PDA

View Full Version : Folkboat: Too good to be true?

isla
02-22-2010, 06:55 AM
I spotted this little beauty yesterday. The mast and sails alone must be worth close to the asking price if they are in half decent condition. Even if she requires considerable work I would be very tempted to take her on as a project. Any thoughts anybody?

Full details here:
http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=133545

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/image_bin/133545_1.jpg

floatingkiwi
02-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Personally, it would take a bit more than the weather for me to want to sell something as close to as good as he claims.

Roger Long
02-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Worth checking out. She looks cared for and these deals do come along every once in a while. A friend of mine just missed out on buying a beautiful Contessa in ready to launch condition for $1500. Boats take so long to sell that people don't want to deal with it. In this case, the house had been sold and he just had to get it out of the yard.

OTOH, she could be in perfect condition except for a pocket of rot in the keel under the mast step.

chuckt
02-22-2010, 08:03 AM
I bet you already figured out where you will get the money, started thinking about how to move her, where to put her, and imagine yourself sailing her this spring.

Hwyl
02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
They're famous for breaking their frames at the convex turn (from inboard). Expect at least a few broken and sistered. The price is about right, the current owners veracity has to be doubted when he claims she's fast.

Clearly a survey would be silly at that price point.

isla
02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
I bet you already figured out where you will get the money, started thinking about how to move her, where to put her, and imagine yourself sailing her this spring.

I wish I could figure out where to get the money from :D

I think I will probably have to give this one a miss. Simply because I am not geared up for it. I have just started building an 18 footer, so unless I abandon that project I really have nowhere to put another boat. Still, I thought she was worth bringing to folk's attention, somebody else from my side of the pond might be interested.

RFNK
02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Looks like a bargain to me! Folkboats are actually quite fast for their size although `very fast' seems a bit exaggerated! Rick

mariner2k
02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
I used to have a Kings Cruiser, a swedish folkboat. It was 28' but looks as if it could fit inside this one. Great single hander. Handled like a sportscar compared to the large cruisers. I do miss it.