PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Skiffs

MikeGardner
09-15-2000, 10:08 AM
I am searching for a source of Jersey Skiff plans....anyone seen any lately? Thanks, Mike

TomRobb
09-15-2000, 10:23 AM
Mystic Seaport?

garland reese
09-15-2000, 11:39 AM
Mystic would seem to be the place to go. Also, Howard Chappelle's American Small Sailing Craft has some of the Jersey Skiff plans in there. Most of the plans in the book have good details, but they are small and the offset tables are sometimes difficult to read, though you could just enlarge the tables on a copy machine so you could read them with less difficulty.
I may be wrong on this, but didn't a lot of Mystic's plan come from the research and lines that Chappelle did? They may well be the same thing that you see in the book........dunno for sure though.
Which Jesey skiff are you looking for?

I think that the New Jersey Melonseed skiff is about the prettiest small boat I've come across. I'd really like to build one (or two) of these. Mac Mcarthy has built a few of these cedar strip/sheathed style, and he used to have patterns available, though last time I checked, he did not have any on-hand. If you can get them......they are cheap at $20.00. That is cheaper than Chappelle's book. Mac's patterns are taken directly from the offsets in Amer. Small Sailing. Also, there was a picture in WB a couple of issues back of a Melonseed that was built from the Mystic plans. I think they are $10.00 last I checked.

Also, WB has two versions of the melonseed skiff (13' and 16'), from Marc Barto. ....
Marc's version has more sail area than the originial around 75sq ft.......very nice looking. The 16 footer has a gaff rig.
These are in one of WB plans catalogs.

Also, Craig O'Donnell has a bunch of interesting stuff on his site. He goes by dadadata here on the forum. His web page is mentioned in the sailing canoe thread here. He has a book from W.P. Stephens on-line at http://dragonflycanoe.com/stephens

There is information on some of the Jersey boats there, like the sneak boxes and variants of, Delaware Duckers and Tuckups (not Jersey boats, but very cool!), and others. It is a very interesting book, as is Craig's site as a whole.
garland

Dave Carnell
09-17-2000, 07:38 AM
At <bookfinder.com> there are copies of Chapelle's book available as low as $13. All of the plans of that book are available in large scale in the Smithsonian's "Ship Plans" catalog ($10).

Cost of these plans is about $5 for a one-sheet plan, though shipping per order is about that much. Order several; they are great.

Keith Wilson
09-18-2000, 09:28 AM
John Gardner's books have several plans for Seabright Skiffs - Both the early sail/rowing versions, and a later powered variant - Building Classic Small Craft Vol. 1 & 2.

nedL
09-18-2000, 02:14 PM
When you say "Jersey skiff" you are not really being specific enough to head you in much of a direction. Could you be a bit more specific ie; surf boat or what is referred to as a "Seabright Skiff" (16-18', box or rolled garboard & rowed);pound boat (18-42'open hulled inboard, box or rolled garboard, for fishing off the beaches; Jersey speed skiff (16' high performance APBA sanctioned inboard race boat); 24-38' high end sport fisherman; 18-38' family pleasure boats. They all have the same heritage and are all referred to as "Jersey skiffs". I'd be glad to offer any ideas I can. -Ned

MikeGardner
09-18-2000, 02:24 PM
To amswer the questions posed by my first post: I am in fact looking to build a "Boxed Sked" , inboard powered , "SeaBright" version.It is my intent to make use of a 4 cyl diesel and Borg-Warner velvet drive I have. The boat will likely be limited by my garage size and door width, so 7-8 feet in oa width and around 20ft lenth.
I like the boxed skeg for it beaching ability and ease of trailering. It will be run mostly on an inland river system but with day trips out into the Bay of Fundy.
Thanks for all the help so far..Mike

ishmael
09-18-2000, 02:35 PM
Hi Mike,

Pat cox, a fellow who posts here is building a Sea bright. Look under the white oak for bending threads still up on the board. Pretty sure Pat could point you in the right direction.

redjim777
09-18-2000, 03:28 PM
Mike the John Gardner book has just what you are looking for.

Jim

DougWilde
09-20-2000, 08:23 AM
John and William Atkin also designed quite a few boats based on the Sea Bright Skiff. The plans are very reasonably priced as is their catalog of designs.

Doug

MikeGardner
10-06-2000, 05:52 AM
I have the Gardner book on order. I would love to see any pictures anyone might have in the meantime.

nedL
10-10-2000, 12:46 PM
I just re-read the responses to your origional post and realized that no one mentioned "The Seabright Skiff and Other Jersey Shore Boats" by Peter Guthorne. It was first printed in the early 1970's, and I believe is still available through Mystic Seaport. As the title suggests, the book deals 'exclusively' with the lapstrake skiffs bult on the Jersey shore. There are plenty of period pictures and drawings, along with a few drawings of construction details. (Just the kind of info I think you are looking for.).
As mentioned elsewhere, Pat Cox is building a 17' surf boat designed by Warren Nau for the life guards on the Jersey shore. Nau's designs are a bit less beamy than someone like Charles Hankins' of Lavalette N.J. I do have pictures of various skiffs that I took years ago, and would be glad to fax them to you. - Ned

[This message has been edited by nedL (edited 10-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by nedL (edited 10-10-2000).]

Syd MacDonald
10-10-2000, 10:20 PM
See wb No. 109 for an article on the Sea Bright Skiff.