PDA

View Full Version : Planking repairs and painting

SunshineBridge
02-16-2010, 04:44 AM
I have a lot of planking repairs I'm about to undertake and I've been looking at the various postings and pics around here to get some tips.

So my question is do you paint the finished plank before fixing, or leave it bare and paint once fixed?

All the pictures I've seen show the planks fitted bare. Is this to enable water to swell the plank, or is it because it's easier? It seems to me better to paint the plank before fixing to extend its life. In terms of scale I'm talking 18ft x 8" planks in Western Red Cedar about 20 of them.

I'm going to be using International epoxy based primer, requiring about 4 coats.

All tips and sugestions gratefully received.

Peerie Maa
02-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I would certainly paint the faying surfaces of rebate and frames. You would get on quicker with the repairs if you leave priming the planking until it is all done. Do not use the primer on the caulking seams.

wizbang 13
02-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Boat probably will need fairing after planking , by sanding,planing or scraping.That is the reason one paints later. The epoxe primer is waterproof like epoxe resin and will slow down or even stop swelling. That is not nessessarily a bad thing, but something to consider. To pay (paint) the caulking seams depends on what your going to caulk it with.

Jay Greer
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Our standard proceedure is to plank the boat, fair and finish sand. Then we prime either with thin red lead or marine primer. This is then followed by caulking and paying the seams, more primer and finally an enamel finish.

Jay

bob winter
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I fail to see how painting the inside of the planking could be a bad thing. It would be a waste of time to paint the outside and bad to paint the edges.