PDA

View Full Version : Old home movies to DVD

John Smith
03-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I've got a number of old Super 8 movies in the closet, and I'd like to have them put on DVD. The few places I've found to do this require shipping.

Just sent an E Mail to Best Buy Customer Service suggesting they provide this service. I expect there are enough people with home movies they can't watch to make it worth while.

Anyone who would like to see this happen, please contact Best Buy and make the suggestion. Can't hurt. Perhaps it will be an idea they grab onto.

Maybe someone here has the ability to make the transfer?

elf
03-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Wal*Mart, CVS, you name it. They all do it.

John Smith
03-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Wal*Mart, CVS, you name it. They all do it.

I'll check that out.

No luck with CVS.

Ted Hoppe
03-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Do you have a super 8 projector and Dv video camera? Set the projector and camera to best record the projected image on a 10 percent gray card paper stock along with a three sided cardboard box over the video camera would be optimal. Do this a dark dust free room.

That is the best solution. A dv tape is more robust storage solution. A tape will out last a DVD. Many folks will tell you otherwise but as a professional videographer tape is the secured method of storage. Kaa might try to persuade you to hard drive or DVD... But I know through practical experience this is the best solution. Once on tape then a DVD transfer is easy. By the way, your 8 mm film will outlast everything else. Forget the hype, DVDs are poor archival solutions. A scratch can kill your data solution,

When you get your projector, clean it thoroughly with appropriate solvants and compressed canned air. Your film will not be scratched and the transfer will be robust. Moreover, use a commercially released film to test your captured video. Remeber that these images are irreplacable. Only those who have a vested interest will protect your valuable film.