PDA

View Full Version : Grenade launcher

paladin
02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
It appears that as of today I have one less "FRIEND" in the business....
Just over a year ago I was approached about doing the design for the smarts in the rangefinder apparatus, and designed a simple prototype to demonstrate the capability. My "friend" asked me to submit the paper, and garuanteed me the design contract.....well...now I know what his garuantees are like...seems they went ahead with the basic design on their own...the best part is that their system is more than twice as large and heavy as mine....I think I'll just give my design to a competitor........with the finished software...done for me by a friend at French NSA.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp154/paladinsfo1/grenaderifle.jpg
The Army is moving ahead smartly with its XM25 shoulder fired, semi-automatic 25mm grenade launcher with plans to spend $34 million on further development in 2011 and a production start slated for 2012, according to service budget documents. The Army plans to buy at least 12,500 of the weapons beginning in 2012, enough to put one in each infantry squad and special forces team, according to PEO Soldier.

The futuristic looking XM25 fires a “smart” High Explosive Airburst round out to around 600 meters. The smart round is a “counter defilade” round, designed to blast enemy infantry taking cover behind walls, cars, in trenches as well as enemy fighters dumb enough to be standing out in the open. The Army calls the weapon a “leap ahead” technology.

The XM25 uses a laser rangefinder to target the enemy, then the weapon’s micro-computer accounts for air pressure, temperature and the 25mm round’s ballistics, feeds that information to a microchip in the round itself programming it to detonate directly over the target. With a 600 meter effective range, it would provide small teams greatly enhanced lethality well beyond that of rifles and machine guns. The Army claims that tests showed the XM25 with the high-explosive round is 300 percent more lethal than current squad level weapons.

The XM25 could prove enormously useful to troops in Afghanistan battling Taliban insurgents that typically fire from the cover of tree lines and from behind mud walls. This is the first weapon, at least that I have seen, that could provide infantry with a lethal, accurate and effective grenade launcher that exceeds that of the ubiquitous RPGs carried by insurgent groups around the world.

One potential weakness I've noticed is that the XM25 only has a four round magazine. The Army believes the weapon's lethality will come from its pinpoint accuracy rather than rate of fire.

paladin
02-10-2010, 12:05 PM
In my prototype, the shoulder system has recoil springs which dampened the recoil....and the recoil without the padding system is about the same as a 3 inch 12 ga. round. I actually built the prototype rangefinder mechanism into an old aluminum extrusion used to house and early night vision scope system, modified to use AA batteries.