PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Sportscasters? (Olympic GS)

Garret
02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
OK - Bodie Miller got a silver. Good for him. However, the "unknown" in 3rd place Andrew Weibrecht was 0.03 seconds behind him.

The sportscasters were all about interviewing Bodie & ignored Andrew.

If they crossed the finish line doing 60mph (on a ~1.25 mile long course?), Andrew was 31.68 inches behind Bodie. IOW - less than 1 yard.

Sheesh. It's all about the medal count, isn't it?

George Jung
02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
No - they're all about name recognition. You're not watching this for it's intellectual content, are ya?

Garret
02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
No - they're all about name recognition. You're not watching this for it's intellectual content, are ya?

Yeah - it's all about the intellectual... ;)

Just switched back to the Canadian network (I'm close enough to the border where we get Canadian stations). Lot's more betterer... 'course watching a Canadian win the skeleton on Canadian TV - they weren't going nuts or anything. Still better coverage - they even had an "up close & personal" - or whatever it's called nowadays - with an American athlete.

Nicholas Carey
02-20-2010, 01:19 PM
OK - Bodie Miller got a silver. Good for him. However, the "unknown" in 3rd place Andrew Weibrecht was 0.03 seconds behind him.

The sportscasters were all about interviewing Bodie & ignored Andrew.

If they crossed the finish line doing 60mph (on a ~1.25 mile long course?), Andrew was 31.68 inches behind Bodie. IOW - less than 1 yard.

Sheesh. It's all about the medal count, isn't it?3/100ths of a second is random variance in reaction time at the sound of the starting gun...just meaningless noise in sample size of 1.

OTOH, if they ran several consecutive heats against each other and one guy was consistently a wee bit faster than the other, you might have something.

L.W. Baxter
02-20-2010, 01:32 PM
3/100ths of a second is random variance in reaction time at the sound of the starting gun...just meaningless noise in sample size of 1.

OTOH, if they ran several consecutive heats against each other and one guy was consistently a wee bit faster than the other, you might have something.

First, skiing starts don't work that way. They get a span of time to leave the gate, and the clock starts when they break the plane of the sensor.

Second, Bodie has done exactly what you ask in terms of consecutive heats, insofar as he has consistently outskied Weibrecht. Bodie is the most decorated American skier ever, both in Olympic and World Cup competition. Weibrecht had a good run but he is not in the same class as Miller.

I bet the reporters there did interview Weibrecht also, but the broadcast schedule with so many events to cover is very tight. It would have been odd if the network chose Weibrecht over Miller to fill a limited interview space.

And speaking of interviews, Evan Lysachek gave a great interview with Bob Costas yesterday, regarding Pluschenko's criticism of the judging, and Evan's lack of a quad. Evan is one of the most gracious and sportsmanlike athletes I have ever seen.

George Jung
02-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Kinda nice, isn't it? From what I've heard (canned info), he's smart, and one of the hardest workers on ice.

Garret
02-20-2010, 02:37 PM
I bet the reporters there did interview Weibrecht also, but the broadcast schedule with so many events to cover is very tight. It would have been odd if the network chose Weibrecht over Miller to fill a limited interview space.

Not saying they shoulda ignored Bodie - as he did beat Andrew, just saying that Andrew shoulda gotten at least a bit of attention for his achievement - especially with it being that close.