PDA

View Full Version : If you can't say something nice...

ishmael
03-10-2010, 05:45 PM
You know the rest of it.

Got thunking on this old saw today. No particular reason, no confrontations, nothing like that. I just got to musing on it and saw a new wisdom in it. Ya know how that just happens somedays? A light goes on. This may have been just a glimmer.

How much energy do we waste by being at loggerheads over the past? Subtle energy we don't even know is going away. Stuff no one can change, yet we hold a grudge. Show of hands. I don't know anyone without a story like that. They settle in the body, and after awhile they are difficult to be rid of.

I've started doing a bit of yoga again, so maybe that's why this is rearing. Oh, that persistent pain in my right elbow is my damned brother! LOL.

Joe (SoCal)
03-10-2010, 09:25 PM
What the hell do you do for a living ??? How the hell do you buy food and pay your internet connection ?? WHAT DO YOU DO ???

ishmael
03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Joe,

It's none of your GD business.

Tom Montgomery
03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Well... true enough. But didn't you recently accuse LeeG of not revealing enough personal info?

Just saying....

Paul Pless
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
If you can't say something nice...
It's none of your GD business.hmmm....

Joe (SoCal)
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
well... True enough. But didn't you recently accuse leeg of not revealing enough personal info?

Just saying....

exactly !!!!!!

seanz
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Well... true enough. But didn't you recently accuse LeeG of not revealing enough personal info?

Just saying....

Yeah, let's all share financial information on the internet......go away, have a moment of thought, then, come back and try again.
:rolleyes:

seanz
03-10-2010, 10:13 PM
exactly !!!!!!

Not!
:p

Joe (SoCal)
03-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, let's all share financial information on the internet......go away, have a moment of thought, then, come back and try again.

I'm not asking for a bank account number I'm just asking how the freaking dude eats !!!

Tom Montgomery
03-10-2010, 10:18 PM

I am not saying we should. I am simply remarking on the irony.

seanz
03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm not asking for a bank account number I'm just asking how the freaking dude eats !!

Sparingly, by all accounts.

Joe (SoCal)
03-10-2010, 10:23 PM
But HOW !!!
How does he keep the lights on ?
Post on the internet ??

More important buy booze ?

S/V Laura Ellen
03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
But HOW !!!
How does he keep the lights on ?
Post on the internet ??

More important buy booze ?

It's interesting that you would take this tact on a thread called "If you can't say something nice..."

Joe (SoCal)
03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Not!

I'm not saying he is, but who the hell is Lee? I've never heard a peep about his work, his lover, his personal struggles. Things most of us have spoken of a bit. He's always sticking it in without us knowing who he is.

I have no idea who Lee is.

I would not be surprised if he was an agent, here to tease out the the questionable ideas.

Um YEA !! :p

Joe (SoCal)
03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
It's interesting that you would take this tact on a thread called "If you can't say something nice..."

Look at my previous post and draw your own conclusion .

seanz
03-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Yep, Lee annoys Jack, Jack annoys Lee......enough of the kindegarten stuff.

What do you call a hermit that is talkative about his finances?

Joe (SoCal)
03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Yep, Lee annoys Jack, Jack annoys Lee......enough of the kindegarten stuff.

What do you call a hermit that is talkative about his finances?

Joe,

It's none of your GD business.

Exactly :p

seanz
03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
You know the rest of it.

Got thunking on this old saw today. No particular reason, no confrontations, nothing like that. I just got to musing on it and saw a new wisdom in it. Ya know how that just happens somedays? A light goes on. This may have been just a glimmer.

How much energy do we waste by being at loggerheads over the past? Subtle energy we don't even know is going away. Stuff no one can change, yet we hold a grudge. Show of hands. I don't know anyone without a story like that. They settle in the body, and after awhile they are difficult to be rid of.

I've started doing a bit of yoga again, so maybe that's why this is rearing. Oh, that persistent pain in my right elbow is my damned brother! LOL.

Ah, the Springtime, it brings on the Yoga. Good for you. :cool:

How much energy do we waste by being at loggerheads over the past?
Too much..........there is only the now.

Or is that....now?

Missed again.
;):D

ishmael
03-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Joe pictures himself as some great white bomber. I can't help that. He has to work it out.

I will say, stepping into it a few days ago by building a set of stairs, that I'm not ready for the ring. Go ahead, man, deuce it out. Not my metier these days. Twenty years back I'd have given you a run for it, Joe but a man needs to know his limitations.

I'll give you a run in other rings.

oznabrag
03-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmael
I'm not saying he is, but who the hell is Lee? I've never heard a peep about his work, his lover, his personal struggles. Things most of us have spoken of a bit. He's always sticking it in without us knowing who he is.

I would not be surprised if he was an agent, here to tease out the the questionable ideas.
Um YEA !! :p

He's always sticking it in without us knowing who he is?

Is he cramming it down our throats, as well?

ishmael
03-10-2010, 11:39 PM
This isn't fair. I've told you who I am. I'm fifty three, living on two acres in a small house. I've got a cat, who disappeared for twenty four and has returned, bless the gods. She is very sleepy tonight after her day wandering. I'm in the phone book, if you need a bunk you've got it. I'm not posting pics, don't have one.

bobbys
03-11-2010, 12:27 AM
This isn't fair. I've told you who I am. I'm fifty three, living on two acres in a small house. I've got a cat, who disappeared for twenty four and has returned, bless the gods. She is very sleepy tonight after her day wandering. I'm in the phone book, if you need a bunk you've got it. I'm not posting pics, don't have one..

Its OK Jack.

Its not like there Donald Trump like figures piling on ya!

Upnorth1
03-11-2010, 01:53 AM
This isn't fair. I've told you who I am. I'm fifty three, living on two acres in a small house. I've got a cat, who disappeared for twenty four and has returned, bless the gods. She is very sleepy tonight after her day wandering. I'm in the phone book, if you need a bunk you've got it. I'm not posting pics, don't have one.

I think Joe is a tad jealous.

Joe (SoCal)
03-11-2010, 02:40 AM
I think Joe is a tad jealous.

Spew :D:D:D

So Ish how many frorum members have taken you up on your bunk offer ? Ive had 4 or 5 crash at my place.

Hey Ish you going to the WBS this year ???? .......... ohhhhh I thought not ..... some pressing engagement or something eh ??? Yea uh hun :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh and I'm allergic to cats.

Upnorth1
03-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Spew :D:D:D

So Ish how many frorum members have taken you up on your bunk offer ? Ive had 4 or 5 crash at my place.

Hey Ish you going to the WBS this year ???? .......... ohhhhh I thought not ..... some pressing engagement or something eh ??? Yea uh hun :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh and I'm allergic to cats.

Joe...grow up...it's not all about you, you know. Maybe go update your blog to this year. Ish hasn't said anything wrong. Actually he said something right. As usual you responded the way you always do, like a bully, which you tend to be sometimes. We both know you can do better.

Joe (SoCal)
03-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Ish hasn't said anything wrong. Actually he said something right.

Do you pay attention to his threads ?

He can dish it but he cant take it

seanz
03-11-2010, 04:48 AM
He can dish it but he cant take it

When Jack gets all existrollential and falls flat......why is it that the same bunch of guys are there to give him a gentle helping kick?
What's in it for them?

LeeG
03-11-2010, 05:00 AM
tough love

Jack:"anyone out there?"

The gallery: "yep"

Congrats on the yoga Jack, I did three sprints in an hour of bike riding and everything feels good.

ishmael
03-11-2010, 05:57 AM
It's coming on dawn, maybe five thirty here an almost Spring morning. Officially its still Winter, but the flavor of a new season has been strong the last few days.

Oh I love these few days. In a month the black flies will be zingling around the ears, and it will be harder to hum a tune.

This morning I've got the song from the 'Wizard of Oz" floating in my brain. You know the one when they finally get out of the dark forest? "We're out of the woods, etc?"

Ain't no winged monkey, Joe or other, gonna rain on this parade today.

LeeG
03-11-2010, 06:00 AM
same sunrise here

ishmael
03-11-2010, 06:20 AM
When I was wee, I want to say twenty, I had the luxury of watching the changed mood of a lake. I became a sort of sage. What is the weather doing today, Jack? I usually knew. Why is a bit of a mystery, but I knew. I suppose most of it was simply paying attention.

John Smith
03-11-2010, 07:39 AM
You know the rest of it.

I can only speak for myself. I agree, we can't change the past. However, we CAN be honest about it. We can look at the history of our national debt and see how it climbed under Reagan, Bush, and Bush. We can admit that Bush started the two wars that didn't end the moment he left office.

Or, we can act like Obama created all this debt and blame him for it.

We can re-write history, or we can own up to it.

My anger is at being lied to. We were lied into Iraq. What has that cost us? People complaining about the current health care bill supported the Medicare prescription drug bill which was not paid for, adding to our debt, and was really just a gift to the insurance companies and drug companies under the guise of helping seniors.

We can admit this, or we can deny it. We can claim "victory" when Saddam fell, when we found Saddam, and when Iraq holds elections. However, "victory" can be nothing short of a more stable middle east: THAT WAS THE GOAL!

I just filled out a democratic fundraiser survey. I rated Obama's performance "poor" in all categories and made a note that I'll send no money until they actually deliver something.

I get angry when politicians, these days republicans, tell us with a straight face things I know are not true. Even when proven not true, they continue to state those same things.

I get angry with the media. The anchor/host of a news based show should tell use what the truth is, rather than just moderate people from the two parties arguing. Only thing we learn from that is people from the two parties don't agree with with other. It's actually a lot like Jerry Springer's show, but the issues debated are more important, and no fake fist fights happen. YET!

I get angry when people, like Stupak, put his religious beliefs ahead of the constitution, and want to jam them down my throat.

I get angry when that above mentioned survey asks me to prioritize things that I don't think can be done one at a time. Jobs, the economy, the financial system, and such are all kind of intertwined.

Everyone admits that health care is 1/6 of our economy. Can we fix the economy without fixing health care? Without creating jobs, or fixing the banking industry?

Again, speaking for myself, I believe the previous administration committed crimes. They are not going to be held accountable. I can't change that. If I'm called to jury duty, I'm going to hold the defendent to the same accountability the people in the Bush administration have been held. I won't find anyone guilty.

I have a lot of republican friends and family. Only two of them have admitted Bush was a disaster and wish they hadn't voted for him. All the others seem to re-write history like 9/11 happened while someone else was president. This angers me.

I'm angered when this country is afraid to follow the constitution and try MSK in federal civilian court. I'm angry that so many who've been telling me "they" are unable to attack us here because of the two wars over there, are now afraid of "them" attacking us here.

I'm angered by the lack of thought as to where/how this guy is tried has any impact of if/how/where they would attack us, like it's written in stone that the attack has to be near the trial. Where the trial is would be where the most security is. New York is more likely to get attacked if the trial is held elsewhere, as the trial in NY would bring all that extra security with it.

To summarize this, it would be marvelous to hear a few of Bush's party stand up and say, "We made some mistakes. What can we do to correct them?"

Syed
03-11-2010, 08:23 AM
If you can't say something nice...
Quit the nice place like 'The Bilge' ;)

Paul Pless
03-11-2010, 08:53 AM
I can only speak for myself. I agree, we can't change the past. However, we CAN be honest about it. We can look at the history of our national debt and see how it climbed under Reagan, Bush, and Bush. We can admit that Bush started the two wars that didn't end the moment he left office.

Or, we can act like Obama created all this debt and blame him for it.

We can re-write history, or we can own up to it.

My anger is at being lied to. We were lied into Iraq. What has that cost us? People complaining about the current health care bill supported the Medicare prescription drug bill which was not paid for, adding to our debt, and was really just a gift to the insurance companies and drug companies under the guise of helping seniors.

We can admit this, or we can deny it. We can claim "victory" when Saddam fell, when we found Saddam, and when Iraq holds elections. However, "victory" can be nothing short of a more stable middle east: THAT WAS THE GOAL!

I just filled out a democratic fundraiser survey. I rated Obama's performance "poor" in all categories and made a note that I'll send no money until they actually deliver something.

I get angry when politicians, these days republicans, tell us with a straight face things I know are not true. Even when proven not true, they continue to state those same things.

I get angry with the media. The anchor/host of a news based show should tell use what the truth is, rather than just moderate people from the two parties arguing. Only thing we learn from that is people from the two parties don't agree with with other. It's actually a lot like Jerry Springer's show, but the issues debated are more important, and no fake fist fights happen. YET!

I get angry when people, like Stupak, put his religious beliefs ahead of the constitution, and want to jam them down my throat.

I get angry when that above mentioned survey asks me to prioritize things that I don't think can be done one at a time. Jobs, the economy, the financial system, and such are all kind of intertwined.

Everyone admits that health care is 1/6 of our economy. Can we fix the economy without fixing health care? Without creating jobs, or fixing the banking industry?

Again, speaking for myself, I believe the previous administration committed crimes. They are not going to be held accountable. I can't change that. If I'm called to jury duty, I'm going to hold the defendent to the same accountability the people in the Bush administration have been held. I won't find anyone guilty.

I have a lot of republican friends and family. Only two of them have admitted Bush was a disaster and wish they hadn't voted for him. All the others seem to re-write history like 9/11 happened while someone else was president. This angers me.

I'm angered when this country is afraid to follow the constitution and try MSK in federal civilian court. I'm angry that so many who've been telling me "they" are unable to attack us here because of the two wars over there, are now afraid of "them" attacking us here.

I'm angered by the lack of thought as to where/how this guy is tried has any impact of if/how/where they would attack us, like it's written in stone that the attack has to be near the trial. Where the trial is would be where the most security is. New York is more likely to get attacked if the trial is held elsewhere, as the trial in NY would bring all that extra security with it.

To summarize this, it would be marvelous to hear a few of Bush's party stand up and say, "We made some mistakes. What can we do to correct them?"

where the hell did that come from

LeeG
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM

I think they said "mistakes were made", we were attacked by hypotheticals.

pefjr
03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Well, I've come to the end of this comic strip, I think I will check new posts. Oh, John, can you shorten that up a bit, I fell asleep in the second paragraph?

oznabrag
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
__________________where the hell did that come from

I think he's trying to explain why he's so angry. Why he finds it difficult to 'say something nice'.

I agree with him.

A WHOLE LOT of bitter rancor on the Left would simply dissolve if we could get a "Sorry fellas! Our bad!" from the Right. That would let us know that we were still on the same team, man, but the Right is angry they won't be allowed to destroy the Constitution and the global economy completely.

Where in the hell is the 'moderation'? How does the Right justify having campaigned for decades to convince the US voter that the Center is actually a bunch of hard-core communist extremists?

It's just not healthy!

There seem to be a great number of Righties who are completely outraged that the Nation voted them out of power because they were determined to ruin the country. Like a 3-year-old who pitches a tantrum when he's denied the privilege of scribbling his crayons on the walls.

These folk are so wound up, they're willing to mislead, prevaricate, dissemble... to LIE outright in their desperate struggle to hold on to power. The power that would allow them to destroy this Nation. The analogy to the 3-year-old tantrum goes only so far. A more serious parallel can be drawn between the pitiful, crazed rabble that the US Right has become, and a violent, abusive, drug-addicted spouse.

It's clear, to me anyway, that a great deal of the angst on the Right is involved with having a Black man in the White House. Don't get me wrong there, Paul, I'm convinced that you, personally, are not among that particular class. Having grown up in the South, as did I, you're much better equipped to accommodate that fact than, say, the average Kansan.

I'm sorry, Paul. I know you're a Rightie, but I know you're rational, too, so I'm not lumping you in, here. I am very disappointed in the Right as a group, however, because they seem to have abdicated reason. This Nation needs those of you who can still think to get some sort of control of the right screw and rudder there, Boss!

Joe (SoCal)
03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
"If you can't say anything nice about anyone else, come sit next to me."
— Gertrude Stein

Joe (SoCal)
03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Hmmm... I always thought it was Dorothy Parker who said that :)

I thought so as well but when I googled the quote to make sure I got this.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/4734

ishmael
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Just a point. I said my thread about Lee was tongue in cheek. He took it as that, I think.

This BS by Joe is an attack. I'm not going to fend it off, which will infuriate him, but I don't care. Look, my friend, you know some things I don't and vice versa. Can we learn some things? I hope so. I don't need to win anymore.

seanz
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
tough love

Jack:"anyone out there?"

The gallery: "yep"

Congrats on the yoga Jack, I did three sprints in an hour of bike riding and everything feels good.

Well, if you're motivated by love......that's OK then. ;):)

Some of the other gallery members? I think they're motivated by 'tough'.

seanz
03-11-2010, 06:23 PM
everyone

You're the only one that mentions it........I wouldn't even know about it if you didn't post about it every six months or so.......

For some people, money can be an absolute killer.

Seems to work really slowly.......do you think it hurts? ;):)

Upnorth1
03-11-2010, 08:04 PM
An alcoholic + money + idle time = disaster. It's been proven time and again.

The reason for Jack's repetitive threads is because he's a blackout drunk. He has no idea what he's written on this forum when he wakes up in the morning. He somehow equates himself with Steven King and wants to walk down that path but even Steven King sobered up.

Believe me. I know ALL about alcoholism.. He's in the last stages. One other thing that I know about Jack is he will will do nothing to refute anything I've said. You know why? Because he knows it's the truth. Just watch.

So much for "If you can't say anything nice". This post really takes the cake for rudeness and nastiness. You should be ashamed of yourself.
He probably won't refute you because that would be lowering himself considerably. Why would he do that?

seanz
03-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Just watch.

Mike;

I am watching and have done so for some time.

There have been a lot of repetitive and pointless posts......a few of them have been from Ishmael.

If you think being mean to someone that has a problem will help (and, hey, it might), it had better work the first time. All subsequent attempts at 'helping' are just you being mean.

Don't let me stop your fun though, some people can get addicted to shouting at the deaf.

ishmael
03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't care what Google says, that's Parker. I can't cite it, but I'd bet my bippy on it.

Chip-skiff
03-11-2010, 09:00 PM
The quote attributed to Dorothy Parker is: "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me..."

I'd not be surprised if Gertrude Stein said something like that and Parker adopted it.

Wouldn't be surprised to find something of that sort in Catullus. Malice being a persistent quality among us.

oznabrag
03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't care what Google says, that's Parker. I can't cite it, but I'd bet my bippy on it.

According to this site (http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2009/08/27/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-come-sit-by-me/), the quote is attributed to Alice Roosevelt Longworth, Teddy Roosevelt's daughter.

ishmael
03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Whatever, Mike. If that story makes you happy, have after it. I've held one thing close to my heart all my life. Honesty. I think I've done OK.Near as I can figure I can't do it better. If I called you and was an insufferable drunk I apologize, but you may have made that one up. I don't tend to hang on the phone that way with somone who wants to go away.

Back to the point. Can't you just smile on the day? It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close. I'm without a lover, which I miss, my kitty was gone for a day, my hair needs a cut, I need a shave. Let's see, what else can I complain about? I wish I had more money. Not sure what I'd do with it. How's that?

ishmael
03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Interesting, OZ. Parker made it bite, but it's fascinating it originated with an American lady. Hard to find a better pedigree than a Roosvelt.

SMARTINSEN
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
. Hard to find a better pedigree than a Roosvelt.

Alice was a wingnut. She would have fit right in.

sailboy3
03-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Look at my post count and take a look at your own. We have all tried to help him over the last ten years. Pretty soon things just are what they are. Have you talked with Jack on the phone on a weekday when he interrupted your workday and he was so dog drunk you had to hang up on him? He doesn't remember that either. But that's all I'll say. Alcoholics are very selfish by nature and love the attention, both good and bad. Jack is really enjoying this one. The last stages find you nothing but alone. Just a bottle and memories. That's all you have left.

Geez, I'm sure you'd really appreciate people posting descriptions of your bad days too.

This thread has gone a long ways from its title. :rolleyes:

oznabrag
03-11-2010, 10:31 PM

Interesting, OZ. Parker made it bite, but it's fascinating it originated with an American lady. Hard to find a better pedigree than a Roosvelt.

Sooo...You rolled over on that one real quick, Jack!

You can keep your 'bippy'.

Upnorth1
03-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Look at my post count and take a look at your own. We have all tried to help him over the last ten years. Pretty soon things just are what they are. Have you talked with Jack on the phone on a weekday when he interrupted your workday and he was so dog drunk you had to hang up on him? He doesn't remember that either. But that's all I'll say. Alcoholics are very selfish by nature and love the attention, both good and bad. Jack is really enjoying this one. The last stages find you nothing but alone. Just a bottle and memories. That's all you have left.

So a high post count gives you the right to be rude or nasty. I get it. i've run into this phenom here before. If you really care about Jack, and you think he's an alcoholic, you know that your response was inappropriate. Given your own past history you know better than most how you should respond to an alcoholic, and when not to. You could also have responded by PM, but I don't think good intentions are what your post was about.

seanz
03-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Pretty soon things just are what they are.

Yep.
Doesn't stop you from dragging up old stories though, does it?
Or was this a recent call?

seanz
03-11-2010, 11:34 PM
You can keep your 'bippy'.

Dare I ask.........what is a bippy?

ishmael
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I wish I knew, dear friend, just what a bippy is. It comes from a sixties US sitcom, Laugh In. Very funny at times. Rowan and Martin were, near as I can figure, stand up comics out of the Vegas tradition. Very damn funny. Got a situation that's funny? Let's measure it it in years.

I take it back, it's not a sitcom, it's a variety show.

Upnorth1
03-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Dare I ask.........what is a bippy?

Here you go:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bippy

bobbys
03-12-2010, 02:42 AM
So in summery Jack posts a thread on how he feels, Libs take the opportunity to pounce on him personally and demean him while others figure its a perfect time to make political rants?