PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon

Tracey
02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Go on- tell me what to pick up on my way home from work tonight :D

Paul Pless
02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
It should come from Kentucky.

Wild Turkey or Maker's Mark - no reason to try get fancy. . .

Mrleft8
02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
J.W. Dant. George Dickel #12. Wild Turkey 101. Old Grand Dad 114.
"Rebel yell" is swill, as is Jack Daniel's. Jim Beam Black is OK.......

switters
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
woodford reserve, Labrot and Graham.

real oak barrels made by a cooper.

Michael D. Storey
02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
J.W. Dant. George Dickel #12. Wild Turkey 101. Old Grand Dad 114.
"Rebel yell" is swill, as is Jack Daniel's. Jim Beam Black is OK.......
Jack is not Bourbon. Sour Mash Whiskey is what it is. Not from Kentucky
Did get me through my Mother's Funeral, I will say.
Don't mean to dwell on the obvious

Paul Pless
02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
from work tonight :Dso what happened at work today?:eek::p

Tracey
02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Good day! Great day! Some days are just like that!

Rational Root
02-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Get something decent

The Macallan.com 18 y/o sherry cask.

If it's not old enough to date it, it's not old enough to drink it :D

Or

Middleton Very Rare.

D

SMARTINSEN
02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Donn--I did not think that sour mash and and the appelation of Bourbon were mutually exclusive. My understanding is that Bourbon is at least 51% corn mash, often but not necessarily from KY.

Tracy--I would vote for Maker's Mark

Rational Root--we're talking 'Murican whiskey here.:)

High C
02-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Maker's Mark for sipping.
Evan Williams black for mixing.

Mrleft8
02-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Bourbon is sourmash........ Not all sourmash is bourbon... Or so I was informed by a man who said he knew.

pmagowan
02-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Are you guys trying to preserve some wood? Two parts jack daniels one part tar. All available from local DIY store. Paint it on, sit back and admire your handy work while sipping on a nice Irish whiskey (powers or Bush) either neat or with a dash of water.

Tracey
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
It should come from Kentucky.

Wild Turkey - no reason to try get fancy. . .

Here's Jim: " Wild Turkey?! Are you lining up shots on the kitchen counter?!" LOL ;)

McMike
02-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Basil Haydens. But I could go on like Lew with rum ;)

Basil is one of the best and my fav.:)

SMARTINSEN
02-09-2010, 06:21 PM
"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields
___

Paul Pless
02-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Here's Jim: " Wild Turkey?! Are you lining up shots on the kitchen counter?!" LOL ;)Jim sounds excited at the prospect.

So that's what you got?:)

Jim Ledger
02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I'll have what Mrs. Legend is drinking.:D

Not a problem, Paul. The bottles only down about a quarter inch.:rolleyes::D mebbe she'll get a second wind;)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/searover1916/aaa.jpg

Canoez
02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I see Tracey has the same tolerance level as Mrs. Canoez...
:rolleyes:

Phillip Allen
02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
maybe some good ole Arkansas Radiator Drippins

delecta
02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I've drank plenty of all of them and they are all nasty, get a bottle of Crown Royal and be happy you have something more refined. :D

Phillip Allen
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I've drank plenty of all of them and they are all nasty, get a bottle of Crown Royal and be happy you have something more refined. :D

gasoline is refined...whisky is nasty...even blended whisky

Paul Pless
02-09-2010, 07:11 PM

gasoline is refined...whisky is nasty...even blended whiskystand by for blended whiky story...

I was on a fly-in fishing trip in Canada and our camp had a radio with a sign above it that said 'emergencies only'. The range of the radio wasn't long enough to reach all the way back to the seaplane base on The lake of the Woods, so if there was a need, your message had to be relayed from lake cabin to lake cabin back to base. So we're setting around one night and the radio cackles to life with an emergency to be relayed. One of my fishing buddies picks up the mic and asks what lake they're at and what the emergency is. Dude comes back with such and such lake and they've run out of blended canadian whiskey and would sho'nuf appreciate it if a couple or three gallons could be flown in tomorrow.:D

sounded like a legitimate emergency to me

Tom Montgomery
02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't drink the stuff, myself. Maker's Mark is the prettiest distillery by far. My brother, Jeff, has a barrel with his name on it aging in one of their warehouses.

Chip-skiff
02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Not my drink, but the Wolf Goddess recommends Maker's Mark.

pipefitter
02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Can't go wrong with WT or MM. We did a blind taste test of Jack, Evan Williams, WT and MM. We were allowed what seemed like a cap full of each to hold on the tongue. WT and MM are downright pleasant and changed the way that I 'sip' bourbon. Doing shots is not good with any of them IMO and is what turns most people off to bourbon.

Tracey
02-09-2010, 08:19 PM
What a range of taste and price!

After 15min deliberation in front of a half an aisle of various bottles, I went with Knob Creek (and not just for the label)

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php?id=143&task=displaybottling

- and we're not disappointed. :)

Tom Montgomery
02-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes, the grounds of the Maker's Mark distillery really are this lovely....

http://z.about.com/d/golftravel/1/0/K/9/-/-/makers1.jpg

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2600771-lg.jpg

http://www.glenlochy.com/spiritsafegallery/Makers%20Mark%20distillery%20USA%202004%20Christop her%20Carlsson.jpg-for-web-large-r.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/golftravel/1/0/M/9/-/-/mm3.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/golftravel/1/0/N/9/-/-/mm4.jpg
When you visit you may stick your finger in the vat and taste the beer.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/01/27/cm_louisville3.jpg

Paul Pless
02-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes, the grounds of the Maker's Mark distillery really are this lovely....That Bourbon Trail runs through a very lovely part of your state as well.:)

Nicholas Scheuer
02-09-2010, 08:25 PM
While in Dallas for a convention some thirty years ago I had some H.G.Wellers that was awfully good, straight. I can't drink most whiskies straight.

Which of the brands being thrown around here can compare with Wellers?

Moby Nick

Tom Montgomery
02-09-2010, 08:42 PM
That Bourbon Trail runs through a very lovely part of your state as well.:)

Oh yes!

One day the first year my ex-wife and I lived in Kentucky, we visited Lexington to visit my grandparent's graves. On the way home we decided to stick to backroads to see the countryside. We descended into the Kentucky River Valley. Upon reaching the river we followed the road along the river north, expecting to eventually hit Frankfort. But the road became narrower and narrower, then turned to dirt. At that point the river was to our left and a steep embankment was to our right. We did not have room to turn around. My wife was spooked and I caught her alarm. I started to imagine hearing dueling banjoes.

And then we came upon an abandoned distillery! It was probably done in by prohibition. We were able to turn around at that point and backtrack to civilization.

Mrleft8
02-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Go on- tell me what to pick up on my way home from work tonight :DFor you?...... Or for Jim?......;):eek::D

Tom Montgomery
02-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Tracey, I'm glad you are enjoying your bourbon. :)

But I also have to chuckle. When we locals hear "Knob Creek" this is what comes to mind: :eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhelwgBo-Rw&feature=youtube_gdata

Mrleft8
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Tracey, I'm glad you are enjoying your bourbon. :)

But I also have to chuckle. When we locals hear "Knob Creek" this is what comes to mind: :eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhelwgBo-Rw&feature=youtube_gdata :eek:

You guys are out of your FREAKIN'MINDS!!!!!

paladin
02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
I was on a fly-in fishing trip in Canada and our camp had a radio with a sign above it that said 'emergencies only'. The range of the radio wasn't long enough to reach all the way back to the seaplane base on The lake of the Woods, so if there was a need, your message had to be relayed from lake cabin to lake cabin back to base. So we're setting around one night and the radio cackles to life with an emergency to be relayed. One of my fishing buddies picks up the mic and asks what lake they're at and what the emergency is. Dude comes back with such and such lake and they've run out of blended canadian whiskey and would sho'nuf appreciate it if a couple or three gallons could be flown in tomorrow.

A full 90 % of the "emergency flights" that I made in Alaska were booze runs...and I charged a heavy premium for hauling a load of hi test alcohol with a plane full of av gas.....and I got it...most guys wouldn't run a charter flight with a load of booze. Never beer...always whiskey, vodka or gin.

PatCox
02-09-2010, 10:02 PM
My favorite is Bookers. Makers Mark is good, too. The good bourbons are a relative bargain, compared to the top scotches.

PatCox
02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
And I Loooove knob creek, which to me, with its realtively decent price, wins the price to value ration contest.

But I will also say this, as a strong recomendation, over buying bourbon for drinking straight: Bourbon Manhattans are divine, simply, absolutely divine. My recipe is for what they call a "perfect" manhattan, its bourbon, and both white and red vermouth, and bitters, and a lemon twist, and yes, I also like to rub the rim of the glass with a lemon, and then put it in the freezer and freeze it.

Lets say, 1/3 oz dry (white) vermouth, 1/3 ounce sweet (red) vermouth, 2 ounces of bourbon, 3 shakes of bitters, shake it up in a shaker with crushed ice, and strain into that frozen martini glass with lemon frozen on the rim.

You can use cheap bourbon, or 10 High, but make it with Makers Mark, its Nirvana.

Tom Montgomery
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
My beloved aunt, born in Louisville and raised in Lexington, got smashed every night on Manhattans. Memories....

Kevin G
02-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Booker's is the one.

24hacker
02-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Bourbon is made only in Kentucky - all the other is whiskey - Bookers, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Old Weller, Bullett, Maker's Mark - all very good. The Bourbon trail in Kentucky is a great trip - most distillers are way back off the beaten path - you have to drive on narrow roads through horse country - very beautiful.

Popeye
02-10-2010, 10:28 AM
she grabbed my jim beam , so i showed her my canadian club

~ blues brothers , i think

Mrleft8
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I just tipped a sip of Dr. Dickel....... Smoooooooooth!

Tracey
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I just tipped a sip of Dr. Dickel....... Smoooooooooth!

Glad I thought of it-- it's just the thing after shovelling :)

Any recipes over at that Pub of yours for a hot drink?

Paul Pless
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Any recipes over at that Pub of yours for a hot drink?The best hot drinks aren't made with bourbon. Which just means you have a grand excuse to go back to the liquor store.:D

Hot Toddies made with brandy
Hot Buttered Rum made with umm... Rum
Warmed and Spiced Hard Ciders
Irish Coffee, made with Bushmills and Baileys

Tracey
02-10-2010, 05:22 PM
The best hot drinks aren't made with bourbon. Which just means you have a grand excuse to go back to the liquor store.:D

Hot Toddies made with brandy
Hot Buttered Rum made with umm... Rum
Warmed and Spiced Hard Ciders

Well, damn. Too much snow. Guess we'll just keep sippin' it straight.

Tracey
02-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Oh, you just reminded me how much I love Jamaican Coffee: Tia Maria is sublime...

Paul Pless
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
I've been working outside in the snow most of the afternoon... plowing, putting salt out on the steep parts of the drive, cutting and stacking firewood, etc... etc...

Just built up a nice fire in the bedroom, brought in enough wood for the night, got dinner in the oven. Gonna run the dogs one more time.

Then its Irish Coffee time for me I think!

Tracey
02-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Damn, you're good ;)

pipefitter
02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
In Boulder, the early cold day favorite was Benedictine, brandy and coffee.

Mrleft8
02-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Glad I thought of it-- it's just the thing after shovelling :)

Any recipes over at that Pub of yours for a hot drink?

Straight sourmash neat will warm you right up! ;)

Popeye
02-11-2010, 09:48 AM
anyone tried a hot dickens cider ?