 27909.

They were selling plans for the Classic Moth for $125.00, I am sure they will be glad to help you in your search. Their phone # is 252-335-1453.

There is a Annual Moth Boat Regatta in September, every year and Moths arrive from all over, may be a nice trip to see and talk to other Moth builders, as most are home built.

I live in EC and would love to introduce you to locals, who were around when these were designed, right here in EC. There are many Moths in barns all over this area.

We are only 1 hour south of Norfolk, Va and an hour from the Outer Banks. (Good family vacation destination)

Regards,
Nora