PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood Stick

Bobcat
03-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Got a nice stick on the beach Saturday for a walking stick. Anything I can/should do to minimize its checking? There are a few splits already, which don't bother me. I would like to keep the wood from developing more splits.

thanks

TimmS
03-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I would guess that being driftwood it has dried out and soaked up water again many times, especially if it spent some time up on a beach between storms.... if it is going to check, I would think it would have then. You can slow drying by covering it in sawdust....or at least keep it out of the sun and wind.

BrianW
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Two weeks ago, walking on the beach, I lost my favorite stick.

Last I saw, it was drifting south.

;)

switters
03-15-2010, 05:02 PM
what kind of drift wood, how do you intend to use the stick, where do you intend to use the stick, will you use the stick with other people, will you need to transport the stick?

I cannot possibly help until I see pictures of the stick.

MiddleAgesMan
03-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Here is how to post pictures:....

;) :)

Bobcat
03-15-2010, 05:39 PM
what kind of drift wood, how do you intend to use the stick, where do you intend to use the stick, will you use the stick with other people, will you need to transport the stick?

I cannot possibly help until I see pictures of the stick.

Don't know the species of wood -- there was no label or marking on it on the beach

I intend to use my walking stick to walk with and I will use it whereever I am.

I will probably use with other people, but am unlikely to use it on other people.

I will transport it by hand....

Three Cedars
03-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Leave it outside , in the shade