PDA

View Full Version : US Air, al the organization of a boxful of puppies, the humanitarian instincts of the

coelacanth2
03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Was SUPPOSED to be in West Palm Beach today. One of the implant companies was flying me down and putting me up at the PGA National for a round table discussion. Got to departure gate 45 mins prior to departure on confirmed reservation after checking my bag in and getting boarding pass, only to find that I didn't really have a ticket or boarding pass. Clods had overbooked the flight by about 25 people, if you weren't there reallyearly, you were off. Unless you had a "held" seat. One guy from Sweden had this as his connecting flight, 2 crates of instruments had preceded him to Palm but HE wasn't getting there till the next afternoon. When the announcement of overbooking was made, 10 people left, and hope was held out to the rest of us that they might gift us with any available remaining spaces. 5 of us left, one guy trying to get to Palm for his wife's emergency surgery, one young lady who had been dropped off by friends and had no way of getting back to them, a married couple and myself. They had us waiting at the door to the plane fir spaces. When the word came that there were 3 seats left, I said good bye and good luck to the guy who was trying to get to his wife and walked back up the ramp. I then spent the next 2 hours trying to get my one little bag shipped back to me. Disorganized clods cost me at LEAST a day-and-a-half's production, not to mention paying the staff at the shop. In their munificence, I was recompensed with a travel voucher which purports to be worth $500, but which, upon close examination has so many restrictions it will be almost useless. I called their HQ and spoke with some orc who, if he were any lower on the food chain, would require watering 3X PER WEEK, to my complete lack of satisfaction. They offered a flight next day, but it would have gotten me there late in the pm, just as the conference was ending. Useless.

only saving grace...I''d gotten the call to make an artificial upper jaw for a guy who was loosing his, and the surgery had been moved up 2 weeks to the next day. I went by the office and made the prosthesis and dropped it off at the hospital this AM early, so the fellow will be be able to eat and speak after the surgery. Bag was supposed to be here today, it ain't. The voucher is an insult, it's going back to them. I'd term them jackasses, but that would be odious to the donkeys of the world. Gonna have to spend to-morrow dealing with more minions...

Phillip Allen
03-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I like a good rant...thanks

Breakaway
03-27-2010, 07:49 AM
spoke with some orc who, if he were any lower on the food chain, would require watering 3X PER WEEK,
:D Good One!

Concordia...41
03-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Sorry for the bad day. Thanks for the rant :D

I'd keep the voucher - use it fly a box full of puppies somewhere :D

Shang
03-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Here's what you do next time something like this happens:

Obtain a copy of the airline's free in-flight magazine. On the first page there will be a picture of the president of the airline, let's say his name is Throttlebottom. There will also be mention of the airline's home base, let's say Miami.

Using your laptop you find Mr. Throttlebottom's home telephone number in Miami. Using your cell phone you call the number... and ask to speak to Misses Throttlebottom!

When the lady comes on the phone you must be very polite as you explain the situation to her. Mention how the delay is causing distress for your wife. Ask if Misses Throttlebottom could inform her husband about the problem so he can fix it. Leave your name and cell phone number.

Trust me, this works, I call the technique "Airline-terminal-judo." I've used it twice and got a call back, and satisfaction, from Mr. Throttlebottom within minutes.

Oh, and be sure to mail a small thank you gift to Misses Throttlebottom. Chocolates are appropriate.

oznabrag
03-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Trust me, this works, I call the technique "Airline-terminal-judo." I've used it twice and got a call back, and satisfaction, from Mr. Throttlebottom within minutes.

Oh, and be sure to mail a small thank you gift to Misses Throttlebottom. Chocolates are appropriate.

Well dang, Shang!

You rock so hard!

:D

Shang
03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Well dang, Shang!

You rock so hard!

:D

In the words of my first jujitsu instructor, “All throws should be preceded by a knee to the groin.”

coelacanth2
03-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I haven't even BEGUN to rant. Funny you should mention that, Shang. Spoke to the lady who yenta'd us and her husband has used a similar tactic - got the CEO's latest mission statement re customer service and dug up his email, quoted it in a polite but firm letter, and explained why their experience with customer service didn't match up to the latest rhetoric. I like the idea of the personal touch, though. Very good kieretsu judoka! Thanks! I look forward to moving up the corporate pecking order rapidly!

ahp
03-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Then there is American Airlines, my former favorite airline. On our first try to go to New Zealand we started at JAX. We were there, the plane was there, but they couldn't find the captain or the first officer. The result was that we had to slip everything by two days. There was no extra cost, but a lot of agrevation.

Tar Devil
03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
They don't treat their employees any better.

Peter Kalshoven
03-27-2010, 11:48 PM
The best response I ever got from an airline was on TWA flying to St. Louis back in '96. The people on the ground had screwed up royally (having to do with a lack of wheelchairs and people to push them in a timely manner, as I was on one leg at the time), and I was fuming. As I took my upgraded seat in first class, who should sit down next to me but the VP of Operations for the Midwest. Needless to say, I had his undivided attention, and I tell a good story. The problem was solved, and I was well taken care of. I wish it was always that easy.

capnharv
03-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Your call is very important to us :|

So much for the service economy. . .

Dr.Spoke
03-28-2010, 01:04 AM
I regularly fly with Ryan Air, usually home to UK to visit family... These guys are cheap, but you get what you pay for... And I've once had a problem being late... Airports closed at both ends because of weather. I love them!
American Airlines gave me the shivers! Wide body less than half-full on a nightime trans-atlantic. I called the "cabin attendant" and asked for a blanket and a pillow. When she came back I'd moved from my window seat to the empty central seating - thinking I'd stretch out ( I'm 6'3") over a few seats. I was impolitely informed to move back to my seat. I had the temerity to ask why... " if the plane crashes it's easier to identify you!"
Loads of other anecdotes about flying, but in the end flying is lousy and slow!

isla
03-28-2010, 04:56 AM
The worst airline experience I have ever heard of was when my wife's mother, sister and brother-in-law were booked on an Iceland Air flight to visit us in the UK. When they got to the airport they were told that the flight had been cancelled. No explanation, it had ceased to exist. They were told that if they came back tomorrow they would be on a shortlist which might, or might not, get them on another flight. They asked for a refund and were given some waffle about it taking several weeks to process. They dug deep and paid for tickets with another airline, and made their visit OK. But as far as I know, they have never received a refund from Iceland Air despite endless emails, phone calls and letters. Needless to say, none of us will ever use that airline in the future.