PDA

View Full Version : Floor removal

Katherine
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
In the interest of actually progressing our house remodel, I started ripping up the flooring surfaces that we are replacing. When the house was built, the owner put wood parquet (sp?) in the dining room, vinyl in the kitchen, and tile in the main entry and hallway. All together this is about 800 square ft. Each flooring was a different thickness so he put down different thicknesses of underlayment to even out the surfaces. This past weekend I managed to tear out about 150sq ft of tile and underlayment, but it was pretty back breaking and that was only about 1/3 ot the tiled area. I also managed to coat everything in the house in dust when I took the circular saw, put a cut off blade on it, and cut the tile/underlayment into strips to tear up. Is there an easier, less dusty way to get these floors up?

Popeye
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
oh lordy

Jim Ledger
02-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Easier, yeah, get Paul to do it.

Less dusty? Sure, just wet him down.

Phillip Allen
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM
break the tile, don't cut it...still dusty but less so...wear goggles

Mrleft8
02-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Rent a tile remover..... It's like a wide cold chisel on a long stick with an air comprssor fitting on it. Hook that up to your compressor and go at it. You'll be done in no time flat. A lot less dusty too, But it's still a messy job.

Jim Ledger
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Wait, hold on...you cut the tiles with a saw to get them up?:eek:

No wonder it was dusty. I've got a five foot wrecking bar that does a pretty decent job of separating one layer from another. You can borrow it if you like.

Popeye
02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
this will help a bit ..

http://www.natures-broom.com/images/products/NBsweepingcompound.jpg

last time i did really dusty work , i first put plastic sheet and edging tape over the doorway to at least confine it to one room

Paul Pless
02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
oh lordy

No ****

Katherine
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
I've been doing the wrecking bar thing too. Thing is the tile job was crappy, but they were well stuck down. The tiles are also a pretty thick terra cotta. Our air compressor isn't big enough to power that tile scrapper tool.

Michael D. Storey
02-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Underlayment is (was) often tacked down with rig nails, which when visited by a little water or dampness from the cellar, like to stay where they are. I have had success slicing it into pieces and using a 5-foot bar, for more leverage. I regret that i can suggest no shortcuts, or easy methods. That get underneath and pry business is the way that works. 150 square a day is good work.

Katherine
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I suppose I should mention that the former owner was a little nail happy. Why use one when 20 would do.:rolleyes:

John of Phoenix
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Get a two pound sledge and call it therapy. (Goggles are a must.)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Summer before last I had 250 sq. ft. of ceramic tile to lift fromn the concrete base - weapon of choice was a bolster chisel and a two pound lump hammer.

What is this "Underlayment"?

Iceboy
02-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Perhaps one of those shingle removal shovels would help. Notched for nail removal and all.

huisjen
02-22-2010, 01:34 PM
This is a job best done in May or June, on a nice day, with all doors and windows open and a big fan blowing.

Dan

Bruce Hooke
02-22-2010, 01:34 PM
PLEASE note that in certain time periods asbestos was often part of "linoleum" and similar types of flooring. So, before ripping up that sort of flooring you should have a small sample tested. If it comes back positive the easiest solution is often to put new flooring down over the old flooring. This should, of course, not be an issue with clay tiles or wood flooring but the vinyl (if it is older) could be and there is also the matter of what all this stuff was laid on top of. I can't remember the details of your house and I can't remember when asbestos stopped being used for this sort of stuff. I think it was in the 70's.

Popeye
02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
men will do anything for free beer

we are like trained dogs really

Katherine
02-22-2010, 01:41 PM
The undelayment is plywood. The house was built in 1978.

willmarsh3
02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I ripped up flooring - 2 layers of linoleum and 2 layers of press board - about 200 sq ft to get to hardwood around 2003. It was definitely no fun and it took several days.

switters
02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Paul is my hero.

katey
02-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I got a big prybar (maybe six feet long) and jammed it under the edge of the underlayment without bothering to take the tiles up first. Then pry and try to get the edge of the sheet to lift so you can get the pry bar further under. It's heavy, but a lot less dusty and a lot less crawling around on the floor.

Popeye
02-22-2010, 02:35 PM
the first thing you need to do when renovating an old house is to go buy a new one

TomF
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I've used sledge, pry bar, and a regular garden spade (though I suppse a notched spade for shingle removal might work better). It is dusty as hell, but once you've got the lip of the shovel under an edge of the tile, it will pop up with enough persuasion. Same will work on the lino sections.

You might find your best time-return is working the shovel under an edge of the underlayment and prying it off - will absolutely break the mortar bond holding down your ceramic tile, and will also be a sure-thing to getting all the layers of the lino up, rather than having the stuff leave the bottom half of the tile glued down in some places.

What are you going to put down as the new floor?

Ugly, nasty work. I second the idea of windows wide open, fan blowing, and much cold beer at the end of the day.

hokiefan
02-22-2010, 04:02 PM
I've used sledge, pry bar, and a regular garden spade (though I suppse a notched spade for shingle removal might work better). It is dusty as hell, but once you've got the lip of the shovel under an edge of the tile, it will pop up with enough persuasion. Same will work on the lino sections.

You might find your best time-return is working the shovel under an edge of the underlayment and prying it off - will absolutely break the mortar bond holding down your ceramic tile, and will also be a sure-thing to getting all the layers of the lino up, rather than having the stuff leave the bottom half of the tile glued down in some places.

What are you going to put down as the new floor?

Ugly, nasty work. I second the idea of windows wide open, fan blowing, and much cold beer at the end of the day.

Probably also calls for Vitamin I.

Best of luck Katherine. Be sure to save some for Paul.

Cheers,

Bobby

Michael D. Storey
02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Suggest it is important to note that you do not old an old house, an old house owns you. Also, a house built in 1978 is not old. Some of us had been out of high school for over a decade by then.

The Bigfella
02-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Asbestos was still around in the early 80's. If you've got late 70's vinyl, you've probably got asbestos.

Please think about this one.

When I was still working for Armstrong, the recommended removal technique was to wet it and scrape it if it is on a concrete floor... or leave it on the underlay if possible. Don't cut it with a power saw. Use a Stanley knife if you have to cut it.

Katherine
02-22-2010, 05:18 PM
I can get a pry bar under the tile's underlayment. I was cutting things up in strips because it is such a big area to rip up. I'm not strong enough to lift an entire 8x4' piece of plywood with mortar and tile attached. I may invest in a bigger pry bar like Katey suggested as well as Tom's suggestion of the spade.

Paul Pless
02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
If you've got late 70's vinyl, you've probably got asbestos. she's not cutting vinyl, she's cutting 12x12 glazed ceramic tiles

Mrleft8
02-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Our air compressor isn't big enough to power that tile scrapper tool.

Yes it is. Unless it's one of those ones you plug into the cigarette lighter on your car, to inflate a flat tire. They don't require much air.
And why isn't Slim doing this? He's the unemployed linebacker looking guy.....

Katherine
02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
And why isn't Slim doing this? He's the unemployed linebacker looking guy.....Because he's working.:rolleyes: He spends about 10 days a month at the kennel and works via computer when he's home.

chas
02-22-2010, 06:50 PM
"I can get a pry bar under the tile's underlayment. "

That's the approach. Get an edge high enough that you can work an 8' 2x4 (or two) under the tile encrusted sheet. Use blocking and leverage to lift the sheet up along the long edge. The tiles that don't pop off may be loosened by a judicious tap with the proper sized persuader from the underside of the sheet. Count your blessings that few builders used construction adhesive under plywood in 1978.

Remember to refasten your sub-floor before the new flooring is installed. Good luck / Jim

C. Ross
02-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Power scraper's only way to go.
A long-handled sidewalk ice scraper is pretty handy tool for what you're doing, too.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31IIBSM1IhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

jack grebe
02-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Come on Paul, help out a little here..............

I do remember Katherine likes the tractor....and can
be a little destructive with it:rolleyes::D

Dan McCosh
02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking a rental jackhammer......

oznabrag
02-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I can get a pry bar under the tile's underlayment. I was cutting things up in strips because it is such a big area to rip up. I'm not strong enough to lift an entire 8x4' piece of plywood with mortar and tile attached. I may invest in a bigger pry bar like Katey suggested as well as Tom's suggestion of the spade.

Thass yer ticket raht there!

Get two bars. One opens for the other, and you just leapfrog from there.

If you can get a 2X4 with a fulcrum to work (cut a point on one end?), it's a lot lighter than a steel bar, and won't wear you down so fast.

S B
02-22-2010, 11:27 PM
When renovating, keep one thought in mind, every blow of the hammer the job gets bigger. I was told that as a boy and have proven it many times.

Fitz
02-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Asbestos may also be found in 12 x12 tiles from 1978.

http://www.asbestosresource.com/asbestos/tile.html

Katherine
02-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Will one of those floor scrapper machicine get under the underlayment and rip it up to? So far, besides weight, the problem getting under the plywood underlayment is the nail happy former owner.:rolleyes:

oznabrag
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Will one of those floor scrapper machicine get under the underlayment and rip it up to? So far, besides weight, the problem getting under the plywood underlayment is the nail happy former owner.:rolleyes:

Like I said: Gitcherself a coupla 5-foot bars. Those pore li'l nails ain' got a chance! :D

Michael D. Storey
02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
It is pry bar work. You may consider taking up layers. On the laminate, sometimes when you inch the underlayment up a little and then let it go back, the nails (some) will stand proud and may be clawhammered out, easing the pain, as it were.

S/V Laura Ellen
02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
And you didn't call? Why?

My offer still stands.

john welsford
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I've been doing the wrecking bar thing too. Thing is the tile job was crappy, but they were well stuck down. The tiles are also a pretty thick terra cotta. Our air compressor isn't big enough to power that tile scrapper tool.

Hire one for the day, whoever hires the tile remover should have a suitable compressor.

JohnW

Paul Pless
02-24-2010, 07:31 AM
And you didn't call? Why?

My offer still stands.Hurry Kat.... call him before I get back to Michigan.:D

paladin
02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Somewhere in the lockup I have a half dozen or so 300 round .22 long rifle magazines and an American 180 .22 carbine....it has a buzz saw function selector on it to operate at 1200 rpm......it should take up the tile in short time....

huisjen
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Chuck, the lead will just make it all heavier.

Dan

paladin
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Naw...just go through to the ground.....oops...contaminate ground water....

Katherine
02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Hurry Kat.... call him before I get back to Michigan.:DAmazing, he assumes I want him back.:rolleyes: