PDA

View Full Version : childhood experiences

John Smith
02-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Just an aside as to how people can grow up in the same country and in a different place at the same time, not having anything to do with political views.

When I was a boy, I lived within a short walk of a marvelous sleigh riding park. It was on the side of a mountain and the slope was, I'd estimate, close to 200' in length.

My granddaughter did her first "sledding" yesterday using a boogie board from the pool, and the hill we made from what the plow had piled up and what shoveling the driveway apron added to that. Then she tried with limited success on our front yard hill with is very short, but among the steepest hills in our area.

We're still in the same state, but the area around us is quite flat. We have no place anywhere near us where the kids can go sledding.

Dan McCosh
02-13-2010, 09:05 AM
My wife grew up in north NJ, still talks about the sledding adventures as a kid. South NJ is a bit flatter. Might try a pair of skates.

John Smith
02-13-2010, 09:15 AM
My wife grew up in north NJ, still talks about the sledding adventures as a kid. South NJ is a bit flatter. Might try a pair of skates.

Might. I have great memories of sledding. Guess back then I assumed all kids went sledding.

Much like some kids grow up near water and others don't, so some come into boats young and others never see one.

StevenBauer
02-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Mountainside Park?

Steven

Saltiguy
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Times have changed. In our neighborhood there was a road with no houses - about a mile long, steep downhill, with a sweet "S" curve about halfway down. Perfect for sliding. The town would plow it and then bring in a sprinkler truck to water and ice it. It was perfect!
In his barn, a neighborhood farmer had a bobsled a big wooden thing that probably weighed 500 pounds or more. - they called it a "18 ripper", supposedly because it would seat 18 adults. Up front was a big steering wheel. I'll never forget the thrill of being allowed to ride that beast with the older kids. We probably had 20 kids (or more) on board with everyone holding on and the oldest kid driving. What a ride!. At the bottom, one of the fathers would hook the bobsled up to his car and pull us back up to the top for the next run.

bamamick
02-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Where I grew up we would get up early on Saturday mornings, pull a .22 rifle and a box of shorts from the gun case, grab an apple, and stay gone until nightfall. The guns were for shooting snakes. Or cans or bottles (yes, I cringed when I typed that). I am talking from about the time I was seven until I was 12 or so. Of course, that was only in the in-between times for football, basketball, and baseball seasons. During those times we were either practicing, playing, or in backyard pick-up games.

My kids, on the other hand, NEVER left my house without me knowing exactly where they were 100% of the time. They never played any sport unless it was 100% supervised and the odds were that either my wife or myself were there watching every single practice or game. Quite honestly, it is amazing that they can do anything at all for themselves. But they can. They are all productive young women of which I am immensely proud.

When my kids were small we took them to the Rockies a couple of times. I will remember them rolling in the snow at 12,000 feet for the rest of my life. The pure laughter of children is the true voice of God, imo.

Mickey Lake

John Smith
02-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Mountainside Park?

Steven
It was a park on the side of a mountain. A 5 minute walk from my home, and great for sledding, although sometimes very difficult to walk back up. Bottom of the hill was a road, which was blocked off to traffic, and the other side of the road was more park, but level.

Very top had a level spot for loading up, a really steep 10', then a nice incline for the better part of 200'.

One of our friends, as I type this, invited my granddaughter to go with them, as they drive to some good sledding area.

bobbys
02-13-2010, 01:06 PM
John when i was young we lived on a very steep hill.

In summer we skateboarded down with the boards with the old metal wheels.

In Winter they almost always closed our 2 streets if there was heavy snow.

People came from all over to ride down..

We always had Sleighs and toboggans ready to go....

Sometimes a cardboard box worked fine....

Hal Forsen
02-13-2010, 01:23 PM
When I was about 7 we moved to house on a corner. The street in front of the house was paved but the other street was still dirt and about a quarter mile up that road was a mink ranch.
Behind the house was a long drainage ditch with a great big patch of wild concord grapes that we made good use of.
The ice cream man drove a pony cart and you could hear the neighbors chickens every morning. The man who kept the chickens and a few ducks was a little Pilipino guy named Johnny, who for the princely sum of $1 would make you a truly beautiful kite, usually as big as you were tall.
Our grade school had a small paddock where various neighborhood animals were kept and when a sheep or goat was giving birth they'd get all the kids out of class and have them gather 'round for a life lesson.
That house is still in Carson CA.....
Now just one more hood rat infested Los Angeles suburb......

Dan McCosh
02-13-2010, 01:44 PM
There was a good reason the road my wife grew up was named Toboggan Trail.

BarnacleGrim
02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Ishmael post in 3...2...1...

Spin_Drift
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Going fishing with Pappa (Grandpa) on the Finnish archipelago. I was between 8-12 years old. We did this for years... We'd get up at 4-5 am and take an ore-boat with a motor. I'd sit on the back and let a long amount of line into the water from a little flat spool. I kept the line against my pointer finger and feel the action of the line. It was always a thrill to get a fish on line.

Planting trees with my parents. After the tree was planted, I was hoisted up by my parents and helped to "jump" over the trees.

When I got back to the farm ten years ago, and we were looking at all the tall trees, I told about that childhood experience to my husband. The trees were between 40 to 60 feet tall then...
:p