PDA

View Full Version : Reagan bill

S.V. Airlie
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Not that it matters. I would not replace Grant though. I would replace Jackson. He was a crook through and through.

paladin
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Jackson was prime candidate for a hair raising party....

John Smith
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Not that it matters. I would not replace Grant though. I would replace Jackson. He was a crook through and through.
Why would anyone want reagan on a bill? Or is "bill" here the one he left for my kids?

john l
03-04-2010, 05:24 PM
if they put reagan on anything it should be the $3 bill as he was the luckiest guy around.

leikec
03-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Truman should get one before Reagan.

Jeff C

Captain Intrepid
03-05-2010, 01:32 AM
I don't get it. Aren't you supposed to put great people who accomplish great things from history on bills and national monuments? //confused// The only great thing about Reagan is that he had the great luck of in being in office while the Soviet Union imploded from within.

seafox
03-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Ah Captian Intrepid. why do you think the soviet union imploded? it was the pressure and strong front Reagan thatcher and pope John Paul together enforced. it sure wasn't Carters telling the russanss at the same time what we wanted and what we would axcept at the same time. even as a teen I thought that was the stupidest way to negociate an agreement.

as to the "bill my kids will pay off" since 74 the spending of money has been dictated by congress. Reagans greatest defect was he was way too nice. he hould never agreed to the "tax reform of 86" it caused the S & L failure and the recession that cost bush his presidency.

that said Reagan is still the best president of the last 60 years

Captain Intrepid
03-05-2010, 02:44 AM
So Reagan started the war in Afghanistan, singlehandedly stagnated the Soviet economy, and ordered Glasnost instituted? Do you think that a stern talking to had more of an effect on the USSR than any one of those huge considerations? Face it, the USSR was doomed no matter what yahoo was in office. And if you want to give credit to any American president for increasing the pressure on Moscow, how about the one who ended détente? Indeed, Reagan was just following and strengthening policies Jimmy Carter put in place. But that doesn't jive with the idealistic popular history that trumps actual history in most people's minds.

seafox
03-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Carter ended detente? Oh when he wouldn't go to the moscow olympics. Carter was a Doormat for the comunists he cut our defence spending. Reagan did the proper job of the federal government National defence and drove the russians over the financial edge. Reagan just said Nyet to deals that gave the russians advantages. Carter never did he only hurt americans. Plus Reagan brought america out of the malaise and recaession carters presidency caused

seanz
03-05-2010, 03:22 AM
.....for when you forget your wallet.

Rigadog
03-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Put him on a coin. I suggest reusing one half of the Susan B Anthony dollar to save mint and engraving costs.

George.
03-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Aren't you supposed to put great people who accomplish great things from history on bills and national monuments?

Not always. In this case, they want to replace Useless Grant with an equally useless chap. They had much in common as presidents.

S.V. Airlie
03-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't get it. Aren't you supposed to put great people who accomplish great things from history on bills and national monuments? //confused// The only great thing about Reagan is that he had the great luck of in being in office while the Soviet Union imploded from within.

Captain.. he is better than Jackson.. Trail of tears.... Hell the Supreme court upheld the Indians in a court case and Jackison's comment to the world was.. "The court can make the laws but I'm the one to enforce them."

A basic crook of the first magnitude. Do you all like having a major crook on a bill? Not me

paul oman
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Without Grant, American would probably be a far different and weaker country. Imagine the USA if the north had not defeated the south in the Civil War.

Grant also put into place the civil service exams, before that all fed jobs were given out as favors and payback (like what Obama does now).

Grant was a great president. He got a bad wrap from folks that expected federal jobs from him (see above) - also we worked hard to maintain the positive results of the civil war (often needed troops to do that). This make him unpopular. With the 1876 election maintaining the positive CW outcomes was given up and civil rights entered the dark ages. Black Americans, all of whom were hard core republicans (the republicans ended slavery - the dems mostly fought to maintain slavery) began shifting support to the 'new' democrats.

Without Grant, Obama was never have been elected president as black Americans (with or without birth cerficates!) would not enjoy the civil rights successes they (and all Americans) enjoy.

Grant gave his arch enemy, Lee, the most kind and friendly terms in April 1865. A sign of a noble spirit.

S.V. Airlie
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
paul.. He was a fair president a a much better general.
He does not rank that high on the most impressive presidential listings.

Captain Intrepid
03-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Captain.. he is better than Jackson.. Trail of tears.... Hell the Supreme court upheld the Indians in a court case and Jackison's comment to the world was.. "The court can make the laws but I'm the one to enforce them."

A basic crook of the first magnitude. Do you all like having a major crook on a bill? Not me

Not saying Jackson's a stand up fellow, just that Reagan isn't exactly that distinguished. Why not use FDR, one of your most popular presidents ever? Or get rid of the 2 dollar bill and use Thomas Jefferson?

S.V. Airlie
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Not saying Jackson's a stand up fellow, just that Reagan isn't exactly that distinguished. Why not use FDR, one of your most popular presidents ever? Or get rid of the 2 dollar bill and use Thomas Jefferson?

My choices for replacement.. Teddy Roosevelt.. Truman, Adams (J),
Nix to Jackson

Hwyl
03-05-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/2500/toilet-paper-2547.jpg

Captain Intrepid
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
What's that, Chinese toilet paper? ;)

TomF
03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Quick - who are the 5 faces on Canadian currency? No peeking.

In case anyone doubt's Canada's national feeling for hockey ... "Exhibit A" is this quote on our $5 bill
The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. We lived in three places—the school, the church, and the skating-rink—but our real life was on the skating-rinkAn excerpt from Roch Carrier's story "The Hockey Sweater" ... annotating the scene on the reverse of the bill, showing kids playing (among other things) ... hockey.

pefjr
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Not saying Jackson's a stand up fellow, just that Reagan isn't exactly that distinguished. Why not use FDR, one of your most popular presidents ever? Or get rid of the 2 dollar bill and use Thomas Jefferson?Do you get a vote on this decision?

pefjr
03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Quick - who are the 5 faces on Canadian currency? No peeking.

In case anyone doubt's Canada's national feeling for hockey ... "Exhibit A" is this quote on our $5 bill An excerpt from Roch Carrier's story "The Hockey Sweater" ... annotating the scene on the reverse of the bill, showing kids playing (among other things) ... hockey.The only Canadian currency I have ever seen is a dime. And that includes 3 trips to Canada. Do you hide that money?

TomF
03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
The only Canadian currency I have ever seen is a dime. And that includes 3 trips to Canada. Do you hide that money?No, we just spread the wealth around a bit.

$5 - Sir Wilfred Laurier
$10 - Sir John A. MacDonald
$20 - Queen Elizabeth II
$50 - William Lyon Mackenzie King
$100 - Sir Robert Borden

Mrleft8
03-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Canada has it's own currency?.....

George.
03-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I like the faces on our currency. ;)

TomF
03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Canada has it's own currency?.....Currently.

pefjr
03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
No, we just spread the wealth around a bit.

$5 - Sir Wilfred Laurier
$10 - Sir John A. MacDonald
$20 - Queen Elizabeth II
$50 - William Lyon Mackenzie King
$100 - Sir Robert BordenIt must be spread pretty thin. And I have never heard of these heros, tell us more. What's the Sir for, thought that was a Brit title? No Lords?

TomF
03-05-2010, 12:45 PM
'Cept for the Queen, they're dead politicians, just like on your stuff. The "Sir" was because the Brit monarch of the day knighted them, recognizing their contribution to the Country. The practice rather stopped after about 1931, which is why Mackenzie King was left out.

MacDonald was our first Prime Minister ... Laurier the first Francophone PM.

Borden was PM during WW1, and Mackenzie King during WW2.

The latter was not only arguably a great Prime Minister, but enough of a world-class eccentric to make it onto our currency for that reason alone. As Wikipedia gently put it:
Privately, he was highly eccentric with his preference for communing with spirits, including those of Leonardo da Vinci (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci), Sir Wilfrid Laurier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Wilfrid_Laurier), his dead mother, and several of his Irish Terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Terrier) dogs, all named Pat except one named Bob. He also claimed to commune with the spirit of Franklin Delano Roosevelt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Delano_Roosevelt), American president and close friend. Understandably, not many knew of his scrumptious weirdidity when they were electing the gent.

Mrleft8
03-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Thought you guys paid for everything with beaver pelts and Hudson bay blankets......

leikec
03-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a Canadian twenty-dollar bill tucked in my wallet.

I'm rich! I'm rich! I'm rich, I tell ya!

Jeff C

TomF
03-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Thought you guys paid for everything with beaver pelts and Hudson bay blankets......That started to play hell with our balance of payments. Much cheaper to just use little slips of paper.

Captain Intrepid
03-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Do you get a vote on this decision?

Nope! But then again, you don't either. :D

pefjr
03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Nope! But then again, you don't either. :DIn that case, I purpose taking the flipped out LMKing off the Canadian $50 and replacing with Reagan. Big improvement and since you guys like to mettle in our business, that'll give you something to bitch about, right at home. At least until Canada becomes the 51st state.

TomF
03-05-2010, 01:35 PM
In that case, I purpose taking the flipped out LMKing off the Canadian $50 and replacing with Reagan. Big improvement and since you guys like to mettle (sic) in our business, that'll give you something to bitch about, right at home. At least until Canada becomes the 51st state.Come up here and say that, and we'll show you our mettle, for sure. :D

Besides, we liked Mackenzie King; Canadian historians often argue that he was our best PM ever. However incredibly strange his personal life. Who knows, maybe consulting with his dead Irish Terriers helped with that - haven't you been reading the "dog" thread?

Captain Intrepid
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
In that case, I purpose taking the flipped out LMKing off the Canadian $50 and replacing with Reagan. Big improvement and since you guys like to mettle in our business, that'll give you something to bitch about, right at home. At least until Canada becomes the 51st state.

I fully support your right to have crazy and slightly insecure opinions. :D Afraid of little ole Canada?

pefjr
03-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I fully support your right to have crazy and slightly insecure opinions. :D Afraid of little ole Canada? Afraid of the Canada you and Jardine are always bragging about? I thought it was heaven.

TomF
03-05-2010, 02:19 PM
So why does the queen look so young on your money? She got old, you know. :eek:We're too polite to notice.

Michael D. Storey
03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Is this the wrong time to mention that Ca went metric because James Earl Carter sed we were gonna, but then that forward-thinking person to follow him at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave felt that we were better to stand with Borneo as the last inch-foot-pound holdout, but by that time the Canadian die had been cast, as it were,,,,?

Michael D. Storey
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
So why does the queen look so young on your money? She got old, you know. :eek:

It might make it easier for blind Canadians to recognize what bill they were holding, if they could feel the wrinkles, as it were.
Jusayin

ahp
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Grant was a superb general but a naive president. He allowed himself to be surrounded by rascals.

The demise of the Soviet Union was mainly due to the policies of George Kennnan, whose memoirs I am reading now. Reagan was a nitwit. I was working on what came to be known as "Star Wars" when Reagan was costaring with a chimp. Remember "Bedtime for Bozo". Can't recall which was Bozo.

It wasn't until his second term that RR understood that once an ICBM was fired there was no way of aborting it. Scary!

oznabrag
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Grant was a superb general but a naive president. He allowed himself to be surrounded by rascals.

Naive?

You sir, have just earned a place as a kind soul.

Enjoy!

Captain Intrepid
03-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Afraid of the Canada you and Jardine are always bragging about? I thought it was heaven.

Heaven! I'm in heaven! And the cares that hung around me through the week seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak, when we'e out together dancing cheek to cheek. ;)

ahp
03-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Thank you Oznabrag. Ex generals have hard time figgering out how Washington works, but there are always plenty of clever fellows who are very willing to teach them.

Tom Montgomery
03-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Presently the largest US denomination is the $100 bill. Benjamin Franklin is on the obverse and Independence Hall is on the reverse.

I think the US Treasury Department should reissue the $1000 bill. Put Dutch's mug on the obverse and the New York Stock Exchange on the reverse. That would be fitting, I think.

Mrleft8
03-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Presently the largest US denomination is the $100 bill. Benjamin Franklin is on the obverse and Independence Hall is on the reverse.

I think the US Treasury Department should reissue the $1000 bill. Put Dutch's mug on the obverse and the New York Stock Exchange on the obverse. That would be fitting, I think.

Impossible. Can't put Dutch and the stock exchange on the same side...... Not enough room.....;)

Tom Montgomery
03-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Yep. My bad. That second "obverse" should read "reverse."

bobbys
03-05-2010, 11:29 PM
bean as our currency is backed by the Chinese it would only be fitting to have there prez or leader on our money so people can really understand the truth of it all.