PDA

View Full Version : Geld gefunden

Shang
03-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Did I mention that I’ve just returned from London?
“when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
However I have a question:
But my question isn’t about Great Britain, it is about Canada, more specifically about Canadian currency.
While unpacking from the London trip, and gathering a few left-over Pounds Sterling to take to my bank to exchange them for U.S. bread I happened to run across thirty Canadian Dollars that must have been in my pocket when I was last in Canada. However I haven’t been in Canada for quite a while.
In years gone by I learned the hard lesson that paper currency, unlike fine wine, does not improve with age, in fact some currency is more like fresh fish and does not age well at all ( anybody want to buy a wad of pre-Euro French Francs? No? How about a bunch of Gulden from the Nederlandsche Bank? I could go on, but I always start to cry when I contemplate my wallpaper-load of Indian Rupees that can only be spent if I happen to return to India…).
Much of the left-over currency from other countries that I still have is outdated--the countries in question changed their currency or their system of bean-counting, and with many of these the window of opportunity to exchange old dough for new has closed.

Getting back to Canada:
Here’s the currency I have:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/shangboat/Canadiancurrency.jpg

These bills do not look exactly like recent Canadian currency, but are they still legal tender? If I take them to my bank will they give me US$ 29-point- something, or will they laugh in my face (the way they did when I presented the thousand-dollar bills I picked up from the street after the Chinese New Year parade) ?
I await your answer since I can always use twenty-nine dollars of Geld gefunden.

Flying Orca
03-29-2010, 10:49 AM
They're still good, and your bank should honour them.

John of Phoenix
03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
I have some of those pre € currencies too. The young lady at the airport currency exchange cage tells me that I can drop into any French, Italian, Swiss, or German bank that I happen across and they'll glady exchange them for Euros, i.e. take them back to Europe.

Syed
03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Oh, das geld ist klein.:)

Shang
03-29-2010, 12:19 PM
They're still good, and your bank should honour them.

Indeed they did.

And since my earlier post I rummaged around and found another 20 in Canadian, which brought the total up to CN$ 50,
for which my bank gave me US$ 46.45.

I still have about 100 Pounds in old British currency. I ask the nice lady behind the bank counter if any of it might be exchangeable. She said, Maybe, and produced a large picture book of currencies of the world. Next time I go to the bank I'll take the bills with me and we'll play mix and match.
I'll take along some of the other odd ball currency and see if any of it scores.

I also found a whole handfull of British One Pound coins, but alas, the bank doesn't accept coins.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I also found a whole handfull of British One Pound coins, but alas, the bank doesn't accept coins.

Your bank may not like them, but I do.

Shang
03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Your bank may not like them, but I do.

Yes, me too. They are heavy enough to feel like money, and clank nicely on the bar.
I'll meet you at that pub just across the way from Harlech Castle.