PDA

View Full Version : Well, THAT was too close for comfort!

Flying Orca
02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Oystagirl and I recently bought a house; we finished moving in at the end of January. The house is over a hundred years old, and located in an older part of the city, where houses were built closer together than would be allowed under modern fire codes.

Wednesday night (right after the second period of the hockey game ended, for those who were watching ;)), our next-door neighbour's house caught fire. No-one was hurt, but their house was essentially gutted, which is horrible for them. Our house was also damaged, though not too badly, when flames from their kitchen window damaged the side of our house where the services are connected - the worst problem was that our phone, electricity, water, and gas had to be shut off. It was an uncertain and uncomfortable night, to be sure.

Fortunately our gas, electricity, and water were back on by yesterday evening, and the phone should be reconnected this afternoon; the weather was mild, so our pipes didn't freeze. Our insurance should cover the fire damage and other expenses. I'm hoping we won't be out-of-pocket for the deductible, but if we are, I'm told we should be able to recover it from the insurance on the other property.

Fire's a scary thing when uncontrolled. We're feeling lucky, and will certainly take this as a wake-up call!

Dr.Spoke
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Glad you're OK and the neighbours weren't hurt.
Fire is scary!
We had some friends that lost their house - and of course everything in it to a fire. It takes a while for the insurance companies to get up to speed with the small stuff ( they were housed immediately), the kids didn't have any toys or clothes. Amazing how many people turned up with stuff for them, my eldest daughter ( about 8 at the time) put together a huge bag with toys and stuff for the kids... Including some of here favourite "cuddly" toys!
But the pictures, videos from the childrens births and that kind of stuff can never be replaced....

John of Phoenix
02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Mild Manitoba weather in Feb? Global warming for sure.

Glad things worked out for you.

TomF
02-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Lordy! That would have been terrifying - I'm very glad that your neighbours are healthy ... as are you. And that your own house wasn't seriously damaged.

Well do I remember when we were living in Edmonton, two blocks away a large house had just been framed but not yet closed in, on an in-fill lot. Two stories of 2X6 studs, roof trusses etc. went up in a horrific bonfire; I can still remember the sound it made.

So glad you guys are OK.

Captain Blight
02-26-2010, 02:12 PM
And, hey, now you get to have a bigger yard on that side of the house!

bobbys
02-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Im glad you were spared from damage.

I have read at least i think so that this is your first house.

Please have someone check your gas line, They do it for free and your Electrical service also for free...

Many times i have smelled gas while giving estimates and alerted the owners.

Here at least the pipes rust.

I check with a spray bottle with soap , Spray it on and see if theres bubbles..

Flying Orca
02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks for your comments, guys... this community means a lot to me!

And, hey, now you get to have a bigger yard on that side of the house!

Sadly, no... we get to have a derelict house on that side. :( At least until it's fixed or the lot is sold and redeveloped; we have an active neighbourhood association that builds infill housing. Fillings prevent decay! ;)

I have read at least i think so that this is your first house.

Well, kinda. It's my first detached (I've owned a condo); Oystagirl co-owned a big old heritage Queen Anne for fifteen-plus years.

Please have someone check your gas line, They do it for free and your Electrical service also for free.

It's not free here, but since the fire we've had the hydro (electricity) company out to cut the service, the electrician out to repair it, the inspector out to inspect the repairs, and the hydro company out to restore the service after the repairs were approved... then we've had the fire dept. shut off the gas, the gas company (which, confusingly, is also the hydro company, but a different department entirely) to turn the service back on, the furnace company to relight the furnace (yes, really, it's required by the insurance company)... and the phone company is pending.

And they all charge, but the insurance company is paying for it. No wonder I pay what I pay for insurance.

But everyone's OK, we're back in our house, and all is relatively well. I even got an apology and a promise to check into what went wrong when I called to let the fire department know that their communication with us (basically non-existent) could have been better! (Not to knock the job they did otherwise, which was stellar.)

So we're counting our blessings, watching our hockey, and drinking our beer. W00T! :D

The Bigfella
02-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Sheesh.... watch out for yourselves over there will you? Take care.