PDA

View Full Version : Women voices

ishmael
03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I can't say I'm fond of her style of bubble gum, but the local radio just played some Karen Carpenter. Wow, that woman had a voice! Sweet as the amber honey. I know it ain't politic to even think about The Carpenters as important, but listen to her sometime. There's a reason she fronted that band.

I listen to Celine Dion with similar awe. Nothing agin Celine, but Karen had the better voice.

Old Sailor
03-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Where have you been all your life? Karen Carpenter was the best but that was a few years ago.
Old Sailor

ishmael
03-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I hadn't heard her for awhile. A local AM in Cleveland used to play a lot of Carpenters back when they were popular. As a twelve year old at the time you weren't supposed to like them. Too sweet. Give me some bad boy rockers! LOL.

How did she die? Anorexia? I remember she was a little slip of a woman, and that she passed way too young.

When limbered up her pipes were really something! Not a belter, like a Tina Turner, a crooner. A male equivilent might be Johnny Mathis? It's hard to imagine Karen singing "Respect." He he.

Awhile back I lived in a small town in Northern MA that for whatever reason was full of great musicians, many of them struggling to make a living from music. The local pub saw some of the best live music I've ever had the pleasure of. On a good night the music was as good as anything you'd hear in a large city. The venue, a small place in a town of six hundred, made it especially good. It wasn't what you might expect, all folk music, there was a variety: Blues, folk, amplified rock, classical... it was a magical place.

Lisa, the propietor, had a dream of a country inn, and did her best to make it work, but after three or four years it just wasn't paying the bills. Warwick was a bit off the beaten path. When that door shut the last time, a light went out in Warwick.

Wild Dingo
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Yep sure was a sad loss to the music industry... such a beautiful voice.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Every few months Ish does a Karen Carpenter thread.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108509&highlight=Karen+Carpenter

ishmael
03-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Who cares if I do, Peter? She deserves it.

The Bigfella
03-29-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm waiting for a repeat of the flowers thread

ishmael
03-29-2010, 08:51 PM
If I'm boring you, ignore me. Easy enough.

My latest post about Karen Carpenter wasn't exactly a post like earlier ones. My appreciation has changed. That's one of the problems with strictly linear people. They think they can say something once and be done with it.

Not in my experience. Maybe a math equation, but not a person. Music is particularly that way.