PDA

View Full Version : Bronze capstan

asger
02-19-2010, 01:56 AM
hello Forum.

Please forgive a newcomer! I didn`t realize, that I locked the thread, sorry.
To clear up, who and where I am, here`s some details:
I`ve been into woodenboats in Denmark for the last 25 years, taking part in my first restoration, when I was 16. Went out sailing as a deckhand in charterschooners, when I was 20 and took my mates certificate, some years later.
Employed as a teacher on a highschool for disadvantages kids, I restored a 44 feet, danish fishcarrier from 1904 as a part of the trainingprogramme. In 2002 I started out on the " Caroline" project, a replica-build of Denmarks first large leasureyacht from 1866. She`s very much like the english eastcoast smack, 40 feet in the deck, 11 feet beam and a draught aft of 6 feet. Oak on oak and fastened with blacklocust trunnels and copperriveted. Unfortunately, due to the triviallities of childrearing and housebuilding, I`ve only managed to almost finishing to set up the ribs and look forward to start planking this summer.
Hope to find out, how to put some pictures of the project out to the forum!

Anyway. Please look at my earlier thread " bronzewrench".

Yours
Asger

Gold Rock
02-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Hey Asger. Firstly, let me correct your English a bit. You seem to be using the word "wrench" when the word "winch" would be closer to correct. The photo you link to is very small, but appears to be what we 'Mericans would call a vertical capstan "windlass". In any event, I've never seen one like it, but surely it can be disassembled. If there isn't some kind of retaining ring at the top allowing removal of a cover of some sort, perhaps there are through fastening which can be accessed under the deck?

Dale Genther
02-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Hi, I have no info. to offer on the winch. But I do have a question on the boat it came from. You said it was a S&S design named Minots Light. I think I remember seeing Minots Light about 10 years ago in a shed at Cutts & Case Boatyard in Oxford, MD. It that the same boat? And if so how did you end up with a winch off of her?

Breakaway
02-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Minots Light is an Alden stock design, so it probably came from another boat built to the plans. (http://www.aldendesigns.com/ketch-full-keel/d0879.html)

Dale Genther
02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Breakaway - That is interesting. The design you provided the link to is a steel boat. The Minotes Light I saw was wood.

Breakaway
02-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Just saying that its more likely than any one boat suddenly appearing in Denmark-- but who knows. THIS GUY (http://www.oceancruisingclub.org/content/view/1761/143/) claims to have owned a Minots Light and goes on to say that 22 were built in FRP.

Sorry for the hijack.