PDA

View Full Version : Wood and Mill Sources NYC Area

gmckonly
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I've just moved to New York City after being in the Philadelphia area for 20 years and am looking to build up a list of local wood suppliers and saw mills in the area. I regularly use Condons but would like to know about anything else around anyone has experience with as well as any small saw mills that people have used. Thanks a lot for any potential help.

Geoff

Breakaway
02-18-2010, 12:58 PM
This place is good, though pricey. Carries Okoume, Merant, etc. Also dimensional lumber and some rough logs of things like White Oak, Teak, etc. About a 50-minute drive from he city.

http://robertsplywood.com/

Dusty Yevsky
02-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I've been to this place a few times. A one man band. All rough KD lumber that he cuts himself. Good prices, sometimes he has what you want, sometimes not and you won't know until you go. Located in an obscure but pretty corner of NJ so I never minded the drive out.

http://eastcoastlog.com/

Bob Triggs
02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Wooden Boat Magazine just ran an article on Duke Besozzi of Cornwall Connecticut New England Naval Timbers (northwest Ct 1.5 hours north of NYC up route 7 from Danbury Ct via route 684).

Also look up ML Condon Lumber Co in White Plains NY, about 45 Min north of NYC on Hutchinson River Pkwy or Saw Mill Pkwy to Route 287

Roger Cumming
02-18-2010, 10:52 PM
I have purchased small quantities of Honduras mahogany at Dyke's Lumber on West 44th Street in Manhattan. They let me pick the boards. It was expensive but, for small quantities, pretty convenient. You could take the subway if you only needed a few short boards. Dykes main yard is in Weehawken, NJ, right across the river via the Lincoln tunnel.

johngsandusky
02-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Suburban Mills in Huntington (LI) and Harned in Commack (LI). Harned mostly cuts hardwood. Suburban has a Woodmizer and gets trees from landscapers.

Jonathan Kabak
02-19-2010, 09:37 AM
It was great to see an article on Duke in WB. I had a great experience dealing with him when we needed white oak for projects on the Lettie G. Howard a few years back. Really cool outfit sort of in the middle of nowhere. Definitely a different part of CT then those of us on the coast see.

Jonathan

gmckonly
03-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks very much for all the info, greatly appreciated.

Geoff