PDA

View Full Version : A thought for the day...

paladin
02-18-2010, 03:41 PM
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse. ... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill

TimH
02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=paladin;2495803A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill[/QUOTE]

So attacking Iraq is justified even though the only real reason for the war was to topple Sadaam because he threatened Bush the elder?

John of Phoenix
02-18-2010, 04:01 PM
No, Iraq is not the point, though I can see why some might think so. Read again and emphasize the NOTHINGs.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free...

I read it as, "Set your priorities, define your something, and pick your battles accordingly."

StevenBauer
02-18-2010, 05:00 PM
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin

TimH
02-18-2010, 05:05 PM
No, Iraq is not the point, though I can see why some might think so. Read again and emphasize the NOTHINGs.

I read it as, "Set your priorities, define your something, and pick your battles accordingly."

Well, like Don Quixote, I am always fighting something that nobody but me seems to understand :D

I guess this doesnt apply to me.

John of Phoenix
02-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Here Sire, let me hold your lance. :)

paladin
02-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Same heroes?

seafox
02-19-2010, 07:26 AM
saddam and Iraq invaded kuaite we kicked them out and they agreed to an armitist. they were failing to fufill their end of the agreement thy were targeting our planes they were refusing to coopperate with insepections and so we did not go to war for no reason. their were reasons plenty and if we had not resumed active operations when we did it would have been starting active operation in the middle of summer insteed of the cooler spring time.

thankyou paladin for the quote of the day