PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon says algae to fuel program ready in months....

seanz
02-14-2010, 02:46 PM
......or years.
But it's nearly ready.
Honest.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/energy/news/article.cfm?c_id=37&objectid=10626164&pnum=0

Ms McQuiston said the projects, run by private firms SAIC and General Atomics, expected to yield 1000 gallons of oil per .4ha from the algal farm.

General Atomics......your Army guys have the craziest names.....

I haven't finished my 2nd coffee and when I do I've got firewood to stack.....so could someone play with those figures and tell me if half of the continental USA has to be covered in slime just to keep the Blue Angels flying?
TIA.
;):)

johnw
02-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Cool. Hope it works out, it could solve some big problems.

McQuiston? Now there's a name.

McMike
02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I brought this up a few months ago and was told it was impractical by a certain bilge oracle . . .

I think it's the bridge fuel we need until we can get better efficiencies out of photovoltaic and possibly a practical fusion solution.

johnw
02-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Global warming deniers like to claim every proposed solution is pie in the sky. I'm optimistic about us being able to solve technical problems.

PeterSibley
02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
There's always the Gulf of mexico ,shallow , luke warm ,a nice algal home .

PeterSibley
02-14-2010, 04:21 PM
I brought this up a few months ago and was told it was impractical by a certain bilge oracle . . .

I think it's the bridge fuel we need until we can get better efficiencies out of photovoltaic and possibly a practical fusion solution.

Well if you think about it as a biological solar collector ...

PeterSibley
02-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks for volunteering our back yard for the project. But I suspect better results would be obtained if we simply flooded interior OZ and let the swamp grow there.

You are welcome ...it's just that if the US military wants the stuff ,the continental US is a bit closer .:D

johnw
02-15-2010, 12:30 AM
I did a quick google around for the topic and found one algae oil forum where respondents are saying that it looks like an eager article and that we'll find out how real it is when they actually scale it up.
I'll bet it's more like years away. But maybe not that many.

johnw
02-15-2010, 12:31 AM

Why not a permanent part of the mix?

huisjen
02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Why do the authors stick with gallons instead of liters, but insist on using hectares instead of acres?

Dan

seafox
02-15-2010, 09:03 AM
because americans use english measurements while scientists use metric. see totally logically logical.

ah yup.

the hard part is figuring how big .4 ha guess thats 4000 square meters?

Keith Wilson
02-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Ms McQuiston said the projects . . expected to yield 1000 gallons of oil per .4ha from the algal farm. 0.4 hectares = 1 acre , so that's 1000 gallons per acre, but the crucial piece missing is how long it takes to get that 1000 gallons.

Rough calculations: The US uses about 7 billion barrels of oil/year, or about 300 billion gallons. If it takes a year to get 1000 gallons from an acre of algae, it would require 300 million acres, or about 1/3 of the total farmland currently under cultivation in the US. Of course, you don't need good farmland to grow algae, and if you can get more than 1000 gallons/year, you'd need less area. If it really works, it seems plausible as a significant fuel source, if not as a total replacement for oil.

jack grebe
02-15-2010, 12:52 PM
There's always the Gulf of mexico ,shallow , luke warm ,a nice algal home .
Oh yea, GREAT, next time a hurricane comes up through the
gulf, the southern states get slimed