PDA

View Full Version : State of emergency comfort food.

perldog007
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Haven't seen a snowplow here since before the snow last Friday. We can technically travel, but are in a state of emergency and driving right now would be really really stupid. Too many folks who think that 4x4 badge on their vehicle is a magical amulet.

So tonight here at the dog compound we had my version of "The Big Nasty' which has been seen on a couple of travel channel shows. From a restaurant in the South Carolina low country.

A biscuit with a chicken fried boneless chicken breast, sausage gravy and grated cheddar cheese.

I made mine open faced, used bacon grease to fry the chicken and as shortening in the biscuit dough.

Completely killer, the compound is quiet as all the denizens are in a stupor laying around listening to their arteries clog. BUT DAMN IT WAS GOOD.

paladin
02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Same here...I made some home style sausage gravy, biscuits and some sausage patties made fresh, no nitrates etc...., no cheese. and also a couple "spicy chikkin deluxe sammiches made with lettuce, tomato, mayo and a spicy breaded coating on the chikkin.....then a couple of 80 mg renegel tablets. Followed by the applesauce cake with raisins and pecans with lemon sauce.....and fresh coffee.

katey
02-11-2010, 11:25 PM
No emergency here, but I made sourdough sandwich bread, a scary Burmese condiment, and Betty Winchenpaw's East Boothbay Peanut Butter Fudge today.

TimmS
02-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Snowed in here too, we made homemade pizza -Artichoke hearts, olives, pineapple, mushrooms, sauce from the garden this summer 50/50 white/whole wheat crust, several cheeses....... happy and quiet around here.

coelacanth2
02-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Been doing lotsa diging out, I tend to do the breakfasts. Today was rather prosaic, vanilla oatmeal with real maple syrup. Yesterray's were more fun - deersausage patties flanked by applewood smoked bacon, surrrounded by provolone and scrambled aigs, all on whole wheat. Scrambled the aigs in the bacon grease, a little shot of Chincoteague Pony hot sauce and we were ready to do some serious digging. Emeril Lagassi's coffee for a boost.
This evening, dinner thanks to the good wife was some really tasty spaghetti, veggies courtesy of the garden and some locally grown organic 'burger.

Robert L.
02-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Sushi, smoked mussels, mango juice. Fed the boys pizza.

jclays
02-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Spam, sliced rolled in sugar and fried. Make a sandwich with cole slaw or serve with steamed rice and peas like I used to eat on Guam. Both styles good.

The Bigfella
02-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Hammer & Tongs.... beer, that is. I've been out front swinging on a chainsaw in 100F heat and 50 plus humidity. The beer is definitely an emergency comfort food.

perldog007
02-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Been doing lotsa diging out, I tend to do the breakfasts. Today was rather prosaic, vanilla oatmeal with real maple syrup. Yesterray's were more fun - deersausage patties flanked by applewood smoked bacon, surrrounded by provolone and scrambled aigs, all on whole wheat. Scrambled the aigs in the bacon grease, a little shot of Chincoteague Pony hot sauce and we were ready to do some serious digging. Emeril Lagassi's coffee for a boost.
This evening, dinner thanks to the good wife was some really tasty spaghetti, veggies courtesy of the garden and some locally grown organic 'burger.

When I cooked for Marc Steele down your way ( Former Lampost Owner, now runs Azafran in Lewes ) he got Bison from that farm out on Rt. 9 ( I think ) it was outstanding. He also got some grass fed beef from somewhere local but that didn't make it out of the kitchen too often ;)