PDA

View Full Version : Lessons our dogs can teach us

paul oman
03-03-2010, 02:17 PM
/Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

//When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
//Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
//Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be
pure Ecstasy.
//Take naps.
//Stretch before rising.
//Run, romp, and play daily.
//Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
//Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
//On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
//On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
//When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
//Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
//Be loyal.
//Never pretend to be something you're not.
//If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
//When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and
nuzzle them gently.
//ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!/

Popeye
03-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.oh yah .. he does love his car rides , doesn't actually go anywhere , or get out and romp when we arrive , he just likes siting in the back seat and waiting patiently while i run errands or sometimes gets up to lean on the steering wheel and toot the horn if i take too long

TomF
03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Thumbs up. (or maybe paws?)

Popeye
03-03-2010, 02:50 PM
our friends dog can ring their doorbell

we would be sitting around and there's a ding-dong and someone says .. hey go let the dog in ..

TomF
03-03-2010, 02:53 PM
our friends dog can ring their doorbell

we would be siting around and there's a ding-dong and someone says .. hey go let the dog in ..Brilliant.

Our pup rings a bell hanging beside the door when she needs to go out ... I'll have to install a doorbell for her to get back in ...

SMARTINSEN
03-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I wish that I could be as good a man as my dog thinks that I am.

mmd
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
We have lever-type door handles on our back door. The dog learned how to pull it down to open the door and let herself in. So we had to teach her to close it after her. She does pretty well at this, but tends to forget when she's excited. She's only squished the cat in the door once (that I know of).

TomF
03-03-2010, 03:05 PM
... She's only squished the cat in the door once (that I know of).cok (coffee on keyboard):D

mmd
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
It made an - interesting - sound, Tom.

TomF
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
It made an - interesting - sound, Tom....And there are those here who say that spelling is irrelevant. Good thing this is a written, and not an aural forum. ;)

chas
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
"She" for the dog; "it" for the cat. Somebody has their priorities right. LOL / Jim

mmd
03-03-2010, 03:17 PM
For that particular cat, "it" is the appropriate term, Chas. The other two have gender, personality, and names.

TomF
03-03-2010, 03:19 PM
For that particular cat, "it" is the appropriate term, Chas. The other two have gender, personality, and names....and apparently, enough wits to stay away from closing doors.

chas
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I stand corrected. Three cats would require a barn, for my participation. Each to his own. No offense intended to your gender-less cat. / Jim

mmd
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Trust me, I didn't want three cats. We had a dog and two well-adjusted cats. Then a wonderful old friend had to give up his home due to health issues and move into an apartment that didn't accept cats. Guess who he called?

paladin
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
When lil critter wants to go out...and I'm sleeping, she jumps on the bed and gets straddle me and licks my face.....
When downstairs she gets in front of me and runs to the door, repeat as necessary, she wants in it's a gentle "woof" the first couple of times and if I'm not fast enough for her it's a bark.
She recognizes that I don't walk too far these days....we go outside and I sit down on the porch, she goes to the sidewalk and waits, if there's no cars in the cul-de sac I point and say git......and she'll go to the wooded are, but always within my sight...and periodically she'll look at me for a minute so I can either wave my hand (continue what's she's doing) or whistle two short ones to return. She will always stop at the bottom of the steps...if I get up to go inside she will follow...If I sit still she may come and stretch out next to me or lay on the grass next to the porch. She's a sweet pup....both of us may last about as long as the other.....

mmd
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I've known little dogs that lived upwards of twenty years, Chuck. Can you stand dialysis for that long?

rufustr
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Boris is a much better person than I am.

He has modified my behaviour for the better in many ways.

At the Timber Supplier the other day I was refused service because I had left Boris at home.

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo39/rufustr/BORIS.jpg

chas
03-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Calgarians would remember the cheer they reserved for Gretzky when he was in town with the Oilers. "Whiner...whiner." (He did talk to the refs a little much for my liking, but he was welcome on the Habs anytime.)

Anyway, a friend of a friend taught their dog to sit and whine anytime Gretzky's name was mentioned during games. Apparently quite funny for the locals, who nevertheless would have accepted The Great One on the Flames as well.

Sorry for the thread distraction, Paul. I've had two dogs in my life so far; both a source of great enjoyment. / Jim

paul oman
03-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Nice to have something friendly in the Bilge. To continue the nice dog 'stories' (sent to my by friends):

A Dog's Purpose? (from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish
Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their
little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were
hoping for a miracle.
I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family
we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the
euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be
good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as
though Shane might learn something from the experience.
The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker?s family
surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last
time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few
minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.
The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any
difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's
Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are
shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned
me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the
way I try and live.
He said, ''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good
life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?''
The Six-year-old continued,''Well, dogs already know how to do that,
so they don't have to stay as long.''

McMike
03-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I wish that I could be as good a man as my dog thinks that I am.

Me too.

paladin
03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Naw, Doug....Cockers have a normal lifespan of 12-14 years, and Pup is getting up there....#2 lived to the fantastic age of 18, the vet said I had to be wrong about her age, but I got her at 8 weeks, and the papers....and she was with me all that time. Brandy #3 passed away a week after her 14th birthday, and number one was a few weeks past 12 when she chased a ball into the street at my mothers house and was hit by a car, she was partially deaf and blind but was still playing with my brothers kids in the yard. Critter has seen the vet for surgery twice in the last year......and recovered, but she's getting tired.

oznabrag
03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
We're all getting tired, Chuck. Just keep hanging in. It's all we can ever do.

Michael D. Storey
03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Also, Dogs look good all their lives naked

Capt'n Widda
03-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Brody, my Norfolk Terrier, became Ken's seizure alert dog. First seizure, no training. Pestered me 5-10 seconds before each incident. I am eternally grateful to that 4 footed K9 for his help.

stevedwyer
03-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Now I'm thinking when my ex-wife said "... all men are dogs!", that wasn't such a bad thing.

Makes me think of that song...Everything reminds me of my dog by Jane Siberry

stevedwyer
03-04-2010, 01:25 AM
You speak of how the pup helps redesign your life?
Yup, I've been fixin' up the place all due to a 5 week old Lab I'll be bringing home the first of April.
I haven't had the time to raise one for years now, or fix up the place for that matter.

paul oman
03-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I like this bilge thread. It is bringing out the nicer side of the forum membership. No politics, no snapping, no insults. Aren't dogs wonderful?

ripley699
03-04-2010, 01:45 PM
For those who have lost their " Best friend " :

I have done mostly what most men do,
And pushed it out of my mind;
But I can't forget, if I wanted to,
Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through --
Wherever my road inclined --
Four-feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round, --
Which I shall never find --
Somewhere that does not carry the sound
Of Four-Feet trotting behind.

Rudyard Kipling

RIPLEY

JimM
03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I found this on a web site a few years ago and have always liked it.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." (Cheryl Zuccaro, High Meadow Danes)

I guess I need to have a few more dogs in my life before I can become as generous and loving as them.

Shang
03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY

Day number 180
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair ... must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

http://www.lisashea.com/lisabase/fun/diarydog.html

stevedwyer
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Here's a quote that has stuck in my mind....

"I've walked cross-country in deep snow late at night and had the company of a dog I didn't ask to come along.

I've sat alone in a sad house and cursed my fortune while the dog curled at my feet had a faith in tomorrow I could not find.

I've been hours late getting out a dog's feed pan and never heard a complaint.

I've yelled in a rage to clear the room of man and beast only to see a few minutes later one black nose and two bright eyes poke around the door jamb to sense the smell of a room. I but shifted my chair and the rascal was in my lap. The men who cleared the room? They never came back.

I've picked up dogs with broken bones and taken them to a vet. No pain could make the dog cry out to his benefactor.

I've seen children calmed at night with a dog on their pillow. There could be no better pacifier, no finer protector. I might sleep through whatever befell the child, or shy from an intruder. The dog would do neither.

I've seen dogs break ice to retrieve a duck, go down a 70 per cent grade to head a sheep, chase a car cross-town to be part of a family outing, sniff out a warehouse while a policeman crouched outside with drawn pistol, lick a sick man's feet, kiss a crying child's cheek, stare beseechingly at a mother's worried face, raise the arm of a dead-tired man who'd worked too hard to make ends meet.

I've seen men bury their dogs and not be able to stand up to leave the grave. And I've seldom known a man to mention a dog's parting."
Quote from Bill Tarrant

stevedwyer
03-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I like this bilge thread. It is bringing out the nicer side of the forum membership. No politics, no snapping, no insults. Aren't dogs wonderful?Maybe we should pause next time before the voting booth and ask ourselves which politician more closely emulates the qualities of our dog?

PeterSibley
03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
My dog has taught me that when you're old it's OK to walk 10 feet from the front door and crap on the path .:D

rufustr
03-05-2010, 12:05 AM
My dog has taught me that when you're old it's OK to walk 10 feet from the front door and crap on the path .:D

You mean that's not OK now?

seafox
03-05-2010, 02:45 AM
I've two dogs the chow begle mix is the smarter for a while she opened the door to let the bigger dog in. till she trained me to do it ( and still she got the treat) some people think my dogs are mean because the bark so much ( kids on bikes drove them crazy where we once lived. but I still remember a neice carrying this medium size dog that was almost big as her hugging the dog around the chest. this suposidly mean dog had a look that seemed to say " just kill me now" but never wined fought or snaped at the little girl. about the only reason to go on living some days

remember an old saying. A boy learns three things from his dog .Loyality, responsibility, and to turn around three times before you lay down.

rufustr
03-05-2010, 03:03 AM
My 32 year old son still has his childhood dog Sophie's ashes in an Urn on his bookcase.

She too was a much better person than I am.

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo39/rufustr/sophiefernyparks.jpg

skuthorp
03-05-2010, 03:05 AM
We have lever-type door handles on our back door. The dog learned how to pull it down to open the door and let herself in. So we had to teach her to close it after her. She does pretty well at this, but tends to forget when she's excited. She's only squished the cat in the door once (that I know of).

mmd, you have my admiration, they learn to open a door by themselves, but to train one to close it too................. Personally I reckon the only reason dogs don't talk is because they get their message across quite well without it.

paladin
03-05-2010, 07:01 AM
One of the more interesting things about pups that I have noticed....
When Wuff was about 2 years old he was a pretty big critter....never upset, always watching people. I hired a receptionist. After two or three days he would just look at her on his way into my office, then curl up in his corner, unless I went into the hangar. One morning we came to work, receptionist was at her desk, Wuff was walking past, turned, looked at her and I heard a low growl from him...he was looking at her with the most intent eyes I had ever seen...he was sniffing...he slowly walked to her at her seat and started sniffing all around....and she was getting nervous. I couldn't figure out what was wrong.
Wuff stretched out a few feet from her desk, looking straight at her, staring, then I caught it.....I asked the girl if she was having her period....she sorta choked up and said yes......I suggested she take the day or two off. Wuff never took his eyes off of her as she left.

ripley699
03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
My Newfoundland, " Cricket " was only a year old. She loved " frosty paws " an ice cream like substance for dogs.
I trained her that each time she had a little cup of Frosty paws, she had to pick up the empty cup and place it in the trash can ...

Stan D
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Ever wonder why a dog does 2 or 3 circles before laying down? My Dad always said that they were looking for loose change.:D:D

TomF
03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Ever wonder why a dog does 2 or 3 circles before laying down? My Dad always said that they were looking for loose change.:D:DBrilliant.

Someone once told me it's an instinctual relic; they used to tread down the grass before lying down ... but I like your Dad's idea better.

martin schulz
03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Mine is a far better looking salt than I...well at least he has the right facial expression ;)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/sionnachan/Hunni/Flint-festgemacht.jpg

ripley699
03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Best way to break them of that habit is to tell anyone who will come in contact with your newfy is to have them GENTLY "knee them " in the chest when they jump up.
The dog is trying to get closer to the person,often to give them a kiss. The knee to the chest,,,again " gently ' will teach them that their way won't work and they will try another way to show affection.;)

Katherine
03-06-2010, 03:41 PM
I often wondered what stories Bob and now Mollie could tell me about Paul.

ripley699
03-06-2010, 04:44 PM
I often wondered what stories Bob and now Mollie could tell me about Paul.

Katherine,
If Bob & Mollie are paul's dogs ,then they,being good dogs,,,they would never tell you everthing they know about Paul...thats what good dogs do !!:p

Paul Pless
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Katherine,
If Bob & Mollie are paul's dogs ,then they,being good dogs,,,they would never tell you everthing they know about Paul...thats what good dogs do !!:p> http://woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

James McMullen
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Mine have pretty much got me well trained to row them to shore for a healthful and refreshing walk more often than I would on my own.

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/32715/2828618050088484686S600x600Q85.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2828618050088484686WmnaTU)