PDA

View Full Version : Bottom on Maryland Crabbing Skiff.

jwel14
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Am building a model of the 2 masted Maryland Crabbing Skiff. It's the lines drawing from Chapelle. Was the bottom a Herringbone with a log forefoot. Or were they fore and aft plank? A good example on the internet is the boat, Cinnamon Girl.
Thanks!

Thad Van Gilder
02-24-2010, 01:49 PM
all Maryland boats I have seen are herringbone.

-Thad

jwel14
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks, Thad. So the forefoot would also be a Herringbone fashion? Or. it would it have a wood chunk or log. To transistion from a v pattern, to a vertical one at the bow? Am building different models to help on decideing what would be a good boat for when I can build full size.

Thad Van Gilder
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I built a smith Island crab skiff years back, and I recall straight crossplanking for the forward half of the bottom transitioning to herringbone at middships to the transom.

-Thad

Michael D. Storey
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Suggest Calvert Maritime Museum in Solomons Isle. They, like the Chesapeake MM, have fine examples in various states of preservation and exposure that will show you first hand. Always a good trip, both of 'em.

johnw
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks, Thad. So the forefoot would also be a Herringbone fashion? Or. it would it have a wood chunk or log. To transistion from a v pattern, to a vertical one at the bow? Am building different models to help on decideing what would be a good boat for when I can build full size.
According to Chapelle, it depended on the deadrise at the bow.