PDA

View Full Version : Favored places

ishmael
03-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Some days I live not in the present, but in my memory. For some reason, Mullett Lake has been strong the last few days. I don't know what dollop of fortune blessed me with that place for the first half of my life. It could have been a story book. Maybe it never really happened.

Walk out the porch door at seven AM, a bank of fog left over from the night curling just feet off the end of the dock. It will burn off in a hour. The lake in a quiet mood, just barely lapping at a rim of sand it built during the night. Walk to the well for a fresh pitcher of water. The air has that smell, which is really no smell at all except the pines and the water. Tip the hat to Crit, who's also awake early."Good morning, Mr. Crittenden." He's an old coot, but sweet and friendly most days. They say he invented an automobile when young.

I wish I could give everyone here such a morning. It would temper your blood, feed your soul, and leave you happy.

LeeG
03-26-2010, 11:14 AM
that happens to old people. My dads cognitive functions are slipping and he can generate hallucinations in the blind spot caused by macular degeneration. I think he's spent the last 20 yrs letting the knots in his mind dissapear through isolation and observing alley cats and crows.

finding peace is a good thing.