PDA

View Full Version : Cuffed

ishmael
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Ever been arrested? I was, once, and let me tell ya it's no fun.

It was, I suppose, a righteous arrest. Coming off the night shift I'd stopped in at Mary Lou's and had one too many pops. Probably not much a danger to anyone but myself at two in the morning, but the cops had me dead to rights.

The hardest part of it was leaving my dog by the side of the road. "What's going to happen to my dog?" The cops weren't interested. Shut up and get in the back. A humorless pair, as small town cops often are. You'd a thought they'd captured Al Capone, two cruisers with the lights aflash.

Cuffed to the rail, downtown. No recourse, though I yelled a bit when they took away my glasses. How can you argue with the ""Man" when you can't see?

A friend showed up and cut my bail. There aren't many people you can call at that time of the morning, but Bill was one.

All in all, a chastening experience. Sheba the dog was still sitting there in the morning at the police lot, really needing to get out for a pee.

So, that's my mildly picaresque encounter with the law. How about yours? I'll bet almost everyone here has had one. If I never wear a pair of handcuffs again it will be too soon.

paladin
03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
They locked me up...kept me 72 hours before seeing anyone...same name, wrong color, they bought me a new 1966 Thunderbird, lawyer was happy, we didn't even go to court.

Uncle Duke
03-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Again? You might review the responses you got here:
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91888

Ever been behind bars?

Being arrested is no fun! Mine was misdemeanor and they had me. The arresting officer, a man named Moroni from his badge. I thought about discussing the implication of that name. The name of the angel who appeared to the Mormons, but I kept my mouth shut about that. I did rail that they took my glasses away. How can you negotiate with someone when you can't see them? was my argument. A good one. Boy, I screamed about that! To no avail.
One of the worst parts(and let me be clearer, I was driving home, at two AM on a country road, not out helling around) was that I had my dear dog Sheba with me. They wouldn't tell me where she was. That was part of the punishment! I'm still not clear where she was during those six hours, but she turned up, happy as always

Captain Blight
03-26-2010, 02:48 PM
I found out that if you're polite and co-operate then when they arrest you they will use two sets of handcuffs so you don't wrench your shoulders out of joint. There is no comfortable way to sit in the back of a cruiser with your hands behind you. The greatest discomfort being that you're there at all.

For all my ranting about abuse of power and effin' pigs, in my *personal* encounters with them, I get all yes-sir-no-sir-three-bags-full-sir with them, and they lap it up like cream.

LeeG
03-26-2010, 03:21 PM
"Some days I live not in the present, but in my memory."

and some days in others.

gotta say Jack you've got a basic need for real life stories that appears unmet.

Bob Adams
03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
They locked me up...kept me 72 hours before seeing anyone...same name, wrong color, they bought me a new 1966 Thunderbird, lawyer was happy, we didn't even go to court.

Oooohhhh, ragtop? I'd glady serve a few days in the brig for one of those!:D

paladin
03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Nope, Hardtop...I posted a piktoor of it sometime back, white with white landau top, covered with vinyl or whatever the stuff was...originally a 428 with a C6 tranny, but later had the opportunity to switch out an "overbuilt 429 into it.....
I loved to drive it to Hartshorne Okiehoma on long weekends to see a sweet thing I was dating nearby, park in front of the sheriffs office and walk across the street for coffee and pecan pie.....fun wore off after a while...that's where the deppity dawgs hung out......

Rich Jones
03-26-2010, 09:06 PM
At age 7, I was caught by a clerk shoplifting a piece of bubble gum. Learned my lesson. For the past 51 years I've been a good boy. But, there's always tomorrow...

Mrleft8
03-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Maybe...........................

ishmael
03-27-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm not exactly a public enemy either, Norm.

Writing this sparked a memory. As a kid I used to hang out at the railroad tracks. A fun place to wander, and one day the railroad dicks picked up me and Steve. See now, I'm caught in a lie. I've been arrested twice, though I barely count that first one. The railroad cop was a nervous little guy in a cheap suit. Apparently there had been problems with kid chucking rocks, and we got swept up as usual suspects. The kids they were looking for were known to both Steve and me, but we weren't talking. Honest Injun, twern't me that broke the windows on that car carrier. It really wasn't, I was taught a respect for other people's property, but we did know who it was and weren't going to rat on them.

My how time flows. Steve is long married and he and his wife popped triplets so long ago they are getting ready to drive. Turn around a few more times and it's all gone.

Saltiguy
03-27-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't trust policemen. I obey the laws and give them a very wide berth. When I lived in Connecticut, sad to say, I felt that a majority were "on the take", especially as it involved Organized Crime and the drug trade.
Now that I'm In Florida, we have County Mounties - and they are some hard a** guys. Very pro-active, even about little stuff. I've only had one encounter, when I parked (legally) in a Public Park. When I returned to my car the Gigantic Cop ( he must have been 6-8", and 350 pounds), asked me if it was my car, When replied "yes", his response was " what are you, some kind of an ass****?. He braced me too, got right up in my face just looking for an arguement. He sure wasn't going to get one from me. As carefully and politely as I could I explained I thought he was misinterpreting the signage and that I was parked legally. There was a little back-and forth, but eventually he relented and admitted I was right - so it ended well, but It gave me a taste of how they do things down here. I've seen other examples too of over-kill and rough stuff involving little things like seat-belts, etc., Most of the cops I see here are big big guys, and from what I've seen, they like to act very provocative and throw their weight around

Mrleft8
03-27-2010, 08:53 AM
.....Most of the cops I see here are big big guys, and from what I've seen, they like to act very provocative and throw their weight around

It's called "Rabbiting" or "Jack rabbiting", according to cop friends of mine. It's also why they drive the way they do. Accelerating very abruptly, braking hard, etc. The reason they get right on your bumper, even if you're driving the limit, and with-in the lines, is not so they can see in your rear window. It's very explicitly to make you nervous so that you make a little mistake like flipping on your turn signal while entering a curve, even driving too slow gives them a reason to pull you over. You'll rarely see this practice with-in an hour of shift change.

Rich VanValkenburg
03-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Never been arrested, no tickets of any kind.

I don't trust cops either. Until last year my oldest daughter was dating a cop for about a year. Seemed like a nice guy but soon learned that they live in a sub-culture all their own. No friends other than cops, and to them, everybody's a bad guy. If a cop commits an offense that would get any one of us arrested and charged, they all circle the wagons and get the story straight between each other.

To serve and protect, NOT.

ishmael
03-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Cops have a tough job. I wouldn't want it, except perhaps on a island somewhere. I mean, who want's to arrest people? So long as they are just going about their business, not about to hurt no one, the native thought is leave them alone.

I've only known a few, personally. A guy I grew up with became a cop. His first name is Leslie. Now what's man to do with that moniker? It's like Cash's a boy name Sue.

I saw him, years on, after he'd been a cop for awhile. Nice enough fellow, but you don't get over Leslie without some chip on your ass. LOL.

Bob Adams
03-27-2010, 10:40 AM
I've got to remember this cop bashing thread when you all start lamenting how I shouldn't be able to keep arms for self defense. Who ya gonna call?

ishmael
03-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure what you are lamenting, Mr. Bob. I doubt, very much, it was me calling for gun control.

john welsford
03-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm very pleased that I live in a country where you can still step out in the road and put your hand up to flag a passing police car, and ask if they can tell you how to find your way to whatever address you want to get to. I've had one say" follow me sir" and drive me there.
Our cops are there to serve the people, and unless you catch them in a very stressful situation or if you strongly resemble someone they are actively chasing they are pleased to help whenever they can.
I know two cops, both nice people, and yes they have freinds outside the force, live in the community just like anyone else. Their "culture" is somewhat macho, but understandably so as they work a very difficult job and have to deal with some pretty difficult things so support for each other and solidarity is both neccessary and understandable.
The dont carry guns by the way.

The only gun I've had pointed at me since I left the army was by an American cop, the only sin I'd committed was to be a single male in a Canadian registered rented car, sitting on the roadside at night, legally parked, while I looked at a map to see where I was going.
Got hauled out of the car with one guy holding a pocket cannon on me, the other one searched me, my bags, and the car, left everything strewn everywhere and headed off with no explanation or apologies other than saying that they'd better not see me around their town again.
I got a badge number, and when I found my freinds house I wrote a really nasty letter to the Sheriffs office, no reply of course. But its very unlikely that I'll ever be in Kelseyville Ca again.

John Welsford

rbgarr
03-27-2010, 03:34 PM
I'll bet almost everyone here has had one.

Rolling on with the projection fantasies.

Rich Jones
03-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Watch it, guys. At least one of our Forum members, a friend of mine, is a cop. He's gonna come bust up your ass.http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

I've three other police friends. One a marine cop, one a narcotics detective and the third an FBI agent. Great guys, but I wouldn't want to get on their wrong side.

doorstop
03-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I have known many police over the years. Only one was an A grade arsehole, the rest were nice ordinary people doing a job which at times is not very nice at all the best they can.

BarnacleGrim
03-27-2010, 05:30 PM
I know a woman who studied to become a cop, but became pregnant. Sweetest person I know. I also have a second cousin, also a woman, first year at the academy. But I still have my prejudices against the coppers.

leikec
03-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Quote - "It's called "Rabbiting" or "Jack rabbiting", according to cop friends of mine."

This has largely been replaced by a practice known as "trolling", where the officer will drive at a steady pace just below the speed limit to force other drivers to pass the police car.

Jeff C

BarnacleGrim
03-28-2010, 02:03 AM
I think it's healthy to be suspicious of people in power. In most countries they are walking around with the remote control to your life.

If only more cops would leave their guns in their cruisers and start just walking down the street, whistling and twirling their night sticks and stopping to talk to people, getting to know their community. I think that's a huge crime deterrent, especially since people are liable to cooperate. This is sorely needed in the projects.

AussieBarney
03-28-2010, 03:49 AM
I found out that if you're polite and co-operate then when they arrest you they will use two sets of handcuffs so you don't wrench your shoulders out of joint. There is no comfortable way to sit in the back of a cruiser with your hands behind you. The greatest discomfort being that you're there at all.

For all my ranting about abuse of power and effin' pigs, in my *personal* encounters with them, I get all yes-sir-no-sir-three-bags-full-sir with them, and they lap it up like cream.
Here in the wonderful land of Aus, There is a law that says, You must be knighted by the Queen or be a commissioned officer to demand and get the title of Sir. I tug the forelock to no man alive.
When I was thirteen I was arrested for some minor infringment of some stupid law. When they got me to the police station they decided to teach me a lesson. They held a telephone book against my back so the whole book was in contact and then they slammed the book with a baton. This method of corporal leaves no marks or bruises but makes you feel like your lungs imploded. Who gave those stinkin' SOB's the right to do that to a child. When they convict those men and the ones like them. I might think that they are worth something. Far as I am concerned there should be a season and a bounty on the mongrels

rant finished

purri
03-28-2010, 05:24 AM
^ Aya,

Much less one phone book on either side of the head, or the filing cabinets, or the wet sand filled sock etc etc.

And then the "trip on the step" with a knee descending on the abdomen.

Mr Mulrindji Doomagee's mob know it too well.

Lewisboats
03-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Friends took me out for my B-day...kept buying beers for me...went to the can to sit and contemplate. Came out and they and my coat were GONE! Got pye eyed pissed and walked about 3.5 miles to where they lived...kicked in the door of one of them...got in a bit of a skuffle on the way to the other's place. Got him to open the door and he said " what coat"...I mentioned that he might want to check on the other guy as we had had a bit of a row and all of a sudden he remembered the coat hanging on the back of the chair...go figure! Walked all the way back and was picked up within 3 blocks of my truck...lucky for me. Spent the day (night worker) in the can and still blew over the limit after 8 hours. Called my buddy to come and get a check for bail, he returned at 2330 hrs to get me. Hell of a B-day, but I'm glad they grabbed me before I made it to the truck and tried to drive home. No real damage done to anyone but the door frame was in a bit of a mess. He wanted me to pay for the door but after paying $700 in fines levied by the courts he figured I had payed enough to get my coat back. Judge said I should have called the cops...yeah...Right! Like they would have listened to my drunk tukus!

MiddleAgesMan
03-28-2010, 06:59 AM
I don't trust policemen...

Now that I'm In Florida, we have County Mounties - and they are some hard a** guys. Very pro-active, even about little stuff...

Most of the cops I see here are big big guys, and from what I've seen, they like to act very provocative and throw their weight around

My experience prezactly. Small town cops have big egos that need stroking and bigger bellies...

I had a minor run-in with one in a nearby county, on a late Friday evening. On my way to a Xmas party my son had called to ask me to come bail him out. He'd been stopped leaving work for a tinted window violation but they hauled him in on a two year old bounced check charge he claimed he knew nothing about. I said I take care of it but had a dinner party to attend first. I left the party early, found an ATM and got the cash for the bond, then went to the police station. It wasn't clear where the money was to be paid so I figured to start with the locals. Late Friday, skeleton crew in the office, she couldn't answer my question but said she'd call someone to come in and help me figure it out. Ten minutes later a sloppy local cop came in, listened to my tale, directed me to another facility (the wrong one as it turned out), then said he had smelled alcohol on my breathe so he wanted me to do the blow-in-tube test. We were never closer than five feet and I had not been drinking so how he could smell anything at all is one of life's mysteries, I guess. I had even avoided the wine at the dinner party knowing where I was going later.

He said I blew .025 ( I think) which was well under the minimum but he warned me it could also mean the alcohol I just consumed hadn't made it into my blood stream. This guy was convinced I was out on the roads drinking!

It was several hours later that I realized what brought on this whole thing. The chemo drugs I take make me very dry-mouthed so I always have a glass of water in the console. I think the cop had looked into my car and seen the empty glass. The whole "I smelled alcohol" thing was a lie.