PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 reloading

coelacanth2
02-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Phillip Allen, whadya like? Smokeless, please, it's going throgh a levergun. RCBS dies for that and the 338-378 coming in and I have a ton of brass for the 45-70. May invest in a Sharps at some point, also. I'd be interested in fairly "hot" loads for distance and hunting.

Phillip Allen
02-12-2010, 09:06 AM
IMR 4198 or 3031

you can come up with some serious Elmer Keith loads if you're short enough and wear a big hat...

screw your belly button down real tight or it'll kick your butt off

Phillip Allen
02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
pay attention to your bullet choice

those made for the 45-70 are designed to expand at slower velocities and if you steam it up and shoot at dangerous game you might be borrowing trouble

chasbartlett
02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
No .45-70, but Last week I separated Chuck (Paladin) from his 1885 Creedmore Model Winchester .45-90. but, the other half is a bit upset and said I should have bought her a new car instead. I managed to try it out this morning. I was given a box of handloads for it, but haven't the reloading information. Chuck was going with me, but had to go to dialysis, then found out he has emergency surgery again first thing in the morning. I should have borrowed his electronic ear protectors.

Phillip Allen
02-12-2010, 04:59 PM
that 45-90 will like black powder much better than smokeless...cast lead bullets too

chasbartlett
02-13-2010, 05:16 PM
The bullets that he gave me with the gun are handloaded black powder and I'm sure that he also cast the bullets, as he gave me the bullet molds and the hand loading dies, the kind that you make one at a time all in a little leather kit to tap in the cases and hand tools and a mallet to seat the primers etc...so now I have to read the book that he gave me. I have about 200 cast bullets and 2 pounds of black powder, Swiss type 4 and 1 1/2 Fg.....the notes say 71 grains powder, 405 grain bullet, and directions for making 2 seals, one a dry one and one a lubricated one....I may sit down with him next week to go over all this. At 350 meters, 6 bullets (after the first 3 fired) all ended up at about 10 o'clock in the bullseye.

paladin
02-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi Chas.....After you left this morning I went to the basement for something else...I forgot that I had a couple hundred more primed cases in plastic boxes that I had set out. I also found the second little lead melting pot that I bought 4-5 years ago when I misplaced mine while moving, and 15-20 pounds of lead that is perfect for bullets for that gun. That round was configured fo long range accurate shooting, not maximum horsepower. I bought it to participate in a traditional buffalo hunt maybe 10 years ago, and except for a few times at the range, never used it in the field again. Have fun with it. It's a lighter version of the traditional buffalo gun.

Phillip Allen
02-13-2010, 06:56 PM
The bullets that he gave me with the gun are handloaded black powder and I'm sure that he also cast the bullets, as he gave me the bullet molds and the hand loading dies, the kind that you make one at a time all in a little leather kit to tap in the cases and hand tools and a mallet to seat the primers etc...so now I have to read the book that he gave me. I have about 200 cast bullets and 2 pounds of black powder, Swiss type 4 and 1 1/2 Fg.....the notes say 71 grains powder, 405 grain bullet, and directions for making 2 seals, one a dry one and one a lubricated one....I may sit down with him next week to go over all this. At 350 meters, 6 bullets (after the first 3 fired) all ended up at about 10 o'clock in the bullseye.

that is a good load and not sissy at all (heavy compression...don't beat on em)

the Swiss is very good stuff and I like the 1 1/2 Fg for most uses
I like Federal 215 primers and SPG lube unless you want to make your own...in which case let me know and I'll give the recipe here on the forum

stick with whatever brand of cases you already have (Winchester is best for black powder)

paladin
02-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Phillip,
The cases, at least 250 of them, are Winchester....and the others came from a company called "Starline", and I have/had about 200 of those.

Phillip Allen
02-13-2010, 07:33 PM
the win cases will hold about 3 grains more powder than the starline...the implication is thinner brass for winchester...work up a smokless load for the starlline if you want just don't work up a heavy load for winchester cases then use the same load in a case with less capacity...the pressure goes up

okay, I'm off to have supper with the lovely Alice

paladin
02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I never intended to use anything other than black powder with this weapon...I suggested to Chas to stick with it also.

Phillip Allen
02-13-2010, 11:33 PM
I never intended to use anything other than black powder with this weapon...I suggested to Chas to stick with it also.

good plan