PDA

View Full Version : Sir Charles Parsons

paladin
02-10-2010, 03:45 PM
On the 11th of Feb. 1931, Sir Charles Parsons passed away...the inventor of the steam turbine which revolutionized steam propulsion, in Kingston, Surrey, England.

David W Pratt
02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Speaking of Heroes, didn't he invent one about 300 BC?

Michael D. Storey
02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
On the 11th of Feb. 1931, Sir Charles Parsons passed away...the inventor of the steam turbine which revolutionized steam propulsion, in Kingston, Surrey, England.

I remember reading about TOM Sopwith, aviator, sailor, adventurer. I spent years wishing that I could have spoken to him. Well, one day about 20 years ago now, after at least 25 years of wishin that I had spoken to him, I read his obit. Died at over 100. The obit sed he answered his phone every day.
Moral? Do It Now.
Jusayin

Michael D. Storey
02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Definitely one of my heroes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Charles_Algernon_Parsons.jpg/440px-Charles_Algernon_Parsons.jpg

http://www.grantmaclaren.com/turbinia/turbinia2.jpg

Quite possibly the only son of an Earl to take a first class degree in Mathematics at Cambridge and then join an engineering firm in Newcastle as an ordinary apprentice.

Hey! Here's a great static display of a boat, an important one, not one to use, under a glass roof....send this idea to the Cutty Sark thread

dhic001
02-11-2010, 03:00 AM
Very clever man, and a fantastic boat. That run through the fleet at Spithead was probably the best marketing that could have been imagined.
Can someone build a working replica of Turbinia please.
Daniel

skuthorp
02-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Here is an early steam torpedo boat (not a good pic). A direct result of the display by Turbina at the fleet review.
http://intheboatshed.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/tb-hms.jpg

From my own collection

carioca1232001
02-11-2010, 06:56 AM
....Quite possibly the only son of an Earl to take a first class degree in Mathematics at Cambridge and then join an engineering firm in Newcastle as an ordinary apprentice.

A most unusual career for someome from the landed gentry.

It is held that the University of London, specifically University College, was the very first institution of higher learning in Britain to hold degree courses in 'engineering', predating the others by decades (JA Fleming was prof of eng at UCL in the late 1800īs); the standard procedure then was to take a degree in one of the exact sciences at Oxbridge and then rough it out as an apprentice on the shop floors, as Mr Parsons did.

carioca1232001
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Indeed, a man of extraordinary talent.

There was a cheerful mech. engr. at UCL who graduated the same year as myself (ī69), not quite the research enginer type, although he was sponsored by C & A Parsons (their official designation)

Heīd say to us : Great people to work with. The smallest device produced at my sponsorīs plant weighs at least a few tons ! :D

They sent him off to pursue an MBA at HBS immediately upon graduation.

Phillip Allen
02-11-2010, 04:15 PM
can you say Rateau stage?

paladin
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Prior to my decision to study electronics...I studied and had all the intentions of doing the work in aeronautical engineering. I read virtually all the material that I could find on turbines, turbine design and engineering, and the jet engine. I was actually amazed at the amount of work, and the quality of work and design that had been made well before the advent of computers. Using the information available at the time, and with assistance of some friends in mechanical engineering, we built a small multi stage turbine model, a steam turbine, using hydrogen peroxide generator for the steam generation. The device was to be used as a fuel pump on one of the rocket models that we were building. It is utterly amazing the amount of power a small model the size of a pill bottle can generate, and the power.....and to watch something that size spin up in a second or two to beyond 20,000 rpm, and run for close to 15 minutes before destroying itself, based on nearly 75 year old drawings, was fantastic.