PDA

View Full Version : movies not in current release you'd want?

seafox
02-19-2010, 10:18 PM
hows this for a business idea

get s sydicat togeher to publish movies not currently out on DVD. ( grin)
how about a list of movies you'd like to have

the first movie is " something for a lonely man " dan blocker western never on home vidio
another one I wish I could get was " the master builders" a 1993 BBC documentry on the cathredrals
I'd also like to see the extended version of "born in east LA " has about 8 extra minutes that tells a much more complete story ( 93 insteed of 85 IIRC)

thankyou for you nominations
jeff

bamamick
02-20-2010, 08:55 AM
'alfred the great' with David Hemmings. I have waited for this movie to be printed for years. I am wondering if there is a surviving copy.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
02-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Oh yeah, I'd also like the 1987 America's Cup on dvd. Greatest series of my lifetime, easily. I have a film copy but no dvd has ever been made.

Mickey Lake

John Smith
02-20-2010, 09:22 AM
There are two movies I'd really like to be able to get on DVD.

"Go Man Go" was about the origin of the Harlem Globetrotters.

I don't recall the name of the other, but it stared Joe E. Brown as a baseball player who lost the ball in a mud puddle while the runners kept advancing.

ishmael
02-20-2010, 09:26 AM
..Hm, less see. I don't know if these are on DVD or not.

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." Liz Taylor, Burl Ives, et al, based on Tennesee Williams. Damn fine writing, as you might imagine, and a firey young Elizibeth.

"Lonely are the Brave." Kirk Douglas, Walter Mathau et al. Simply the best man on the run film ever made. Set in a fading Western US frontier. That one's on VHS.

"Some Like it Hot" Had to throw in a comedy. Every time I've watched it it's had me in stitches.

The list is a lot longer, but those three spring to mind. Just about anything by Hitchcock, though he'd lost his touch by the time of his last few. A film professor in college was fond of saying that Hitch knew how to bake a cake, but was especially good at the icing.

Thinking on this brought to mind a couple of theatres I used to frequent. As a kid there was the Berea Theatre, and when I lived in Baltimore, The Senator. Big, full screen theatres, with lobbies, the whole deal. I don't go to movies out much anymore, in part because I don't like to feel like I'm watching on a airplane. When the screen lit up at The Senator you knew you were out for an evening. At premiers, or special events, the owner wore a tux and introduced the film. I'll never forget the restored "Lawrence of Arabia." When O'Toole dons his snow white kaftan and dances with a dagger on a big screen, it's magic. Magic not translatable to the toob.

Michael D. Storey
02-20-2010, 10:13 PM
The Senator still lives Cinemascope and dolby. Talk about a marriage made in Baltimore.
I have been in the old Berea. Like the RKO in Rochester, New York. Funny what sticks.

ishmael
02-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Hi Michael.

The Senator is special. The owner a bit crazy but special too, because he keeps that big screen running. If you are watching some film on toob you aren't really watching it.

Another fond memory is a rescreening of a restored "Citizen Kane." You can't watch that on a small screen. Not and get it. I'm glad to hear The Senator is still kicking.

Michael D. Storey
02-20-2010, 11:19 PM
I saw The Right Stuff there. Glamorous Glennis really went into one ear and out of the other. The effect was thrilling.

seafox
02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Lonely are the brave was the only ( so far) Edward Abbey book to be made into a film. the book is "the brave cowboy."

woody haroldson ( of cheers and natural born killers fame ) evidently optioned Abbeys biggest book " the monkey wrench gang" utahs biggest talk show host , Doug Wright has a movie show on fridays and was greatly torn love for the book and wants to see a good movie made of it and hates woody haroldson. but the project has been hanging fire for most of a decade now
personally I would like to make the movie black Sun... it was a Abbeys favorite book and I just relised that I could star in it with my half white beard and advanced years.