PDA

View Full Version : Snow in 49 States

jimkeen
02-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Just heard on the local news that 49 states have snow on the ground today. I believe this is a first.

The Bigfella
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Damn that global warming.

Dave Gray
02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
I have daffodils blooming in the back yard, highs have been in the mid fifties all week. Eastern Oregon might have different weather, but then, it always does.

Glen Longino
02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
11+ inches in Dallas yesterday!
Don't make me move to Vera Cruz!

SMARTINSEN
02-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Which state is the odd one out? FL?

Afew years ago, we were on top of Mauna Kea in a raging snow storm. A total white out. The locals from Hilo were all up and down the mountain with their pick up bodies filled with snow. They were bringing it back to town to ice down their beers I suppose.

capt jake
02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I have daffodils blooming in the back yard, highs have been in the mid fifties all week. Eastern Oregon might have different weather, but then, it always does.

Crocus blooming here and the tulips are up. Elderberry is leafing out.

Glen Longino
02-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Which state is the odd one out? FL?

Afew years ago, we were on top of Mauna Kea in a raging snow storm. A total white out. The locals from Hilo were all up and down the mountain with their pick up bodies filled with snow. They were bringing it back to town to ice down their beers I suppose.

I heard snow was expected in Pensacola.

Steve Paskey
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
The funny thing about this story is that there are two different and conflicting versions of it. According to the AP, there's snow on the ground in every state except Hawaii. According to the Christian Science Monitor, there's snow on the ground in every state except Florida. The CSM says that there's snow on some mountains in Hawaii; the AP says that there isn't. The AP says that snow fell and stuck in Florida; the CSM says that hasn't yet happened.

Paul Girouard
02-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Same way up here Jake. I heard the Tulip Festival projects the best blooming will be done before the Festival starts this season.

SMARTINSEN
02-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Lets send it to Vancouver.

Paul Girouard
02-12-2010, 11:06 PM
I thought President Obama said there was 57 state:confused:

:D

Pugwash
02-12-2010, 11:15 PM
I thought President Obama said there was 57 state:confused:

I think what he said was " Paul Girouard is an a$$hole"

I may have been mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

Paul Girouard
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM

Heeheheh ! Could be Pudgie , could be :D

Paul Girouard
02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Humm, I checked the u-tube video and no, he didn't mention me, but he did say he'd visited 57 states and had one to go. He sure has expanded the USA borders. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Glen Longino
02-12-2010, 11:26 PM

No, you're not mistaken, Pug!
I'm sure he said Paul is an a$$hole!:)
But I'm equally sure he said others of us are also a$$holes!
That includes you, but not me, of course!;)

Nanoose
02-12-2010, 11:31 PM
ok....which is the lone state not in the cold?

Pugwash
02-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Heeheheh ! Could be Puggie , could be :D

There's no "could be" about it, I'm pretty sure you were mentioned in a Presidential speech or something, you can Google it if you want to...

:)

Paul Girouard
02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
There's no "could be" about it, I'm pretty sure you were mentioned in a Presidential speech or something, you can Google it if you want to...

:)

Maybe your post #12 eh! You're a clever one Pudgie;)

Paul Girouard
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Try this one ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo0WlSvrIY&feature=related

Pugwash
02-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Try this one ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo0WlSvrIY&feature=related

Erm,Ok.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1iCI7nIIE

Glen Longino
02-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Is Saudi Arabia a state?

Robert L.
02-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Well as I sit in my motel room here in Boise it is 47 degF outside.
In Orlando where my family is it is 45.
At home in Hansville it is 49.

Steve Paskey
02-13-2010, 08:27 PM
ok....which is the lone state not in the cold?

Hawaii. From the AP:

Hawaii's 13,800-foot Mauna Kea volcano, which often gets snow much of the year at its higher elevations, is the most likely place in the 50th state to have snow, but there "is nothing right now," said research meteorologist Tiziana Cherubini at the Mauna Kea Weather Center. It has been a few weeks since there has been snow in the mountains, and none is in the forecast, ruining a perfect 50-for-50, she said.

ishmael
02-14-2010, 08:54 AM
One problem here is politicians misrepresenting the science. Just a year or so ago, US pols in favor of changing our behavior to obviate AGW were pointing to smaller snow amounts during the winter as conclusive proof of how immediate action was necessary, and now the anti-AGW crowd are using increased snow falls for just one winter in the same fatuous way to say AGW is baloney.

Whether out of ignorance, political ambition, or both they conflate weather with climate. While certainly related, a few years of warmer or colder weather does not a climate trend make. Most of their constituents don't understand the difference and so climb on to their respective high horses and scream, "See, SEE, I told you so!"

Throw in dishohest scientists who fudge data to fit a conclusion, as was uncovered recently, and you've got a unholy mess. Add in much of the media using words like "settled" and "consensus" when in fact there are reputable scientists who disagree, and it's no wonder your average Joe, who wants to do what's best for dear ol' earth, is confused.