PDA

View Full Version : Over reaction

David W Pratt
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Just got back from the grocery store and noticed in the Boston Herald that Menino declared a snow day for the city-- for 2" of snow.

Michael D. Storey
02-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Here in Maryland they will close school in anticipation of snow that will sometimes never come.

Ian McColgin
02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
At the time the emergency was declared it appeared the storm would arrive late morning yesterday and, while predicted less than just south of Boston, would have turned the evening commute into the proverbial Charlie Foxtrot.

One reason for declaring early was to give residents who had to work the opportunity to get their cars off the streets and to publicly available snow emergency parking before going to work. So there were people who looked out in the morning, figured the whole deal was off, and left their cars, which were then towed or tickets before even one flake fell.

The mayor cancelled all fines and people who paid to ransom their cars are being reimbursed.

I guess it's better to err on the side of caution, expecially after seeing how the Mid-Atlantic was so woefully inept at dealing with their snow.

John of Phoenix
02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I was in Boston last New Years during a blizzard and was impressed with how well it was handled. It seemed like every third vehicle was a plow or sand/salt truck. Little, if any, trouble on the streets and freeways.

Bruce Hooke
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Coming from Minnesota I have to say I am still rather amazed at how "scared" of snow even relatively snowy places like southern New England are. My recollection is that in Minnesota we could get 12" of snow, ending at 2am and by 7am the streets were sufficiently clear for everything to run pretty normally...no school canceled, etc. My recollection is also that it was very rare for things to be canceled based on a forecast. Of course these are recollections from 25 years ago!

In the recent storm much of Rhode Island did pretty much what it sounds like Boston did...canceled lots of stuff in anticipation of the big storm that didn't come.

It is true that I think the weather is easier to forecast in Minnesota due to the lack of an ocean nearby to complicate the picture.

BrianY
02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Coming from Minnesota I have to say I am still rather amazed at how "scared" of snow even relatively snowy places like southern New England are....
In the recent storm much of Rhode Island did pretty much what it sounds like Boston did...canceled lots of stuff in anticipation of the big storm that didn't come.

I guess we have reason to be scared. In December of 2008 we had a snow storm that I recall wasn't predicted to be all that bad. Snow was supposed to start in the early afternoon in Boston and accumulate about 6 inches by midnight. Nothing too horrible, right?

Well it turned out that we got about 24 inches out of that one. All the businesses in Boston released their workers around 1pm when it became obvious that this was going to be something a bit more serious than anticipated. That led to major trafic jams as the snow piled higher and higher. I spent 8 hours in my car that day, driving what normally takes about 50 minutes.

From what the weather guys were saying, it looked like this storm had the potential to be almost as bad in terms of snow fall amounts and as bad in terms of timing (supposed to hit early afternoon and be really bad around commuter time). I stayed home, figuring that I didn't want to relive the past. Of course I felt stupid when it turned out to be a dud, but better safe than stuck in a snow drift, I guess.

Experience tells us to take the threat seriously and then laugh at yourself if things turn out to be better than expected. I guess that's better than not taking it serioulsy and tehn getting wacked.

Captain Blight
02-11-2010, 06:36 PM
They might as well just say "cold and snowy for the next six months" on the 15th of October and devote the air time to something sensible.

paladin
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Last trip we got 30 inches of snow, this time 24-26 inches more and we ain't got no emergency yet......what does emergency status get you, more fed money or something?

stoneyreef
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Coming from Minnesota I have to say I am still rather amazed at how "scared" of snow even relatively snowy places like southern New England are. My recollection is that in Minnesota we could get 12" of snow, ending at 2am and by 7am the streets were sufficiently clear for everything to run pretty normally...no school canceled, etc. My recollection is also that it was very rare for things to be canceled based on a forecast. Of course these are recollections from 25 years ago!

It is true that I think the weather is easier to forecast in Minnesota due to the lack of an ocean nearby to complicate the picture.

Your recollection is still correct. Lived here in Minnesota almost all my life and it is the same today as you have described it.

BrianY
02-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Last trip we got 30 inches of snow, this time 24-26 inches more and we ain't got no emergency yet......what does emergency status get you, more fed money or something?

A "Snow Emergency" means that certian restrictions on on street parking go into effect so that the snow plows, fire trucks, police and ambulances can get through. This is especially important in a city with such narrow and winding streets as Boston (no grid plan here). There may also be other things that happen - closings and cancellations and such, but as far as I know there's no fed money involved