PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Varnish

David G
02-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Well, I've sprayed a lot of things in my career. And I've brushed on a lot of varnish. But I've never sprayed Spar Varnish - until yesterday.

I've always shied away from it for some reason. Working on a rather intricate panel with carvings and mouldings. Got tired of brushing my old standby - Interlux #96. So I call the Interlux tech folks and ask exactly what's required. Turned out to be so easy, I'm sorry I didn't add it to my repertoire long ago. Binks 2001 with a siphon cup. Right sized needle, pressure at 50 - 60 pounds, and product thinned 20%. I was able to lay it on heavier than I was comfortable laying down with a brush, and it looked lovely this morning. Nice and even - with no runs or sags, and a fat build!

If you haven't tried it, you might want to give it a shot.

CharlieCobra
02-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm thinking of doing Oh Joy's house sides with spray since it's off the boat.

Jay Greer
02-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Works for me too it I don't have to be involved in intricate masking.
Jay

kc8pql
02-14-2010, 12:38 PM
I always spray unless it will take longer to clean the gun than it will to actually spray the finish. That means I brush quite a bit, and as Jay says, masking time enters into it too.

jgerber
02-16-2010, 10:10 AM
what number air cap and needle did you use?

JG

David G
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
what number air cap and needle did you use?

JG

I'd have to look, but it was whatever came stock in the Binks 2001. The Interlux folks gave me the specs, and I mentioned I was thinking of using the Binks, and they said - unless I'd changed something from the factory setup - the stock combo would probably work just fine. It did. A quick call to Interlux will get you a detailed consult on what - of your existing equipment - might work.

Bill Huson
02-17-2010, 11:12 AM
The hot lick set up for spraying varnish on racing hydroplane hulls was a "hot pot." Rather than thinning, the varnish was heated in the hot pot and sprayed. The toasty warm varnish flowed out to a glass-like finish and then - since it cooled quickly - stayed that way with no runs or sags.

Caveat: I have never hot pot sprayed varnish. Like many others I just muddle along with a brush. Brushing is a peaceful task.