PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth... being too inclusive perhaps

Paul Pless
02-09-2010, 10:01 AM
wtf :D

local governments have in the recent past made admirable attempts to be more culturally inclusive by printing official documents in various languages.

However, one city council might have let its enthusiasm run away with itself - by printing taxi-driver licence applications in braille.

In a move that is almost certainly the first of its kind, the forms can also be printed and downloaded in large print or audio format people with sight problems.
A note on the portsmouth city council website says the documents can be downloaded in large print, braille or audio.

The lib-dem controlled local authority defended the decision.

'obviously, a taxi driver would not need the braille version, but they might find a foreign language version helpful,' a spokesperson told the sun.

Popeye
02-09-2010, 10:07 AM
my drive-up automatic banking machine has braille

Brian Palmer
02-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Does seem a bit farfetched, but perhaps a blind/visually impaired person would help an illiterate or non-English speaking person complete the form?

We get it all the time that people ranting about the fact drive-up ATMs have braille, but they are simply the same ATMs also used for walk up sites.

Brian

Dan McCosh
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM

So does mine.

Michael D. Storey
02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
About braille:
You see it every where, with no standard distance from the door, no standard distance off of the floor. If you are blind, how do you find the sign? Maybe a listener thingie (Sarah Palin-ese) like museum visitors use, What? Any ideas? Hey, there's a gov't research grant goin unclaimed here.

Paul Pless
02-09-2010, 06:34 PM
If you are blind, how do you find the sign? by touch:eek:

Mad Scientist
02-09-2010, 11:45 PM
There are a few legally-blind people who are able to drive with sufficiently-powerful glasses. A former co-worker had 3 pairs of glasses - one for driving, one for reading and a third for everything else, such as getting around without walking into things.

But anyone who needs a Braille form probably can't see well enough to drive...

BTW, STV Lord Nelson has a 'talking' compass repeater, for visually-impaired helmsmen.

Tom

capnharv
02-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by Popeye

So do McDonald's Drive-thrus