PDA

View Full Version : So much for McCain

Gerarddm
03-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Anybody offended by McCain's obdurate comment about how Republicans now won't cooperate through the end of this year because health care passed?

"Country First", eh? My ass.

He's getting as fatuous as Romney.

Tom Montgomery
03-24-2010, 12:18 PM
What dignity! What gravitas! What a display of statesman-like maturity!

Aren't you glad this petty loser is not the President of the United States of America?

Joe (SoCal)
03-24-2010, 12:26 PM
He's a Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaverick, can't ya just hear Sarah saying that over and over ?

elf
03-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Surprised? Not any more than I am about Romney.

TimH
03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Aren't you glad this petty loser is not the President of the United States of America?

He should be banned from any political office for such BS. Not even funny. :mad:

htom
03-24-2010, 02:48 PM
He lost. What did you expect? Good sportsmanship?

hokiefan
03-24-2010, 02:51 PM

From a true leader I would expect some class. Win with class, lose with class. Its really not that hard.

Cheers,

Bobby

James McMullen
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
An actual patriot would actually put country first. What a disgraceful tantrum.

These Republican scorched earth tactics are a blight to the essential core values of representative democracy.

John of Phoenix
03-24-2010, 03:29 PM
He has to show the AZ base that he can be crazier than JD Hayworth or he's going to lose the primary in Nov. Whoever does lose will likely be on the T Party ticket and split the vote.

I'm thinking AZ may have a Democratic Senator for the first time since 1995.

Nicholas Scheuer
03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
F--K McCain!

As has been said before, nobody without connections in high places gets to wreck as many USN aircraft as he did and get away with it.

Moby Nick

Keith Wilson
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
He lost. What did you expect? Good sportsmanship? Yes.

But that won't impress the True Believers. You have to get the endorsement of right-wing entertainment radio to win Republican primaries, and you don't do that by acting like a responsible adult.

McMike
03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
F--K McCain!

As has been said before, nobody without connections in high places gets to wreck as many USN aircraft as he did and get away with it.

Moby Nick

?? I've not heard about this?

Tom Montgomery
03-24-2010, 06:37 PM
He has to show the AZ base that he can be crazier than JD Hayworth or he's going to lose the primary in Nov. Whoever does lose will likely be on the T Party ticket and split the vote.

I'm thinking AZ may have a Democratic Senator for the first time since 1995.

Lucky you! ;)

Tom Montgomery
03-24-2010, 06:45 PM
?? I've not heard about this?

Oh Lord!

Google "John McCain USS Forrestal" and prepare to be appalled.

As a Navy pilot, JohnnyMac trashed a number of planes. Luckily, he was well connected.

A genuine Naval hero, Admiral James Stockdale, had little use for JohnnyMac.

Tom Montgomery
03-24-2010, 06:47 PM
He should be banned from any political office for such BS. Not even funny. :mad:

It is sad that JohnnyMac was, for a long time, the "liberal media's" favorite Republican.

Nicholas Scheuer
03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
The most egrigious case was on the sea near Viet Nam when he was waiting to launch, and just for a prank he evidently did something with his throttles intended to startle the plane handlers under his plane on the flight deck. Instead, the blast of fire out of his tailpipe startled the next pilot behind, causing him to fire his riockets, resulting in complete chaos on the flight deck including a serious fire and the loss of several aircraft.

I learned of this right here on the WBF during his campaign for the Presidency.

McCain hasn't the right stuff to be President.

Moby Nick

elf
03-24-2010, 07:04 PM
What makes you all think that McCain is the only smartass to be protected while he's in the service? There are smartasses in every sphere - investment brokers, America's Cup contenders, tenors, priests. Their friends speak of them fondly, telling tall tales about their senses of humor, "he was a fun guy" they say, "had a wierd sense of humor", "remember when he...?".

The thoughtful know that inside those people is someone with an impaired spirit - someone who has an alcohol problem, or who can't build functioning, loving relationships, or whose children left home as fast as they were able.

McCain's the same way. Not suitable for political leadership because his humanity got screwed up by his upbringing.

The real question is why do his contemporaries and colleagues allow him to attain the levels of position that they do? What did the Republican party think about when it offered him as a candidate? What did the military think about when they kept moving him on upstairs?

And why do we build structures in society that do what the Republicans did in 2008?

LeeG
03-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Kerry managed

JimD
03-24-2010, 07:45 PM
... Republicans now won't cooperate ...

Darn. And they've been so cooperative up till now.

leikec
03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
John McCain has his issues, and this isn't his finest hour--but as far as I'm concerned he's paid his dues. He's paid for all of us.

Perhaps we should remember that this man has difficulty raising his arms above his head...because of his service to his country.

Jeff C

Tom Montgomery
03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
As I stated previously, a REAL American hero, Admiral James Stockdale, had little use for JohnnyMac. A bit of research will uncover why that was.

leikec
03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm not a bit interested in playing that game, Tom. McCain paid the price for his service to his country. I don't have to like his politics to acknowledge the truth of McCain's sacrifice.

It doesn't have to mean anything to you, and my opinion has nothing to do with a subjective judgment on McCain's heroism.

I watched the other side play this bull**** game with Kerry; I have no intention of allowing fellow democrats do the same thing to John McCain.

Jeff C

Tom Montgomery
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
No game at all. The only game being played is the one that has been played by JohnnyMac on the American public for the past 45 years.

JohnnyMac is a f###up who had the personal misfortune but, ironically, the political fortune of being shot down over North Vietnam and taken prisoner.

I challenge you to research the parallel histories of John McCain and James Stockdale.

Our nation's everlasting shame is that JohnnyMac became a respected national politician while Admiral James Stockdale became a political laughing stock.

leikec
03-24-2010, 10:06 PM
James Stockdale isn't a "laughing stock". He is an American hero.

John McCain dosen't have to be a hero to deserve respect for his sacrifice. He went into harm's way as a member of our military.

Jeff C

Nicholas Scheuer
03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
I don't dispute McCain's heroic POW experience. I do maintain that the POW experience, in the face of other McCain character traits does not qualify him for the Presidency.

McCain was elected Senator from Arizona due to his Wife's family connections, together with his "War Hero" legend, period.

Moby Nick

G.Sherman
03-25-2010, 07:28 AM
He served and deserves respect for his service. Beyond that he's just another privileged prick gobbling at the troth. Time to pack it in.... these people aren't better than the people they represent and should be made aware of that everyday they "serve" the citizenry.

oznabrag
03-25-2010, 08:16 AM
From a true leader I would expect some class. Win with class, lose with class. Its really not that hard.

Cheers,

Bobby

That's easy for you to say, Bobby! :)

Tom Montgomery
03-25-2010, 08:38 AM
John McCain dosen't have to be a hero to deserve respect for his sacrifice. He went into harm's way as a member of our military.

So did my father. Who was twice the man that JohnnyMac is, was, or ever shall be. Mac is a petty, vindictive, profane, screw-up
and womanizer who always had the connections to pull his a$$ out of the fire. And a "Hero" according to his political biography. :rolleyes:

John of Phoenix
03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Medal of Honor citation James B. Stockdale

Rank and organization: Rear Admiral (then Captain), U.S. Navy. Place and date: Hoa Lo prison, Hanoi, North Vietnam, 4 September 1969. Entered service at: Abingdon, Ill. Born: 23 December 1923, Abingdon, Ill.
Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while senior naval officer in the Prisoner of War camps of North Vietnam. Recognized by his captors as the leader in the Prisoners' of War resistance to interrogation and in their refusal to participate in propaganda exploitation, Rear Adm. Stockdale was singled out for interrogation and attendant torture after he was detected in a covert communications attempt. Sensing the start of another purge, and aware that his earlier efforts at self-disfiguration to dissuade his captors from exploiting him for propaganda purposes had resulted in cruel and agonizing punishment, Rear Adm. Stockdale resolved to make himself a symbol of resistance regardless of personal sacrifice. He deliberately inflicted a near-mortal wound to his person in order to convince his captors of his willingness to give up his life rather than capitulate. He was subsequently discovered and revived by the North Vietnamese who, convinced of his indomitable spirit, abated in their employment of excessive harassment and torture toward all of the Prisoners of War. By his heroic action, at great peril to himself, he earned the everlasting gratitude of his fellow prisoners and of his country. Rear Adm. Stockdale's valiant leadership and extraordinary courage in a hostile environment sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4f/James_Stockdale_Formal_Portait.jpg/250px-James_Stockdale_Formal_Portait.jpg

As Dennis Miller said:
Now I know (Stockdale's name has) become a buzzword in this culture for doddering old man, but let's look at the record, folks. The guy was the first guy in and the last guy out of Vietnam, a war that many Americans, including our present President, did not want to dirty their hands with. The reason he had to turn his hearing aid on at that debate is because those fucking animals knocked his eardrums out when he wouldn't spill his guts. He teaches philosophy at Stanford University, he's a brilliant, sensitive, courageous man.

And yet he committed the one unpardonable sin in our culture: he was bad on television.

John Smith
03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Anybody offended by McCain's obdurate comment about how Republicans now won't cooperate through the end of this year because health care passed?

"Country First", eh? My ass.

He's getting as fatuous as Romney.

Being McCain, he's apt to either forget he said this, or change his mind several times soon.

John Smith
03-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Kerry managed

So did Gore, and look how he lost.

John Smith
03-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't dispute McCain's heroic POW experience. I do maintain that the POW experience, in the face of other McCain character traits does not qualify him for the Presidency.

McCain was elected Senator from Arizona due to his Wife's family connections, together with his "War Hero" legend, period.

Moby Nick
the question is: McCain has a great image from the war. How much of it is honest and deserved?

He's certainly, as a senator, been on so many different sides of the same issues, even he doesn't know where he stands.

Lew Barrett
03-25-2010, 03:02 PM

No.....just some continued (at any reasonable level) patriotism and an expression of care from a guy who ran on his record as an American hero. He has become a nowhere man.

Lew Barrett
03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
So did my father. Who was twice the man that JohnnyMac is, was, or ever shall be. Mac is a petty, vindictive, profane, screw-up
and womanizer who always had the connections to pull his a$$ out of the fire. And a "Hero" according to his political biography. :rolleyes:

I like this answer. How many of us know true American heroes? How many of those people put it in your face like this guy did? I like this definition from a living legend:

A bit of humility if you please...it is so much more appealing! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWXoYHgmTU)

Tobago
03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Service and heroism as a youth do not excuse his irresponsible actions and words as a politician. The McCain of Hanoi deserves our respect. The contemporary McCain hasn't earned any.

Ted