PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Cost of Living calculator for MA

elf
03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
http://liveworkthrive.org/calculator.php

Says it's as expensive to live in SE MA as it is to live on the Islands, but cheaper to live in Barnstable county.

Give it a try, folks. And if you find one for cities and towns in other states, let us know.

Bruce Hooke
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Interesting. I tried a few different towns and Nantucket seemed to take the prize for most expensive by a wide margin...at least amongst the places I checked. At the other end of the scale, the towns of Franklin County were the cheapest, but not by wide margin relative to various other interior parts of the state.

elf
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
It was interesting that I could live in Shelburne for $20K a year and here for $25K. But it would cost me almost $30K to live in Plainville, only 20 odd miles inland from here and on the other side of the canal.

Bruce Hooke
03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
It was interesting that I could live in Shelburne for $20K a year and here for $25K. But it would cost me almost $30K to live in Plainville, only 20 odd miles inland from here and on the other side of the canal.

It looks like much of this is housing costs. Plainville being within commuting range of Boston and Providence, it is not surprising that the housing costs are higher.