Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mhtimber
    • Feb 2008

Building a workshop on an island....lots of hard work

I thought I'd post some pictures of the workshop I built for the 28' Offshore Skiff project.

A good friend of mine is a builder and was the mastermind of the project; we brought out 5000+ bf of rough cut lumber by hand, in a 24' pontoon boat. The Roof trusses were raised by hand. The only part that was not manual labor were the 15 pre-cast footings, which were put in with an excavator while our septic system was being installed.

Last summer I had an electrician come out to the island to wire the building, hang overhead lights, and move the electrical service to better support the main house and the workshop.

This year I'll be adding the windows and probably wrapping and doing a final siding layer of rough cut pine; but boat building will be the priority though, it's just that time!

This is our island pick-up truck; she has been used by at least 4 other islanders to build or renovate camps. I've had close to 3000 lbs on her!

We built a 26 x 40 deck first; then started putting up the framing. We used a lot of rough green lumber for this project; most of it came off my bandsaw mill, a Woodmizer LT40H.

Making good progress on the framing and roof trusses, in no particular order:

Interior, don't mind the mess it's a construction project at this point:

Exterior, work in progress, no windows yet but they are framed in:

A few more pix in the next post
  • mhtimber
    • Feb 2008

Re: Building a workshop on an island....lots of hard work

a few additional pictures:

Comment

• ssor
      • Jan 2005

That should stand up to New England winters. Nice work.

Comment

• mhtimber
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ssor
        That should stand up to New England winters. Nice work.
        Thanks! The credit goes to my friend; I provided manual labor and learned a lot during the process.

Comment

• donald branscom
          • Nov 2004

A beautiful building and I hope many boats could get built there.
          I would be really proud of that. And all the work you did will help make you live longer too.
          I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Comment

• Emma56
            • Mar 2006

Sweet

Comment

• wintermutt
              Paragon of Mendacity
              • Mar 2010

Good looking shop - I'm jealous. Should be conducive to some fine wooden boat building inside. The use of diagonal board sheathing is a refreshing nod to traditional stick framing.

- Brent

I am not young enough to know everything.

Comment

• Eric D
                • Jul 2006

Like it a lot, any particular reason to go diag. other than asthetics?

Regardless, very nice.
                LBPC member since page 14, wood flour tip, green cap, no chips....

Comment

• davidagage
                  • May 2006

Daigonal will keep it from racking. Modern stick building that is accomplished with plywood corners.

That is a nice building and I bet a bear to build on an island. Look forwad to seeing what comes out of it.

DG
                  "The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place." -Arthur Ransome

Comment

• ssor
                    • Jan 2005

Those pontoon boats make good light barges. I have seen several set up as work platforms for bulkhead and break water work.

Comment

• mhtimber
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by wintermutt
                      Good looking shop - I'm jealous. Should be conducive to some fine wooden boat building inside. The use of diagonal board sheathing is a refreshing nod to traditional stick framing.
                      Thanks, I think it looks great; I'm sticking with it for the final siding after I wrap the building.

My builder friend was driver behind that decision; it really locks the building together, you can definitely feel the difference before and after.

Comment

• mhtimber
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by davidagage
                        ...and I bet a bear to build on an island. Look forwad to seeing what comes out of it.

DG
                        You bet ya it was a bear; especially moving all of the heavy green lumber from one pile to next! I couldn't believe how heavy full dimension green 2 x 8s weigh!

Well worth the effort though, really happy with how it's turning out.

Comment

• ssor
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mhtimber
                          You bet ya it was a bear; especially moving all of the heavy green lumber from one pile to next! I couldn't believe how heavy full dimension green 2 x 8s weigh!

Well worth the effort though, really happy with how it's turning out.
                          I'll bet you didn't feel the need to go to the gym to work out after working all day on the shop. lol

Comment

• paladin
                            Senior Senior Member
                            • Dec 2000

How big is it...L X W? I built my last one with the bld enclosed as 34 x 38 with the end exteded as a "covered deck". Then I could do all the basic work inside, and after the framing etc was finished, opened the doors, erected the strongback and worked away in the spring/summer to finish it. Barely made it before freezing my fanny.
                            Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                            ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                            Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                            Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                            "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• Breakaway
                              • Mar 2007

I'm jealous and fulfilling one of many fantasies vicariously through you. Will it be heated?
                              There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

Working...