PDA

View Full Version : 1st decent day/boatbuilding

chuckm
02-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I think it touch 70 degree's this afternoon, I did'nt feel to much like a lizard and resumed some work. Well at least two steps foward and 1 and 1/12 back. Drilling holes thru floors, burning up cheapie drill's. Oak. Neighbor let me use is old school Milwakee drill. He said if you burn it up, well, he did'nt think it possible short of breaking your wrist. And this was baby of bertha, as he called his real drill. Anyway it was all rusted thru and took some time to "tool up" as it had'nt been used in years. That's the beauty of old school american tools, they work, even if abused by weather and rust. Yea I could buy the real deal I quess, but dropping 200$ bucks when I need silicone brass rod or at least some tobin or aluminum nichol brass at 15-22 $ a foot. so continue to beg borrow and steal. Oh yea, don't use use the spade bits, the real ship auger stay's true-er in its' bore. I had to learn that one, thanks for telling me guy's. And let me restate what a fellow builder stated, Constantly bring the AUGER UP, to CLEAR AWAY shavings, are you will GETSTUCK; and that is pure panic when you use the pry bar with cheater stick to remove bit. Oh it was a great day.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0dc01b3127ccef93c035917f200000030O08QcMnDZwzcA9 vPhA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

skuthorp
02-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Same here, still humid but the heat is gone for a while. I have 6 of those aughers but mine are the hand driven type, pierced for a T bar. Old stuff used by fencers piercing split hardwood posts. I have made an attatchment for a power drive but, apart from some fence posts, haven't had a need to use it yet. I don't think I have a drill powerful enough to drive it through really thick timber, say for keel bolts etc.

Concordia...41
02-21-2010, 03:27 PM
I love your enthusiasm. Keep the updates coming!

- M