PDA

View Full Version : stopping the leak...cotton, oakum or other??

tswaterman
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I have a fairly substantial leak on my 46' deadrise which I believe is coming in through the horn timber tie-in at the keel near the stern. I think I can stop the leak where my keel and cross planks meet but was looking for some good suggestions on what material to use or any other way the leak can be repaired...thanks...

Michael D. Storey
02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I had a similar experience, and also the opportunity to get her dry. I drilled into the offending area with a 5/16 bore, and punped it full of 5200. After a couple of tubes, I pounded a wooden dowel into the bore and sawed it off. Seems to still be okay. Not the cleverest, but it was effective.

peter radclyffe
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
sortedhttp://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

seo
02-16-2010, 11:43 PM
I think that a horntimber is fastened at one end to the sternpost (rudderpost) and at the other end to the framing for the counter.
The rudderpost attaches to the keel. So does the deadwood, if there is any.
If the boat has a transom instead of a counter, then the transom is fastened to the sternpost, and there is no horntimber or counter.
The "lead strips" that "Feazer" mentions in #4 are usually called "Tingles" in New England. They're pretty common in old, heavy, wood construction I've looked at, and they do work.