PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

ishmael
03-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Here's the poop. 2006 Toyota Tacoma four by truck. The brakes are leaking somewhere. Not a big leak, I'll top up the reservoir every couple of months. The truck only has 7 K on the clock. I've crawled around, and I don't see it leaking at any of the wheels, or topside either. Any Toyota people out there who might know what is going on?

Jim Ledger
03-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Pinhole in a brake line? There might possibly be nothing to see.

The Bigfella
03-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Its OK Jack - its a big truck. When they fail, just find something soft to hit.

David W Pratt
03-27-2010, 10:04 AM
maybe park it on rosin paper, get in and stand on the brakes. Even a pinhole should leak some.
Good luck.

LeeG
03-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Keep that Toyota tip top. It's a keeper.

Canoeyawl
03-27-2010, 10:23 AM
As they wear, disk brakes take up the wear by filling the resulting cavity in the caliper with fluid. There is no method of retraction (springs) as there is in drum brakes. The brake pads remain in very close proximity to the rotor.
Maybe it's normal.

ishmael
03-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks, maybe it's normal. As a guy somewhat literate in these matters it's bothersome. Maybe a pin hole. Sounds right.

Keith Wilson
03-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Canoeyawl's exactly right. As the brakes wear the caliper piston extends farther and stays there. The volume of fluid in the brake cylinder increases, the level in the tank decreases. If you don't have to add much fluid, there's probably no leak.

ishmael
03-27-2010, 12:22 PM
No, the caliper thang ain't quit right. Too much fluid lost. I don't know, but if I fugur it out I'll keep you posted.

Keith Wilson
03-27-2010, 12:40 PM
And brakes shouldn't wear much over 7000 miles. Prolly a small leak somewhere. You could go around and tighten all the brake line fittings a bit, looking for leaks as you go.

Ross M
03-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Check below the master cylinder and/or brake booster at the firewall.

Master cylinder leaks frequently drain through the brake booster body and onto the firewall. Which can strip the paint from some very difficult to repair areas :o.

Nicholas Carey
03-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Given where you live and drive, my bet would be a rusty brakeline (Bad). Leaky master or wheel cylinders should be pretty obvious.

If the truck only has 7k on the clock, it should still be under warranty. Take it to yon Toyata dealer and have them fix it.

Bob Adams
03-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Be sure Ish, the last thing I'd want on a Toyota is iffy brakes!:eek:

pumpkin
03-27-2010, 11:04 PM
More info please, how much fluid are you adding? At 7 k you should not have to top off due to pad wear unless you are a hauling trailer with no brakes through the mountains.

I would suspect rear wheel cylinders seeping if it has drum brakes. It takes a quite a while for fluid to show outside the backing plates especially with a low mileage vehicle because brake fluid is hydroscopic and washes away. Get it inspected.

Matthew